Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 11:31   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Best websites for prospective boat buyer

Hey folks,

My wife and I are slowly getting more serious about buying a boat. We live in New Zealand, but I'm starting to realise that we would save a great deal of money by purchasing either in the states or Malaysia... This being the case, I know I should really expand my habitual boat site surf to include sites that sell out of these areas.

There's a plethora of information, but I haven't been able to figure out yet, just where I should be looking...

We will buy a 38 - 45 foot cat, and will spend something in the vicinity of $200k USD. The dream is to be cruising liveaboards...

Anyway, lets not get too distracted with what we will buy, the question for now is... What are the best websites to be looking at for a prospective buyer?
Wannabe-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 11:52   #2

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Best websites for prospective boat buyer

Yachtworld.com is probably the largest collection of boats for sale on the web, with most being brokered.
Old 20-11-2012, 12:18   #3

Boat: Rhodes 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
Yachtworld.com is probably the largest collection of boats for sale on the web, with most being brokered.
YW is broker only. SailboatListings.com seems like the next best thing for FSBO and brokerage boats. Good luck.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

Yes, Sailboat Listings takes some beating, and for a few tips as to where else to look try Read These Used Sailboat Buying Tips and Save Yourself a Pile of Cash!
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 12:35   #5

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies. I've just stepped out of my little cocoon and been blinded by the dazzling light from the enormous amount of boats for sale. Fantastic, I can really start whittling away at my criteria.
I'm amassing reading material at the moment, so have added the 'how to buy a used sailboat' link to my bookmarks.
Old 20-11-2012, 13:01   #6

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
YW is broker only.
True enough, though "dealers" (new boat inventory) are also welcome to post a Yachtworld listing. Just to be clear, you won't find private/individual pre-owned listings.
Old 20-11-2012, 14:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Where to find boats for sale is one thing however may I humbly suggest you take a look at my website. I have dozens of articles on Boat Values, Buying an Older Boat, Safe Propane Installations, How to Choose a Marine Surveyor, Buying a Hurricane Boat and probably most important "Marine Survey 101" with over 90 photos that shows you how to inspect your prospective purchase before you hire a surveyor.
Old 20-11-2012, 14:33   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
Wow, thanks for the speedy replies. ..
Wait..there's more coming

Catamarans for sale by owner
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:40   #9

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

I bought mine off of sailboat listings.....get a better deal that way
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:57   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Hey folks,

My wife and I are slowly getting more serious about buying a boat. We live in New Zealand, but I'm starting to realise that we would save a great deal of money by purchasing either in the states or Malaysia... This being the case, I know I should really expand my habitual boat site surf to include sites that sell out of these areas.

There's a plethora of information, but I haven't been able to figure out yet, just where I should be looking...

We will buy a 38 - 45 foot cat, and will spend something in the vicinity of $200k USD. The dream is to be cruising liveaboards...

Anyway, lets not get too distracted with what we will buy, the question for now is... What are the best websites to be looking at for a prospective buyer?
The States I understand but why do you say Malaysia?
Old 20-11-2012, 19:40   #11

Yachtworld is a nice site. The search functions, and ability to create alerts etc is exactly what I wanted. The idea being I can start to really understand the market. I think of boat agents in much the same manner as a real estate agent... Of course I'd rather buy privately and save the cost of the commission, but I understand some of the ways an agent can/will add value, so i'm not opposed to letting them earn their money. (I'll also make a point, at some point, of getting a much better understanding of their value).

The other sites given are also really useful for me, and when this thread 'dies', i'll make a wee summary post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles
The States I understand but why do you say Malaysia?
Pretty much just rumour and heresay... the same way i'm learning most things... Surely the internet is never wrong!?
I'm very uneducated, but from what I gather, Malaysia has a pretty healthy yachting / cruising scene, and also tends to act as a bit of a natural stopping point for a good number of cruisers who then decide to sell up and go back to a 'normal' life. (particularly Americans who dont like the prospects of sailing against the tradewinds, or heading to higher latitudes to go home). Now there's an idea, maybe I just set up in Malaysia, and sail cats back to the US the harder way... Sounds good to me, but i'm not sure that wifey would consider it 'cruising'.
I digress...

I am stoked to confirm that my '200k' will stretch much further than I thought. This means I I can either spend less of the banks money, or buy a bigger boat for my budget. Having said that, i'm not a handyman, so i'll probably pay an above average price and get something that requires a little less maintenance (if thats possible for a boat).
Old 20-11-2012, 20:20   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Yachtworld is a nice site. The search functions, and ability to create alerts etc is exactly what I wanted. The idea being I can start to really understand the market. I think of boat agents in much the same manner as a real estate agent... Of course I'd rather buy privately and save the cost of the commission, but I understand some of the ways an agent can/will add value, so i'm not opposed to letting them earn their money. (I'll also make a point, at some point, of getting a much better understanding of their value).

The other sites given are also really useful for me, and when this thread 'dies', i'll make a wee summary post.

Pretty much just rumour and heresay... the same way i'm learning most things... Surely the internet is never wrong!?
I'm very uneducated, but from what I gather, Malaysia has a pretty healthy yachting / cruising scene, and also tends to act as a bit of a natural stopping point for a good number of cruisers who then decide to sell up and go back to a 'normal' life. (particularly Americans who dont like the prospects of sailing against the tradewinds, or heading to higher latitudes to go home). Now there's an idea, maybe I just set up in Malaysia, and sail cats back to the US the harder way... Sounds good to me, but i'm not sure that wifey would consider it 'cruising'.
I digress...

I am stoked to confirm that my '200k' will stretch much further than I thought. This means I I can either spend less of the banks money, or buy a bigger boat for my budget. Having said that, i'm not a handyman, so i'll probably pay an above average price and get something that requires a little less maintenance (if thats possible for a boat).
Yea, I've heard that too but it's pretty much rumor or urban legend!

Here's YW's listing for cats in your price range in Malaysia, and one looks to be a duplicate.

(Sail) Catamaran Boats For Sale Malaysia

Same search for the US and the Caribbean will give you several pages of listings.

Of course, you only need one.
Old 20-11-2012, 20:35   #13

Fair enough, your point is made. Its only a couple more listings than I find at home