Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 13:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Antenna for Iridium Go

Any recommendations? I already have LMR400 cable run to my pushpit (for my Globalstar phone), but I need the antenna. Don't think I want to buy the marine kit, because I don't need the cabling.

And I suppose that an indoor antenna is no good, even though I have only a GRP coachroof above?

Grateful for all tips.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 13:22   #2

Re: Antenna for Iridium Go

... any antenna intended for the Iridium GO!, Iridium 9500, 9505, 9505A, ... will work.

E.g.

Aero Fixed Mast Antenna

https://www.expeditionstechnik.de/ir...winderohr.html

https://www.expeditionstechnik.de/ir...UaArzoEALw_wcB

And any outside mounted antenna will normally outperform the antenna on the GO! because of the 'better view towards the satellite'.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423

I was very disappointed with the results of the marine kit. I didn't get as far as installing it but in testing in an open area I didn't think it really added to the performance. The guy that owns this place www.mjsales.net seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. I was going to try an antenna recommended by him but ultimately just used it from our nav station. If signal was sketchy like when I was trying to down load a large weather data set, I put it under the dodger. That worked fine for us. I also never had much success using the voice calling mode. Maybe that was due to not having a good external antenna. Again, it wasn't something we really needed.

Harry
s/v Juno
juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 23:24   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

when I did the Fremantle to Bali a few years ago we had a Iridium Go mounted at the nav station with no aerial and it worked fine. Was a beneteau oceanis 42 CC. We were downloading grib files, sending texts and the occasional phone call no problem.

Maybe test it out first without the aerial and see what results you get.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 00:07   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

We used our IridiumGo for several years in the Sea of Cortez without an external antenna. We often lost the signal when using apps like PredictWind, Sailmail, etc., even if we put the unit in the cockpit under the dodger or on top of a solar panel.

We installed the IridiumGo external antenna in 2018(worst piece of cable that I have ever had to run in the boat because of its diameter and weird lack of flexibility).

The installation was worth it. Connections never drop and upload/download times are faster.
Old 15-02-2020, 01:40   #6

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
We used our IridiumGo for several years in the Sea of Cortez without an external antenna. We often lost the signal when using apps like PredictWind, Sailmail, etc., even if we put the unit in the cockpit under the dodger or on top of a solar panel.

We installed the IridiumGo external antenna in 2018(worst piece of cable that I have ever had to run in the boat because of its diameter and weird lack of flexibility).

The installation was worth it. Connections never drop and upload/download times are faster.
Just finished installing the external antenna. You are so right about the cable. Lots of swearing when running it through lockers & behind bulkheads. Then trying to loop the excess!!!
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, iridium