Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2013, 21:01   #1

Yacht Club Rant

Ok, im not going to name the names etc so this doesnt show up in search results... But want some external opinions.

My yacht club is changing the keys right now. I paid my associate membership just 3 months ago, $1700 in initiation and annual dues. As an associate member, i get no moorage rights, i cant run for the board, vote, or do much of anything other than use th facilities. Because i dont live in the municipality of my yacht club, i cant qualify to be a full member.

I co own a boat with a fellow who is a long time 12 year member. We decided to keep the boat there when i bought in. The board wanted my $2million proof of liability and my associate membership so i could have keys and make use of the facilities, to which i happily obliged as i saw it to be a great way to meet other boaters.

They have a 8 volunteer hour requirement, to which ive suggested a lot of things, ranging from embroidering yacht club swag, improving the on dock net service, even a way to make the club tens of thousands of dollars and the board keeps blowing me off - most specifically the president. This is getting rediculous. The embroidery, which wasnt a priority before i joined, they now have a business that will do it at full dollar, he is happy to continue to pay through the nose for net service that nobody wants because its $50 a month, something i could set up for $10 per device for life with faster and better service. I offered to help with the website but they have some web guy who does that for top dollar too.

Well the latest drama is the new keys. Despite paying my $1700 in full and being up and current, i now cant get my keys or my membership card because... Get this... The member im partnered on the boat is behind on his moorage. That might make sense, if it was my slip. But im not allowed to have a slip as an associate member. The guy im partnered on the boat with could buy me out and boot me out of his slip at any time with no involvement from the club - im not allowed to have a slip. I call the president and give him an earful; he says well if i want to forefeit my membership let him know.

I look through the bylaws and a member gets keys, a card, and a burgee. Im in good standing, so i qualify. But he tells me why would i need keys if i didnt have a boat?

Complicating matters is that the guy im partnered on the boat with is well known to be out of country for the entire winter. He knows this, everyone knows this. He keeps telling me to get this guy to pay the moorage and until then, i have no rights. Infuriates the hell of me... I mean you can cap this guys moorage slip and maybe i need to move the boat... But its like my membership is useless because they hold this guys late payment against me, i cant even access the docks despite paying.

Its not like the bill is big either. Its 450 for moorage and im sure this pattern is normal as hes out of country every winter and he pays every year when he gets back and checks his mail. They could just call his wife who is here and she would pay; but instead they withhold my keys card and burgee and get me to make him pay.

Rant rant. It feels like extortion. He doesnt pay so you are screwed. The bylaws dont say anything oher than that a member paid in good standing gets keys.

I want to chuck this guy in the water next time i see him on the docks. Grrr

Thoughts?
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht