Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 19:39   #1

Boat: Hunter 33.5, Wildwood II
A couple years away

Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this thread.

I have amassed a small cruising kitty, it should be enough to sustain me for a decade of so, more if I work seasonally, so it is time to start finding a boat. I'd like to leave in the next two years.

As for my cruising plans, I have no aspirations of blue water nor do I want a huge boat. I will be solo most of the time with an occasional guest. I have not found a boat I have fell in love with yet,I had a hunter 33.5 and did not like it (the sails were to big, it was difficult to raise and lower the main)

I would be much appreciative of boat advice, my current favorite boat is the Fisher 25 followed by the Dana. I'd like a boat with a smart layout.

thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 19:44   #2

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: A couple years away

I'll be interested to see the replies - it seems your main complaint with the Hunter is the weight of the sails.

I had a Hunter 35 and it seems like it would suit your requirements very well, except for this peculiar concern about the sails being too heavy.

Those old hunters are nicely laid out, pretty solid, well outfitted, and inexpensive. I would think a solution could be found for sailhandling that did not include pitching the entire design.

I suspect that there is more to this story than you're saying.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 19:49   #3

Thank you for the reply.

As for the sail, I dreaded having to raise it, and would leave it up till docked.

Besides the sail, the boat was great at dock, six people could play poker. I'd really like something smaller.
Old 05-03-2013, 19:58   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

welcome to the forum.

you're ahead of the game if you realize that you want something easily singlehanded, and not overly large. There are any number of boats that can suit that bill. You may want to look into catboats such as the Nonsuch line, or cutters, such as the Baba 35, the Hans Christian 34, et cetera.

A difficult-to-raise main is often just a rigging problem. Any good rigger should be able to propose solutions that don't break the bank. However, from reading the original post, it sounds to me that a good starting point in this situation would be to explore various styles of rigs, find one that feel right for your plans, and then find a boat with that rig that feels like home. In other words, start with the rig, not the brand.

Best wishes in your boat search.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:24   #5

Hmm. I have a 32' yacht which I sail alone. I am also retired and cannot jump mountains or anything near that.
That size is ok but not comfortable particularly when you have to stow spare sails etc.
Add another person (which in my case is unlikely but nevertheless one prefers to keep the possibility alive) and it is ok at least to my mind but not comfortable.
I kinda wonder how much experience you have.
Going into a dock with the main up seems a bit hairy as a general rule.
On the other hand I agree that raising and lowering the main singlehanded can be anxiety provoking.
Desirably one could do this from the cockpit, however I am a bit sceptical about this. It would be ok with a well thought out system and an autopilot. Holding the boat to windward can be an issue even with a novice crew (how do I tell which way the wind is blowing from and which way do I turn the tiller?)
The boat can also be bouncing about so you need handholds, even maybe granny bars.
Probably more importantly you need a flaking system, which is cheap to rig yourself - lazy jacks (took a while to remember the term).
My suspicion is you need more time on the water as well as finding ways to make it easy on yourself - like an electric capstan. You will of course have more free time to wait out weather. deep reefs to make it easier etc.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:26   #6

PS. Are there a lot of yachts in Los Vegas?
Old 05-03-2013, 20:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
PS. Are there a lot of yachts in Los Vegas?
Quite a few, actually.

As for experience, i've been sailing since I was a teenager with large gaps of time.. Before the hunter I had a 28 foot (cant think of the brand) and was out with it every weekend, with ease.

Proof that we have water

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...755_5449_n.jpg
Old 06-03-2013, 22:55   #8

Hmm I thought it was desert and I can't even spell it. Oh well not my territory.
Seriously, you are quite free to choose whatever size boat you feel you can handle.
However I do think that for an older person probably alone finding a safe easy way to raise and lower sails is an issue. It shouldn't be a problem physically although I don't know your boat set up. Just going over some basics despite your experience you may or may not have thought of them. Silicone on the track can help. Lazy jacks do help a lot. Halyard led to the cockpit can help, though how practical that is I am unsure.
A tiller pilot is a big help.
I think psychologically and physically there can be an issue. It can be a bit demanding in a sea or even a moderate chop to maintain your balance, hang on with one hand and work a sail with another particularly as something often goes wrong. OK with a good crew and maybe if you are young and fit, however in my experience it can be stressful if not.
Hence handholds even granny bars if helpful (you ain't competing with young athletes for image).
I think on a smaller boat although the main may be smaller, really the stability will probably be worse so you will have much the same issues.
Of course I don't know of any specific oddities of the hunter. Rather I am trying to address and acknowledge, as is rarely done, the specific issues of an older person sailing.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:10   #9

Boat: Privilege 37

When I got my boat, the mainsail was a pig to raise, even using a Lewmar 40 winch. I tried all sorts f stuff on the slides, thinking that was the problem. The stress on the winch even caused a hairline crack in the base of the winch.

I discovered that the pulley at the top of the mast was frozen solid. Numerous applications of warmed water with fairy liquid attacked the old grease and eventually freed of the pulley completely. Now I just need the winch for the last couple of feet of sail (and mine is a lot bigger than yours)
Old 07-03-2013, 03:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A couple years away

Get a size of boat that suits your comfort-build quality requirements between 30-35ft with a decent engine and just ignore the main... from what you've said you do not really need it.
A good furling genoa set up is all you need to cruise.. just pick your weather windows to suit...
The 'sailors' will disagree on silly points but that IS all you need to get around... most of my crossing have been Genoa 90% of the time with the main set up on the 3rd reef in case of bad weather and needing to heave to.. everything can then be done from the cockpit... and raising and lowering what amounts to a dinghy mainsail is zero stress.. your in no hurry..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59   #11

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

So now we are back to the OP's original question - suggestions for a smartly laid out boat, not too large, which is easily single-handed.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19   #12

Without "aspirations of blue water" yo have a huge bunch of boats to choose from. The Fisher and Dana are very different boats; the Dana is a great little sailor and the Fisher is more of a motorsailor... although I like them! Both are pretty small, but you know that. A more modern design will give you more useable space in a small boat, so keep that in mind. For ease of sailing... a Freedom comes to mind... The longer the boat, the faster it will be...... I know I never got used to the 3.5 knots I would get out of my Contessa 26.... as well as the wet ride from the narrow beam...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote