Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 13:12   #76

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton
Re: Where does the young cruiser roam?

Gee... If you want to "hang" with people your own age why even get a boat at all? There are plenty of places to hang without the boat. I've read several books about young people getting a sailboat for adventure, seeing the world, taking life head on and seeing where and what it brings them. I don't recall any of them say they were looking for a place to hang with people just like them. I don't seem to talk to any young people any more, it seems they don't even talk to one another. I was at a restaurant one evening where meals cost about $40 to $60 for two people and this young couple dressed rather nicely was dining, neither of them look away from their phones to even look at one another, they were just texting away. I asked my 30 year old daughter if she thought that was odd and she informed me that it's not odd they were texting each other.
I can only assume you can hang with young people where there is plenty of free WIFI is my guess. Waiting for baby boomers to die off so you can get a deal?? Now that's funny, must be generational humor though. It just doesn't cross a young persons mind to actually go out and work for something you want, just wait long enough and it will be given to you. Guess that's why there are 30 yr olds still living with their aging parents, so they can get first dibs on the good stuff before anyone else gets to the house.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:05   #77

Boat: Vancouver 27

As a young cruiser, I empathize with the OPs desire to occasionally share the experience with folks their age. That's not a dig against older cruisers. And it doesn't mean you don't enjoy other company as well. I've got far more cruising friends that are my parents age than my own.

If you feel ok disparaging an entire generation of people, old or young, to me that's a telltale sign that you need to get out there and mix it up more. Incidentally, that's one of the great things about going cruising.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 14:35   #78

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
Gee... If you want to "hang" with people your own age why even get a boat at all? There are plenty of places to hang without the boat. I've read several books about young people getting a sailboat for adventure, seeing the world, taking life head on and seeing where and what it brings them. I don't recall any of them say they were looking for a place to hang with people just like them. I don't seem to talk to any young people any more, it seems they don't even talk to one another. I was at a restaurant one evening where meals cost about $40 to $60 for two people and this young couple dressed rather nicely was dining, neither of them look away from their phones to even look at one another, they were just texting away. I asked my 30 year old daughter if she thought that was odd and she informed me that it's not odd they were texting each other.
I can only assume you can hang with young people where there is plenty of free WIFI is my guess. Waiting for baby boomers to die off so you can get a deal?? Now that's funny, must be generational humor though. It just doesn't cross a young persons mind to actually go out and work for something you want, just wait long enough and it will be given to you. Guess that's why there are 30 yr olds still living with their aging parents, so they can get first dibs on the good stuff before anyone else gets to the house.
God please save me from becoming a grumpy old man.
Old 05-01-2019, 15:19   #79

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
God please save me from becoming a grumpy old man.
I know a couple of folks well in their 80s who accomplished that. From what I can tell it's about keeping an open mind, listening and giving answers which actually match the question. As long as people cherish your presence & input you won't get grumpy. So from my point of view you're doing good.

Folks who just start to ramble the same bs every time they encounter a keyword will felt unheard and get frustrated because nobody wants to talk to them.

This thread is a pretty good example, there's a couple of folks just giving answers to the question, plenty unsolicited advise and even some offending stuff/insinuation/...

And funnily enough, being an old grumpy man has not really something to do with age, my dad for example proved you can accomplish that in your 30s.

... and to get back on track I hypothesize that you'll find some young sailors everywhere where sailing is a thing with the locals because that leads to sailing clubs, ...
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 15:27   #80

Sad to say, most grown young people are sitting in a darkened room in their parents home texting, playing video games, etc.
I know whereof I speak ( Just try to even PAY a young person to to do something physical, and see what happens).
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 15:38   #81

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Sad to say, most grown young people are sitting in a darkened room in their parents home texting, playing video games, etc.
I know whereof I speak ( Just try to even PAY a young person to to do something physical, and see what happens).
Yeah, thanks for the example. We appreciate your effort. This has already been stated a couple of times though, repeating it does not make the claim more credible.
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 17:41   #82
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The silver lining
Cheer up, millennials! It will become easier to buy a house

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...to-buy-a-house

True for boats too I'm sure
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:13   #83

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Marathon or Key West living on derelict boats of all shapes and sizes, is where you find them. They arent sailing, they are liveaboards.

Then again, you can find SV Delos and follow them around.
Old 06-01-2019, 13:02   #84

Boat: Sausalito 32 aka Aries 32

I'm a relative youngster who will be setting out this spring. I intend to crash through the Golden Gate and head somewhere new, haven't decided where just yet. As another commenter pointed out, this is intended as a journey of discovery so I'll either follow where my heart leads me or flip my trusty silver doubloon. 😉

The first choice will be north or south. Should I turn right I'll be in the Puget Sound by winter, where I would likely explore until the following spring. Then the Straight of Georgia would lead me up to Alaska in spring of 2020. Maybe a winter up north, maybe not. Maybe an arctic passage, maybe not. If I head south I'll probably get to Mexico for winter, then I have no idea whether I'd shoot west, explore the sea of Cortez, or just continue down to South America. I want to learn tango in Argentina as much as I would like to experience Alaska, so the odds are all pretty even, haha!

If anyone is looking for an Aries 32/Roughwater 33/Sausalito 32, I will be listing my 2nd boat for sale next month. 😁

Hope to meet lots of folks out there!

Michael
MilleniumWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:06   #85

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop

I suggest you drink on it, you might even learn something about grandpa (he's buying) & grandma, for example it takes a village, well a village sized bar tab to get grandma out of her spanks, dentures & depends and party likes it's 1899!!

My advice..

Live fast, die young, leave a body with a crab crawlin out your nose..

Guns & Chicken's
BVI

Jack's Shack Beach Bar
Turks and Caicos Islands

Kon Tiki Bar and Grill
St John's

Elvis Beach Bar
Anguilla

Kaibo Beach Bar & Grill
Cayman Islands

Bom Bom Beach Bar
Bocas del Toro