Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 21:23   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
ROAM

My god! I am in love. What a beautiful boat. It's a custom designed Craig Schionning Spirited 480!

Here is a tour of the boat, and one of the Tasmanian builder/owners vids showing ROAM blasting along on approach to New Calidonia. Great fun to watch!

The Boat.

https://vimeo.com/149910133

The performance.

WANT!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 00:14   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: ROAM

Nice design. Anyone got a spare $1,000,000 so I can buy one?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

The Build

the VESSEL — Sail Surf ROAM
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Building a custom design is awesome.

What I love is this:

Gorgeous.

If it was my vessel, I would have put the Nav station forward and ability to steer from there.

Its not my boat and each to their own needs and requirements, but no one can complain about its functionality and beauty...

Lovely lovely Cat.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:22   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'll take one!!
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:15   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I liked the rounded corners everywhere.

I didn't like the helmsman getting wet in a shower, but I can live with it.

I didn't like 3 people up on top folding in a reef, but that's fixable.

If the engine access is through those external hatches on the back steps that's a deal killer.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have lived in smaller houses and the speed with the Genoa rolled away and the main just gently flapping from side to side gosh, now were is that lottery ticket
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:42   #8

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Lovely web site and overview of the build,

Sadly most of the future cats owners on this forum seem to think Condos are the future, but clearly this boat is a sailors boat,

Check out all of their you tube video as lots on the adventures so far.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Lovely web site and overview of the build,

Sadly most of the future cats owners on this forum seem to think Condos are the future, but clearly this boat is a sailors boat,

Check out all of their you tube video as lots on the adventures so far.
Sadly some on this forum seem to think that different strokes for different folks as something to be critical off.

I agree Roam is a lovely boat and it works well for the needs of it's owners. But those needs are different than mine or others. Please respect that not everyone wants a high end performance catamaran. Some of us like condos that plug along.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Sadly some on this forum seem to think that different strokes for different folks as something to be critical off.

I agree Roam is a lovely boat and it works well for the needs of it's owners. But those needs are different than mine or others. Please respect that not everyone wants a high end performance catamaran. Some of us like condos that plug along.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Many people might not otherwise be attracted to the sailing or cruising lifestyle, like my wife for instance, were it not for the very creature comforts afforded by those vessels. I actually think that the burgeoning condomaran market will be nothing but good for the industry as a whole.

As a for instance, I sold my main mode of transportation, my motorcycle, over a year ago, in favor of a high end true electric pedal assist mountain bike. I ride it daily, and now commute everywhere on it, but I am often questioned or scorned by those who consider themselves true enthusiasts, about how I am somehow "cheating" by riding electric assist. I ask if they would prefer I was in a car? Point is, it doesn't matter how or what you use to get out there, it's the fact that one is out there to begin with that's important. Diversity of options is nothing but good for encouraging expanded participation, and as participation flourishes, options increase, and peoples tasted change. That condomaran owner might be tomorrows ROAM owner. Who knows. In the mean time, it really makes no difference.

Sail on!\\

Oh... in the mean time....

38 degrees up wind at wind speed in light air. Drool.....

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Apoligies for the thread drift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Many people might not otherwise be attracted to the sailing or cruising lifestyle, like my wife for instance, were it not for the very creature comforts afforded by those vessels. I actually think that the burgeoning condomaran market will be nothing but good for the industry as a whole.

As a for instance, I sold my main mode of transportation, my motorcycle, over a year ago, in favor of a high end true electric pedal assist mountain bike. I ride it daily, and now commute everywhere on it, but I am often questioned or scorned by those who consider themselves true enthusiasts, about how I am somehow "cheating" by riding electric assist. I ask if they would prefer I was in a car? Point is, it doesn't matter how or what you use to get out there, it's the fact that one is out there to begin with that's important. Diversity of options is nothing but good for encouraging expanded participation, and as participation flourishes, options increase, and peoples tasted change. That condomaran owner might be tomorrows ROAM owner. Who knows. In the mean time, it really makes no difference.

Sail on!
It really does make a difference. In that the number & type of quality products available, which are oriented towards true sailors, gets greatly diminished by this slewing of the market's orientation. Both in terms of the types of boats which are readily available, & the gear for them.

So then the market caters to the lowest common denominator like this, & dumbs down a lot of things Such as "navigation" for example. Then you have folks out there sailing, who think that they know what they're doing, but don't possess much in the way of depth of experience. Which can, & does lead to more ugly (dangerous) situations, needlessly.

Imagine a swimmer who's very good in the pool, who based on this thinks that they can swim anywhere they like in the ocean. When in reality, they have no background in judging all of the hazards presented by such. A 1km pool swim, & 1/2nm in the ocean are vastly different animals.

In sailing, it's this kind of mindset which has Epirbs commonly being triggered simply because folks are scared, not because they're truly in danger Unlike the very, very real dangers which transpire once it's triggered.

It's not that I want to keep sailing exclusive, but I can't understand the mindset of buying a 45', $500,000 boat as one's first boat either. Especialy when you can't tie a bowline, or plot your position using a hand bearing compass & a map/chart. Things that I could do at age 10, & which are but one step above common sense.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 13:28   #12

Elitist drivel. Sorry! but please.......

I love this boat and have watched their website for some time.
I drool over several Schonning G1500's and a G1800 that are moored near my boat.
Do I want one - YES. Will I get one - NO.

Why? Because I don't have the finance to have one built. I don't have the time or skill to build my own. I need a boat with four cabins (I have a family - which is why I can't afford the price). The list goes on....

So, I have a boat that worth 35-40% of Roam. I happily sail in comfort at 2/3 of their speed, frequently with 6-8 POB. I've sailed across the Tasman and up and down the east coast. Are there better sailors out there - you bet. Does owning a boat like Roam make one a better sailor - I don't think so. That's due to other things....

Should I spurn what I have and what I can afford, deny myself participation, waiting in hope that one day I can "make the grade" and get the true thoroughbred and become a real sailor? Face it, there is only a small percentage of sailors who will ever get access to boats like this. Perhaps many. like me aspire, but most through various reasons, mostly financial will be forced to make some compromise. In so doing, are they lesser sailors. I might have thought not! Surely the goal is participation, joy and self satisfaction. Gee, some people even like billy cart racing! can you believe it?
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 14:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

It really does make a difference. In that the number & type of quality products available, which are oriented towards true sailors, gets greatly diminished by this slewing of the market's orientation. Both in terms of the types of boats which are readily available, & the gear for them.

So then the market caters to the lowest common denominator like this, & dumbs down a lot of things Such as "navigation" for example. Then you have folks out there sailing, who think that they know what they're doing, but don't possess much in the way of depth of experience. Which can, & does lead to more ugly (dangerous) situations, needlessly.

Imagine a swimmer who's very good in the pool, who based on this thinks that they can swim anywhere they like in the ocean. When in reality, they have no background in judging all of the hazards presented by such. A 1km pool swim, & 1/2nm in the ocean are vastly different animals.

In sailing, it's this kind of mindset which has Epirbs commonly being triggered simply because folks are scared, not because they're truly in danger Unlike the very, very real dangers which transpire once it's triggered.

It's not that I want to keep sailing exclusive, but I can't understand the mindset of buying a 45', $500,000 boat as one's first boat either. Especialy when you can't tie a bowline, or plot your position using a hand bearing compass & a map/chart. Things that I could do at age 10, & which are but one step above common sense.
I see your point, but respectfully disagree. Bringing more people into an interest generally benefits the interest in it's entirety. You might see the prevalence of condomarans as a dumbing down, but I see it as an introduction that people might not otherwise have had. I see it as bringing more interest and thus more investment in catamaran development. Today's condomaran owner might be tomorrows Schionning owner, and they may never have gotten there without the condo intro.

I will take my situation as an example. I am a boat person, my wife is not. I grew up around all kinds of boats, and have longed to voyage by sea for most of my life. My wife on the other hand, while she enjoys the water, does not enjoy being without a certain level of comfort and openness that she has never found on a monohull, regardless of size. She does not like being on the lean, and does not like the feeling of enclosure she gets being down in a mono. It was looking like we were never going to see eye to eye, and the thought of retirement on board was not going to happen. Then we discovered Catamarans and a whole other world opened for the both of us. All of a sudden, my dream became her dream too. She could see herself living for extended periods onboard a cat. The openness of the salons and cockpit won her over. Pictures of Leopards and Lagoons run through her head, while I dream of Chris White's and Schionnings. Somewhere there is a compromise that will make us both happy, and with the increased interest in Catamarans, there will naturally be an increase in the number of offerings we can chose from. I see it as a win win. There will always be a top end for those who want performance, and there are now more options for those inclined to comfort over performance. The gaps in between will fill in, and eventually, we might not even have to compromise! My theory.
Old 04-11-2016, 15:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

So you are saying someone who does not have the same point of view as you is not a true sailor?

That you are a true sailor and only those that meet your standard, regardless of how narrow that might be, are the only real sailors on the water?

Because I was understood that sailing was in a vessel that was primarily powered by the wind. Not a specific requirement for the boat for some elitist to define. But then I grew up 1000 kms from the ocean so what do I know.

Except I know b.s. when I hear it or read it.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 17:24   #15

"That condomaran owner might be tomorrows ROAM owner. Who knows."

Never a truer statement made.

"In the mean time, it really makes no difference."

With this I disagree, it obviously does make a difference, with certain segments of the multi hull fraternity on this forum. They take every opportunity to point out their perceived issues and concerns with Condomarans when compared to their chosen style of vessel.

The first time I came across the word Condomaran was from a manufactures representative, when I notified him that I had chosen to purchase a Lagoon in lieu of his brand.

"Oh I thought you wanted to purchase a catamaran that sailed not a Condomaran"

At the time this upset me no end, although I still purchased the Lagoon. I subsequently purchased another bigger Condomaran Lagoon and have been living and sailing aboard her for over 2 years now.

Now I embrace the term Condmaran, I love the fact that I sail and live on a boat that meets all my needs and others comparing it to there chosen style catamarn see it as big as a block of units. In fact more often than not it is the same LOA or even shorter than there high speed camping platform.

Without a doubt I believe the majority of multi-hulls, sailing and cruising the world today are Condomarans. I wouldn't mind betting that F.P, Lepoard and Lagoon (the devils trio of Condomaran manufactures) have built moor than every other manufacture and designer/ custom builder combined. This is not a good or a bad thing it just is what it is.

When somebody posts about a performance multi-hull, do the Condo owners come out of the wood work with derogatory comments about others choice of boat. NO, I would love to sail a vessel like Roam, I spent 10 years chasing Land speed records on two wheels, so going fast is a passion of mine. However this is home for myself and my partner so safety, space and comfort are more important than out right passage speed. So it's different strokes for different folks like it or not.

We are all out on the water enjoying our chosen vessel pursuing our own dreams, there is no need to put somebody down because they do not meet your criteria of a sailor or a cruiser. I am sorry I could not tie a bowline while I was still in the womb or that I do not pick up my hand bearing compass in my sleep.

The insinuation that just because like the majority of multi-hull owners out there you have chosen a Condomaran makes you an incompetent sailor I totally reject. Owning a faster less load carrying boat does not automatically infer any sailing skills. I have seen as many idiots in go fast designs as in Condomarans. Like life there are some incompetent people every where you care to look.

Recently I had another name tossed at my Condomaran that was "Charter Barge". How many cat owners got there first taste of catamaran sailing in a charter boat, so once again I will embrace the term. The charter industry has helped a lot of people to make the transition to multi-hull owners.

I for one see this as a good thing, the days of sailing being for the rich, old boys from the correct club and school are long gone and I for one am glad.
that while cruising I am connecting with people from all walks of life with all different skill sets.

That is what cruising is all about to me, the sailing and destinations take second place to the fantastic people you meet and interact with.

Quote "In that the number & type of quality products available, which are oriented towards true sailors, gets greatly diminished by this slewing of the market's orientation."

Once again the the inference is Condomarans are diluting the gene pool of "TRUE SAILORS" in your opinion, I will take that as a positive thing because like it or not the one thing progress does over all others is move forward.

I see that as a good thing, given the choice of being out on the water cruising at any time in the past 200 years, I chose today, I can only assume that given your statement that a TRUE SAILOR is looking back to an earlier time when all us unworthy Condomaran owners where not out and about cluttering up your private ocean.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote