Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 03:14   #121

Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Advice on how to graduate, OK;
-Get a dishwasher, you won't have time for that anymore.
-Learn who you can take advice from, they're not always going to be the people you like (point in case - Atoll)
-Sail recklessly - more stuff to fix
-Go, if (you think) you're 100% ready or not

Me steering because the autopilot and windvane broke on the way to Jamaica
Me fixing broken Halliard in Galapagos
Broken PTO in the Bahamas (on my birthday)
Me (mistakenly) letting the crew do ****
The shirt says it all
Me replacing the flag that Atoll put up (which said that I am a dishwasher) in Vanuatu
21 days at sea. This Pineapple was broken. It needed a flying fish attached to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050208.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	47000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0415.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	47001  

Name:	P1030522.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	47002   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040464.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	47003  

Name:	P1030882.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	47004   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030456.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	47005  

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	47006  
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:25   #122
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Tough story and sorry for you troubles. Not to make an example of you but there are often underestimations of what it takes to get a boat going on a budget - and everyone is on a budget - you apparently got misled by some people.

The risk of buying a boat early in the adventure is one does not really know what to look for. There are bad sellers, brokers and surveyors. Having time on OPB (other people's boats) allows one to see what breaks, what is good and what is bad.

Unless one has deep pockets a big part of this hobby is fixing boats (sometimes in exotic locations) -

Part of buying small is that the errors are cheaper to recover from. My 26 foot boat has been a 5 year learning experience in boat maintenance, sailing and boat costs.

I have absolutely no problem with the wannabe monniker.

I am a wannabe retiree/cruiser. At some point I may graduate to gonnabe.

This is a big deal. I work all week and it is so easy on the weekends to get up late and fart around.

My dad would always get up at 6am on Saturday and Sunday. I asked him why he didn't chill. He'd say, "I get up every day for the bastards. I get up on the weekend for me."

It is brutally hot here from around 2pm till 5pm. I have settled into an 8am start and a 2pm knockoff time. Saturday with people coming I am motivated to get going. Sunday I was drinking my morning coffee getting carried away with CF threads and almost delayed going. I finally launched about an hour late and got 5 hours in.

Getting started is key for me.

So we need to collect the definitions.

Wannabe - Doing something but wants to be doing something else. I wannabe retired and I wannabe cruising on a cat. Right now I am a day/coastal/racing sailor with a small boat learning tons everyday.
Poser - Buys the gear looks right. Maybe in our world buys a great new boat, a silly captain hat and mixes margaritas at the dock - never sails
Newbie - First timer. There are many folks that show up here that are not newbies. They sailed or boated in a previous life and are getting back into it. Maybe new to internet or CF but not to boats. A newbie can be a wannabe.

I think we need a couple of new definitions so we can offend more people - LOL

Gonnabe - Advanced far enough in current plans to have a shot at it. Making forward progress. Right now I am a boat repairman (Relax Lah is on the hard) but I am making forward progress - in a few weeks I am gonnabe a sailor.
wontbe - This is the rude one. Most of us who have been here a while can spot the wontbes. I won't go any further with this other than to say they really have their heads in the clouds and really don't take any advice well. I don't spend much time on those threads. Predominantly characterized by a first post with outrageous plans. Absolutely nothing wrong with first posts or low post counts. We all started with one.

Don't know how I am doing on the catamaran cruising plan - maybe still a wannabe. Hope I am not a wontbe.

See - I think you are a gonnabe. Making forward progress...

Great thread Atoll. Just the right amount of controversy to keep the heat on.

Observations so far. It is still about money and time. Time is absolutely the most precious commodity. Every time I sit on the couch now and flip on the tube I ask myself if this is the best use of my time.

OTOH - an Aussie buddy said this weekend something like, "Everyone needs some staring at the fire time." - I forget the exact quote but it sounded very "Aboriginal sitting around the fire talking to the moon" type of statement.

We all need to veg out sometimes. CF is sorta like veggin out for me...
thanks!

your very astute posts allways crack me up

at the end of the day it doen't matter what you do,what does matter is that one does something with a bit of passion to keep the juices flowing
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 03:33   #123
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
Advice on how to graduate, OK;
-Get a dishwasher, you won't have time for that anymore.
-Learn who you can take advice from, they're not always going to be the people you like (point in case - Atoll)
-Sail recklessly - more stuff to fix
-Go, if (you think) you're 100% ready or not

Me steering because the autopilot and windvane broke on the way to Jamaica
Me fixing broken Halliard in Galapagos
Broken PTO in the Bahamas (on my birthday)
Me (mistakenly) letting the crew do ****
The shirt says it all
Me replacing the flag that Atoll put up (which said that I am a dishwasher) in Vanuatu
21 days at sea. This Pineapple was broken. It needed a flying fish attached to it.
great photos tony! thanks for your insights

now you are a fully fledged skipper,you will have noticed it is tough at the top!.......and have to worry when the crew on watch is fast asleep
Old 24-09-2012, 03:40   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i see you have still got the flying fish fetish!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pacific 2010 104.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	47008  
Old 24-09-2012, 03:40   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great photos tony! thanks for your insights

now you are a fully fledged skipper,you will have noticed it is tough at the top!.......and have to worry when the crew on watch is fast asleep
Yes, but I found my vodka intake made me worry less.

Thanks again for teaching me that trick.
Old 24-09-2012, 03:48   #126

Quote:
i see you have still got the flying fish fetish!
I had quite a few squid land on the deck also. I won't post the photos.
Old 24-09-2012, 03:52   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahquabi View Post
Yes, but I found my vodka intake made me worry less.

Thanks again for teaching me that trick.
caught any fish lately with our special technique!

viewers might want to skip the middle bit,or skip the whole thing if bad language offends.......... the clip is of things blokes on on long passages do for entertainment!

Old 24-09-2012, 04:32   #128

Ah, the Lewmar 40 rig. That video always make me laugh. No I haven't had to use that rig since, thankfully.

Wahoo or Spanish Mackerel?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pacific10 001.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	47009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030563.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	47010  

Old 24-09-2012, 06:08   #129

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Great thread Alex, except I haven't had time to read most of it. But any thread that runs to 9 pages in a couple of days has got to have something going for it.
Of course, if Ex-Calif adds a couple of posts you're almost there already!

Wannabees get the idea from CF that they could do this thing.
Aftre a couple of years making pointless, half-witted comments, they ignore the good advice and go out and buy a boat that has tons of bells and whistles, most of which are on the point of useless so need work, is way too big, far from home so they have no choice but to fix the damn thing up and sail it back if they ever want to see their kids again!

They now have little time to spend with all their old buddies on CF because they're working their butts off.
But they're still around because they learned in their wannabe years that there is no better place to get really helpful, willing advice from supportive folk who have a wealth of experience.

So that's where the wannabes end up!

Vic.

PS. Ex-Calif, your posts are treasures...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 06:46   #130
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it took me from 1990 until 2005 to find the boat in which i sailed out of san diego. i am going to be repairing it in exotic locations for ever..lol...is a formosa, after all, so formosa my life i get to effect repairs. as long as she sails we good.
found this boat and got the price from 40k down to 10k as i watched her be abused.
no survey done. i did what there was to call a survey. finding and fixing...keeps on going...is a goood life.
this is a fun thread with goood pix----
ahquabi--is a wahoo.... spanish have spotted sides and less nose...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 06:52   #131
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Hell I'm on my second boat in 4 years and I'm still a wannebee! Does one ever really stop being a wannabee? Isn't that kind of like an end to dreaming?
Old 24-09-2012, 07:05   #132

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

15 years ago, when I went from being a paddler and wannabee sailor, to owning my first cruising boat, my hard storage fee was $50/month. I got liability only insurance including the Bahamas for $200/year and a Bahamas permit was just $20. Now my storage is $230/month, insurance is 180/month and a Bahamas cruising permit costs $300.

If I was a wannabee today looking at those escalating costs, I might very well decide to stick to paddling.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:10   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
So we need to collect the definitions.

Wannabe - Doing something but wants to be doing something else. I wannabe retired and I wannabe cruising on a cat. Right now I am a day/coastal/racing sailor with a small boat learning tons everyday.
Poser - Buys the gear looks right. Maybe in our world buys a great new boat, a silly captain hat and mixes margaritas at the dock - never sails
Newbie - First timer. There are many folks that show up here that are not newbies. They sailed or boated in a previous life and are getting back into it. Maybe new to internet or CF but not to boats. A newbie can be a wannabe.

I think we need a couple of new definitions so we can offend more people - LOL

Gonnabe - Advanced far enough in current plans to have a shot at it. Making forward progress. Right now I am a boat repairman (Relax Lah is on the hard) but I am making forward progress - in a few weeks I am gonnabe a sailor.
wontbe - This is the rude one. Most of us who have been here a while can spot the wontbes. I won't go any further with this other than to say they really have their heads in the clouds and really don't take any advice well. I don't spend much time on those threads. Predominantly characterized by a first post with outrageous plans. Absolutely nothing wrong with first posts or low post counts. We all started with one.

Great thread Atoll. Just the right amount of controversy to keep the heat on.
I figured I might as well get my 6th post in on a thread like this one

So as my user name implies, I'm an an Ex-Calif defined NEWBIE/WANNABE, but not a wontbe and take no offense at either the NEWBIE or WANNABE tags. I originally joined to gather information for something that I had already decided I wanted to do.

I read a lot, dream, and then research to fulfil the dream. Fiscally, I could go now, but choose not to while I prepare and kick the children out of the nest... I'm a 41 year old single parent with about 8 years until I've fulfilled my responsibility properly to both. In the meantime, I've started the lessons on weekends and read just about every book or link that looks interesting in posts. I'd really like to build a boat, but understand that the hours to finish != what my time is worth in the workplace.

In real life, I work a metric ass ton and live on a fraction of my salary. When work begins to overwhelm me, I tell myself "that was a new winch", or "wow, that project sucked, but it's a new [Rocna|set of sails|watermaker|bottom job]" and keep on keeping on.

As far as my contribution to the forums, I'm generally a leech. My experience is about nil, I don't own a boat, won't own one anytime soon (though that doesn't stop me from browsing yachtworld/ebay/cragslist), and reading ain't doing...

I appreciate the posts experienced people make in here, especially Gord, Peggy, the bumfuzzles, and all sides of the origami-steel boat debate.

<sarcasm>

When I do buy a boat, it'll be a cat in the 35-45' range with LiFeP04 batteries, solar and decent wind (though I'll buy a cheap one and a good set of blades). I'll probably go with the Rocna for the anchor - but not a Chinese one (flame on), macerating heads, ssb, satellite phone Internet & tv, and a good WiFi solution, and cost way more money than I should spend for horrible performance while terribly overloaded and we're all gonna die... I'll anchor poorly and be the curse of you in the anchorage as I use my anchor ball and leave my fenders out. I'll likely drag. I'll fart while upwind. And I can't wait...

</sarcasm>

I so badly want to get started, but realistically I have a few years. So for now, I'm StillDreamin...
stilldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:26   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

a few photos of me teaching tony how to be a human!
For exceptionally broad definitions of human...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:32   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreamin View Post
I figured I might as well get my 6th post in on a thread like this one

So as my user name implies, I'm an an Ex-Calif defined NEWBIE/WANNABE, but not a wontbe and take no offense at either the NEWBIE or WANNABE tags. I originally joined to gather information for something that I had already decided I wanted to do.

<snip>

I so badly want to get started, but realistically I have a few years. So for now, I'm StillDreamin...
Definitely a high Gonnabe factor...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote