Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 17:48   #616

Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Few takers and enormous premiums equals a high attrition rate. Be interesting to see some stats; how many yachts under say 60 feet in length crossed the Atlantic in 2015. How many made it but incurred significant damage (dismasted, collisions with floating objects, rudders etc). How many were lost or abandoned.
I would be interested in such figures, anyone?
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 17:53   #617

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

Vary good video, sad to see this family leave there yacht. I wish them the best I hope to be reading about the recovery of there abandoned yacht soon!
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:32   #618

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The responsibility of the cargo ship was to save lives.... not property.

Leaving aside the cost of being 'off hire' for several days while saving property it simply is not possible for a big ship to tow a yacht at the big ship's normal speed of 15+ knots....
Also interested in this. As is the cargo ship hung around for 3 days (I think?) before the crew was transferred to Tilly Mint. If towing was an option, they could have puttered along at 5 knts and made 350 nm in that time.

Now I could see the ships reluctance to do that if 350 nm towards land is away from their destination, but is it worse than going in circles waiting for a smaller boat to show up to complete the rescue? And what if they were able to retrieve the crew themselves - if they were headed to Europe would they just continue on their route, or bring them to the nearest land/CG vessel?

I would think towing a disabled but still floating vessel to within range of the local CG would be a more reliable way to save lives than an open-water transfer.

BUT - I am probably naive to the physical logistics of that sort of tow. First off I'm guessing you would need an incredible length of (not too heavy) line to act as a sufficient shock absorber. And I have no idea how you would get the line between the ship and the boat.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:57   #619

Boat: Moody 425

From one cruising family to another - we still have ours fingers crossed here in oz for a miracle.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:51   #620
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
Also interested in this. As is the cargo ship hung around for 3 days (I think?) before the crew was transferred to Tilly Mint. If towing was an option, they could have puttered along at 5 knts and made 350 nm in that time.

Now I could see the ships reluctance to do that if 350 nm towards land is away from their destination, but is it worse than going in circles waiting for a smaller boat to show up to complete the rescue? And what if they were able to retrieve the crew themselves - if they were headed to Europe would they just continue on their route, or bring them to the nearest land/CG vessel?

I would think towing a disabled but still floating vessel to within range of the local CG would be a more reliable way to save lives than an open-water transfer.

BUT - I am probably naive to the physical logistics of that sort of tow. First off I'm guessing you would need an incredible length of (not too heavy) line to act as a sufficient shock absorber. And I have no idea how you would get the line between the ship and the boat.
A tow by a freighter would limit the freighter's speed too much I think for easy maneuverability - too fast and the towed vessel would be damaged. The transfer of the tow rope is easy - start with a small one and then pull the larger aboard.

Amver is about saving lives, not boats.

Don't know where the freighter was headed but they typically do not alter to another port after a rescue. A good friend was rescued off of Perth Australia and got off the ship when it docked at its next destination in Europe.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:04   #621

Any updates to possible drift locations?

A week old post #573 estimated position on 01/18/2017 @ 19.12N / 64.20W

In looking over WindyTV today there is an enormous Low pressure system off the East Coast that appears to have moderate to strong N - NE winds that would draw DOVE II into the middle of the Atlantic.

I have mixed feelings on this whole issue, If it was myself and crew (no children on board) I would have issued a Pan - Pan message and try and rig something up. (I know the original OP tried something).

But when children are involved, everything changes and your only thought is their safety, at least that's my moral compass speaking, and I can only surmise that after a couple of failures, the father thought of his children's safety and issued a may-day message. He wanted them to be safe, and he was going to stay behind to attempt to save their vessel, but eventually relented to additional failures.

I'm not going to Monday morning QB the situation, and say they should have done this or that, i wasn't on board, i don't know the what equipment was on board to utilized.

To the Captain and crew of the cargo vessel, bravo for staying on station for 3 days

In watching the video, I can only applaud the captain and crew of Tilly Mint for the professionalism and compassion they showed.
Tall_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 03:31   #622
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tall Sailor.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:22   #623

Not second guessing them, we've all thought of things we could have done better. But, I can't help thinking of the economics of carrying a $3000 Monitor SOS Emergency rudder versus having to offer a $10,000 reward to find your rudderless yacht that you had to abandon.
Old 25-01-2017, 05:41   #624
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is an entirely different thing, when your responsible for others lives, especially children, he had other family as well too.
The whole decision process is different, different set of priorities, and that is the way it should be.

I have no idea at all about the oath in the Royal Navy, but bet it has something in it like to protect and defend, and that does alter you, and then of course being a Father is to a great extent about protecting and defending, He really had no other choice than what he did, and he did the correct thing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:01   #625

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARumRunner View Post
Really well-done video account of the events.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 11:50   #626

Boat: Tanzer 22

I've been following this story from the beginning and just now watched the video. What a heartbreaking story. Glad everyone is safe, but it breaks my heart to see the hopes and dreams of this family shattered. Thanks for taking the time to make the video and I would love an update from the family. Where are they now? What's the latest on the recovery effort, if there is one.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 13:30   #627

Boat: Catalina 30

Heart wrenching video. It's an amazing account of the story. Kudos to the crew of the Tilly Mint and all they did to help.
Old 25-01-2017, 13:36   #628

Boat: Leopard 38

Cant find the vid.
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 14:15   #629

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Cant find the vid.

NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote