Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2014, 12:47   #1

Boat: Various
Tolerance

Why does there seem to be so little tolerance today, in the world in general, and on forums such as this?

Recent threads have highlighted that. We have intolerance in pointing out the intolerance of others. Sailors saying non-sailors aren't tolerant of their lifestyle. But then sailors lacking tolerance toward those who choose different lifestyles.

Specifically we have whether one would take an infant on a long navigation. Please don't use this thread to argue that. My issue is that there are those totally intolerant of one who would choose to do so and meanwhile those intolerant of those who say they wouldn't do so. It's no different than the questions of raising children on a boat cruising. This forum might be heavy toward yes on that subject because it's a cruising forum, but intolerance isn't appropriate in either direction. I have an issue with those who say that's a wrong way to raise kids, but no issue if they say they wouldn't choose to do it and voice their reasons. Similarly, I have no issue with those who would raise kids on boats but I have a problem when they're intolerant of others who point out reasons they wouldn't choose to.

Sailboaters and power boaters intolerant of each other. Sometimes it crosses from light hearted joking to serious ugliness. Those who cruise frugally versus those who spend freely.

The majority of the people in the world don't boat, period. I think they're missing out on a lot, but I don't think their preference not to makes them bad people. I have two great friends who will never go out on a boat of any sort.

I've seen what could have been reasonable discussions compromised by people making personal attacks toward those with differing views. Many discussions go way off track so someone can interject a narrow minded agenda.

We all live our lives differently, have different beliefs on all subjects. That's a big part of what humans are. But when we think it makes us better than others, that's a problem. Yes, if we're honest and caring those are good qualities. But choosing lifestyles doesn't make one better than another.

There are things in this world to be intolerant about. Violence, harm to others, ugliness, war, hatred. But one's choice of how to live their life isn't one of those. We lose sight of what's truly important.

Specifically, I'll address my thoughts on one subject and again this isn't to discuss that or any subject other than my belief on tolerance. I personally would never attempt a circumnavigation or extended cruise away from land with an infant. But, I equally believe that it's fine for those who weigh the issues and do decide to. I wouldn't do the things Eric and Charlotte and others do, but I would never attack them for their choices and especially in this time I only had one thought and that was, thank God their child is ok. For that discussion to evolve into a critique of lifestyles just disappoints me. And to critique anyone else's choices even in other times isn't to me what we should be doing. To share our choices is fine. But who are we to say others should or must make the same choices we would. It's just wrong, narrow minded, and intolerant.

I'm a power boater, but I admire and respect sailors. I'm just too lazy to engage in their sport. I spend 2/3 of my time on a boat, but am not a live aboard full time. Still I respect those who do and those who don't. I respect those who live more frugally than I do, am amazed sometimes. But I don't put down those who live like billionaires either. That doesn't make them bad people. Actually a couple of the people I admire most in this world are insanely wealthy but they've also pledged half of their network to charity. I have zero mechanical inclination so I very much respect those who have such. I can't paint but respect artists. On the other hand there are things I'm good at and I expect to be respected myself.

I find it interesting to come to a forum such as this one and listen to those who live life differently than I do. I have friends who do so as well. I honestly find myself hesitant to even share views here because mine might be different from the majority. As cruisers or boaters we don't want outsiders demeaning us so we shouldn't demean them. I'm not a pilot, but I'm not going to tell one that he's crazy to fly around the world in a plane. I hope he's not going to tell me I'm crazy because I only get on a plane when I have to in order to reach a destination. I don't like them.

Maybe I've said too much already and everyone feel free to attack. These were just observations my wife and I both felt we needed to make. Hopefully they're accepted as constructive. If not, then maybe we're spending too much time in the wrong place for us. We're just upset when we see the turns some threads are taking. And rest assured it's not just one. So perhaps we're intolerant. Actually we are, intolerant of intolerance. We'll admit that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote