Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 18:15   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Return from the dark side

I just sold my 47' trawler and am returning to the light. My girl friend just bought a house in a gated community that has a FREE marina. Unfortunatley there is a 26' limit on the size. I am thinking about a MacGregor 26. Any thoughts? I'm on Floridas west coast. BTW I bought the trawler after 6 years on a 34' Sloop.
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 19:27   #2

Re: Return from the dark side

I'd only consider the MacGregor if trailering was important to you. I know it has legions of fans. I'm just not one of them. I wouldn't go offshore in one.

A Cape Dory 25, Bristol 26 or Island Packet 26 would be among the ones I'd look at with a full keel that would probably feel the most like your old sloop.

If you want something a bit more sporty, a 26ft J/80, C&C 26 or even Cal 25. These will sail rings around the McGregor and be much safer at sea.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 19:34   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I'd only consider the MacGregor if trailering was important to you. I know it has legions of fans. I'm just not one of them. I wouldn't go offshore in one.

A Cape Dory 25, Bristol 26 or Island Packet 26 would be among the ones I'd look at with a full keel that would probably feel the most like your old sloop.

If you want something a bit more sporty, a 26ft J/80, C&C 26 or even Cal 25. These will sail rings around the McGregor and be much safer at sea.
This ^^^^^^
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 05:40   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The Macs are still very much on the dark side, more power boat with sails, floating RV.

But snobbishness aside, easy and comfortable, if you don't need the approval of (those who consider themselves real) sailors, do what you like.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 05:58   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Yeah, you might want to pass on the MacGregor and get a real sailboat.

Maybe a Contessa 26, Cape Dory 25 or if you want speed Capri 25, Merit 25 ......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 06:15   #6

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Just what I expected. But the needs are such that I am still considering it. Longest off shore I can think of is Marco Island to Key west, maybe Ft. Jefferson or the Bahamas. As far as it being an RV with sails, that is just what I am looking for. A small sailboat that I can spend a few days on, not a full time live aboard.

After the work I had to do on the trawler just to keep it going I want a turn-key boat. I didn't see one Island Packet, Bristol, or Cape dory that was younger than 35 years old and in need of some major work. I'm done with that. I've got a good kitty so I can be choosy.
Old 21-05-2018, 07:57   #7

Boat: Rawson 30PH

You can still build a Thunderbird inexpensively ... a great, tough little boat.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:23   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

What everybody else said, + with your definition of travel distance, a Catalina will do.

Have fun!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:27   #9

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Just what I expected. But the needs are such that I am still considering it. Longest off shore I can think of is Marco Island to Key west, maybe Ft. Jefferson or the Bahamas. As far as it being an RV with sails, that is just what I am looking for. A small sailboat that I can spend a few days on, not a full time live aboard.

After the work I had to do on the trawler just to keep it going I want a turn-key boat. I didn't see one Island Packet, Bristol, or Cape dory that was younger than 35 years old and in need of some major work. I'm done with that. I've got a good kitty so I can be choosy.
I'm with ya, Don! Just did somewhat you did - bought a house in Homosassa and it looks like the Avanti 3685 is going to have to go (too far away and too many $$ to get her here) . . . I"m heading for the multihull version of what you're looking at . . lots of good stuff out there . . . want some fun for a while . . . ..
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:10   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post

I would not consider Marco Island to Key West in a Mac.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:11   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I like the Macgregor 26 concept, but there must be some huge downside because at least 107% of all 26 foot sailboats for sale seem to be Macgregor 26's.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:12   #12

Boat: 77' hallberg rassy 41

You can get a macgregor 26x on plane and pull a tube. If you are looking for a powerboat with sails, that is it!
bstruebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:23   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The C&C26 was one of C&C's big mistakes. Not recommended.

The C&C25 on the other hand was one of their greatest hits. There are tons of these available in good condition at low prices. Its really a fabulous boat.

Another option would be to buy a C&C27 and just pretend its a C&C26, since just about no one would know the difference. Unlike a BeneHuntelina, the make and model does not appear on the hull in foot high graphics.

I'm personally fond of the old Paceship 26...and these usually sell quite cheap.

If you want to do some serious ocean passages, you can't go wrong with a Contessa 26.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 09:34   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I like the Macgregor 26 concept, but there must be some huge downside because at least 107% of all 26 foot sailboats for sale seem to be Macgregor 26's.
You think the only motivation to sell a boat is there's something wrong with it?

And don't take into account the volume sold?

Like saying Toyota can't be making decent cars because you see so many for sale.

Far more Macs were manufactured than the total output of hundreds of more respected makers and designers.

And again, not saying I like them myself. . .
Old 21-05-2018, 09:36   #15
cruiser

OP, have a look through this for some ideas

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html