Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 05:18   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Re: Precision Sails: Be Careful!

I purchased a sail from Precision Sails last year and they were awesome. I just purchased a second one in October and it just arrived. They have always been responsive and delivered what they said and I even thought the pricing was reasonable. I'll research some more as I am looking to order another sail from them for another boat; companies can hit some downturns, but I don't want to get stuck paying out and get nothing if they are in real trouble. Thanks for the heads up. I'll post if I find out anything.
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 05:20   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

I'm neither a lawyer nor litigiously-minded -- and all my sails are from North --but I'd be very leery of spreading "information" of this kind.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 06:22   #18

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

I went out to SailAnarchy and only saw one reference to Precision "not paying their bills" in the thread that discussed lack of communication, but it was very general and ambiguous with no backup. I tried to post asking where they got that information, but was having trouble setting up an account.
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 08:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

They still seem to be very currently active on their Facebook page. They open in 30 minutes I will try to give them a call and see if they pick up. If they do I will let them know about this thread and maybe they can shed some light on it themselves. I have not ordered from them "yet" but they are on my short list for my next sails. I have always viewed them as a reputable company and have heard nothing but good about their Customer service. They only "negative" I have heard is from one friend who ordered from a different small company in Florida for less money
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 11:10   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349

My spinnaker comes on Monday that I can speak to the quality then. I don’t really have a problem ordering an asymmetric in a sock for my boat from a mail order place but I’d probably not order a main, Genoa, or code from them and would go local. For me, it will be my least used sail and it is less important on sizing than the others.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 11:17   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Use one of the old established Hong Kong sail makers like Far east, Aw Lam or Cheong Lee and you can't go wrong, i personally use Far East for myself and customer's for years. Happy Holidays.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 13:04   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello everybody!

After receiving a few phone calls regarding both the message threads on Sailing Anarchy and Cruisers Forum I wanted to reach out to everyone.

Please check out the video I made for you all. If you would like to schedule a time next week to speak with me specifically then please let us know by emailing info@precisionsailloft.com and asking for Darryl.

Safe Sailing,
Darryl Hodgson

Primary Contact Info:
info@precisionsailloft.com

Video Link: https://youtu.be/ZoCNUPBPQU8
PrecisionSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:50   #23

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Clamcake, sounds like you have a personal axe to grind with the company. It might help if you just told us what your beef with the company is as the preponderance of the evidence does not appear to lead credence to the potentially damaging gossip you are spreading.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 20:27   #24

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

I don't know about their current status or viability as a company. But I got good sails at a good price (Main and jib for a 50' boat) from them last year. I worked with one of their designers, who was clearly Canadian (accent), we had a lot of back and forth, then once we finalized the design, they sent it off to their factory in China. They were upfront with this info, and didn't claim to be making it in house. Sails came, very happy with quality, but luff tape was wrong size. They paid for a local sailmaker to replace with proper luff tape. Overall, good experience, would use them again. YMMV.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 00:07   #25

Boat: Tartan 37
Precision Sails: Be Careful!

For what it’s worth, I purchased a main, jib , asym and sock from them in 2020 for our A30. Happy with the sails and ordering process.

Will probably reach out again for a main on our new to us Tartan 37.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 05:28   #26

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...cation-issues/

It gets better.
clamcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 07:03   #27

Boat: Morgan 382

I just took a look at the SA thread. What a non-event. One person didn't get a quick return on an email. Then there are a bunch of people who never bought a sail from them because they didn't understand or like the quote and buying process. Some wild speculation about bills with no source or evidence of a problem that borders slander.

I know lots on people happy with Precision, and nothing in that thread or this amounts to more than a few people that never bought from them making speculations. There aren't any actual customers that were unhappy. No one claiming they didn't receive a sail, or that they received the wrong sail. No dissatisfied customers at all.

I bought from them last year. It was a pretty typical experience. I had more discussion about cloth and design with a designer than i did with my local loft with my last sail. Of course, im smarter now and asked better questions and better know my needs. The only downside is that i needed to measure myself, but had a long discussion with the designer afterwards about it One call was nearly an hour long.

Anyway, seems to just be mudslinging with no substance. So much so i question the motives of the post.
Old 18-12-2021, 17:18   #28

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamcake View Post

Seriously? Aside from one or two people not getting instant responses to questions, the gist of that thread is "Buy Local"

"It gets better" you said. Care to share the apparently secret parts where it "gets better?"
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 18:25   #29

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I watch a ton of you tube sailing videos and Precision seems to put themselves out there and hook up a bunch of you tube sailors. Doesn't seem like they are in trouble to me. Out of complete transparency I just ordered a new Main from Mack in Fla.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 20:47   #30

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

I have two Precision sails on my 39' boat - a stays'l and a main. The stays'l experience was just fine and gave me the confidence (which proved unfounded) to order a main. The mains'l purchase experience wasn't totally horrible but certainly bad enough to cause me never to consider buying a sail from them again. And, for what its worth, to regard their company name with considerable irony. Fortunately there are professional sailmakers in my area easily capable to correct their mistakes but that does bring the final cost of one of their sails up to what it would have been simply to have a real sailmaker build it to begin with. That being said this was about six years ago, long enough to probably be irrelevant.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails