Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 08:52   #1

Precision Sails

May or may not be trouble brewing with this company.

There is a current thread over at Sailing Anarchy that should be viewed before ordering with this outfit.

They are not returning phone calls or emails. Additionally, there is a post that states they have been dropped by two sail factories in China due to late and non-payment for orders.

Hope this is not a repeat of the Great Circle Sails debacle.
clamcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 09:16   #2

Precision Sails: Be Careful!

There is a current thread over at Sailing Anarchy that should be viewed before ordering with this outfit.

They are not returning phone calls or emails. Additionally, there is a post that states they have been dropped by two sail factories in China due to late and non-payment for orders.

Old 16-12-2021, 09:25   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: Precision Sails: Be Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamcake View Post

They were replying to me. Granted, I ordered my sail a month or so ago and it’s shipping to me now. Could also be the holiday timing why they aren’t responding.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 09:28   #4

I hope so. I am not aware of any loft that is busy during the month of December. Usually dead as a doornail.
Old 16-12-2021, 10:18   #5

Boat: Hunter 34

They run a huge black friday special every year, I would garner they may be very busy because of that, though missed payments if true doesn't not look good for anyone. I would actually guess that many lofts are busy in December, for those wanting new sails before a season starts, etc...
Artey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 10:20   #6

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

@moderators

This thread seems to be a duplicate - can you please merge with the other one here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ul-258967.html
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 10:25   #7

I used to work in the sales office at a larger sailmaker.

There is nothing going on in December. This is when everyone takes vacation.

Usually, orders for the new season begin in late January and ramp-up to full production in March. Stays busy through July then it tapers off.

I have no dog in this hunt. But when I hear suppliers are ditching a company in this industry, it usually is the beginning of the end.

Hate to see any company go under. But would also hate to see people lose their money.
Old 16-12-2021, 10:44   #8

I'm not saying it's true and I'm not saying it's not true.

What I am saying is, the OP doesn't know. They've had no dealings with the company. What they've supposedly heard is, as so far, rumor that THEY heard from someone else.

Find out for yourself, or keep it to yourself. But propagating rumors unsolicited via internet publication in online forums is borderline Libelous.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 10:57   #9

Re-read my post. This time for comprehension.

This information is posted there and I am simply passing it along.

As for the rest of your post....whatever.
Old 16-12-2021, 10:57   #10

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'm not saying it's true and I'm not saying it's not true.

What I am saying is, the OP doesn't know. They've had no dealings with the company. What they've supposedly heard is, as so far, rumor that THEY heard from someone else.

Find out for yourself, or keep it to yourself. But propagating rumors unsolicited via internet publication in online forums is borderline Libelous.

Totally agree!
BlueH2Obound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 10:59   #11

And how many people recently got screwed by Great Circle Sails out of Marblehead?

No one would have figured itout how big the scam was until one person posted their problems on the internet.
Old 16-12-2021, 11:48   #12

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

clamcake, do you have any proof of the allegations you are making re/ "Precision Sails"? Just curious. I can't find any articles on the internet that appear to substantiate your claims . . . . . .
BlueH2Obound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 11:59   #13

Boat: Storfidra 25

I've contacted Precision Sails trying to get a quote three times. I got one email back but nothing after that. I've moved on.
Randy Bogardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 12:11   #14

Are you kidding me?

The Great Circle scam has been all over the internet including a youtube video from one of the customers that got stiffed. Even the Editor of Sailing Anarchy wrote about it.

As far as Precision Sails, I simply referred folks to the current thread on the company.

I am making no "claims" as you state. That is something you can ask over there.

Let's face it, Precision Sails does not exactly have a stellar history of being honest about its business.

They are simply a marketing company that takes orders and sends them off to an Asian loft to be built.

Nothing wrong with that but don't claim you build most of your sails in-house when you make nothing.

This is the same company that got raked over the coals for claiming they had a wind tunnel to test sail designs and were caught red-handed for taking existing pictures of yachts and photoshopping their tack logo on them. There is also a local business article floating around that was published last month you can find. An interesting read considering the owner told his bankers that they build most of their sails in Canada.

Personally, my dealings with them made me run straight to my local North loft. They lowball their prices then add everything under the sun as "options" and the salesperson I spoke with was worse than a used car dealer.

When he started bad-mouthing North and other sailmakers, that was it for me.

How many sail lofts and marine retailers went out of business over the past two years?
Old 17-12-2021, 03:43   #15

Wow. I had no idea.

https://www.precisionsailloft.com/sails/macgregor/

Tags
sail, sails