Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2021, 22:15   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Precision Sails: Be Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarerigger View Post
I have two Precision sails on my 39' boat - a stays'l and a main. The stays'l experience was just fine and gave me the confidence (which proved unfounded) to order a main. The mains'l purchase experience wasn't totally horrible but certainly bad enough to cause me never to consider buying a sail from them again. And, for what its worth, to regard their company name with considerable irony. Fortunately there are professional sailmakers in my area easily capable to correct their mistakes but that does bring the final cost of one of their sails up to what it would have been simply to have a real sailmaker build it to begin with. That being said this was about six years ago, long enough to probably be irrelevant.
What was wrong with the mainsail?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 03:42   #32

I have no axe to grind whatsoever.

My only issue with this company is they have been caught over and over again being dishonest in how they represent themselves and their products to the public.

It has been continual from the day they opened until today.

It is really pretty simple. Do not say or even infer you are building what you are selling.

It is dishonest and that is a game stopper for me right out of the gate.

Some folks can block this inconvenient truth and order anyway. Not me.
clamcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 09:51   #33

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I bought a headsail and a main for my Pearson 30 from them. The headsail is perfect, the main had 4 slides that were the wrong size. They contacted a local loft ( UK Sails in Alameda ) and had it corrected in one day. So no problem there.

The ordering process was easy and my frequent calls were always answered right away. If the person I needed to talk to was not available they got back to me the same day and most times within 30 min.

As far as quality goes we have only had the sails on the boat a few months and all is well. We tend to reef late and work the boat hard at times so next year I can update how the sails held up. Some days we are the only sailboat out on San Francisco bay, we are not fair weather boaters.

At this point I would buy from them again.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 13:34   #34

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamcake View Post

My only issue with this company is they have been caught over and over again being dishonest in how they represent themselves and their products to the public.

It is really pretty simple. Do not say or even infer you are building what you are selling.

If I read you right, you've got your knickers in a knot because they get their sails built offshore.

Well, so does North. (Sri Lanka)
Old 20-12-2021, 18:46   #35

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:

My only issue with this company is they have been caught over and over again being dishonest in how they represent themselves and their products to the public. You still haven't pointed out where they were being dishonest.

It is really pretty simple. Do not say or even infer you are building what you are selling. Interesting that you would make this claim. I contacted Precision Sails yesterday, asking them specifically where the sails were built. My query, and the response I received is shown below in its entirety.

My e-mail to Precision Sales:

To: Info <info@precisionsailloft.com>Sun 12/19/2021 9:54 PM
I see that your sails are designed and sold of our British Columbia, CA. Could you please tell me where they are actually made/constructed? Thanks. Scot

Their response to my e-mail (my highlights):
Info <info@precisionsailloft.com>

Mon 12/20/2021 10:28 AM

Good Morning Scot,

You are correct our head office is in Sidney BC. This office has our Sale & Marketing, Accounting, Logistics and Design Teams. All our sails are designed in consultation with the sailor with one of our design staff.

Our manufacturing facility that we own is in Shenzhen China. This facility has the capacity to produce approximately 50% of our sail orders. We also contract several other lofts to produce the balance of our sails. These lofts are in the Philippines, Thailand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and China.

We choose Shenzhen for the location our Production Loft because most everything that goes into the building of a sail is produced in the region. Cloth, Hardware, Thread, Press Rings, Headboard etc are all made in South East Asia. It it more efficient to ship a completed sail than the components to make it.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Ron McInnis "End of e-mail"

Clambake,

I'm not sure where you are getting all the stuff you are attributing to Precision Sail Loft, but nothing I've seen here, nor the way the company responded to my query supports the rumors you are spreading.

Once again, I ask you, what exactly is your beef with the company that has you so actively trying to turn customers away from them, and tarnish their name?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 20:56   #36

Boat: Beneteau

A post like this can lead to the very issues it is supposedly trying to solve. Enough people read this and suddenly it all tanks and everyone loses.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 21:33   #37

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
A post like this can lead to the very issues it is supposedly trying to solve. Enough people read this and suddenly it all tanks and everyone loses.
+1. Reminds me of the "knowledgeable" numbers that disseminate so much covid misinformation.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 22:09   #38

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

, this from the The "WINNS ?, not sure of the spelling , blog ordered sails from Prision, payed up front, no sails, this from the S.African loft, finally contacted the principal in ITALY, and was assured they would get the sails, which they did, soooo my question is who really owns P.S.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 22:49   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
, this from the The "WINNS ?, not sure of the spelling , blog ordered sails from Prision, payed up front, no sails, this from the S.African loft, finally contacted the principal in ITALY, and was assured they would get the sails, which they did, soooo my question is who really owns P.S.
The Winns did not order their sails from Precision Sails in Canada.

They ordered from Onesails in South Africa.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 23:59   #40

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The Winns did not order their sails from Precision Sails in Canada.

They ordered from Onesails in South Africa.
Thanks for that, I was going to pitch in but thought better of it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 02:21   #41

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

When you order sails from a distant loft you are naturally expected to take the measurements yourself, which is just what I did for the staysail and it turned out fine. In the case of the mains'l, in retrospect I erred in ordering it too close to a departure date for a trip from San Diego to Hawaii, though the loft assured me that they could get it to me easily within my deadline. Even better it seemed, because folks from their loft were going to be in San Diego where they had several customers all ordering new sails, they offered to take the measurements themselves for all of these boats while they were in the area, mine included. Sounded great. Indeed the mainsail did arrive three weeks before I was due to depart, however the sail was fully THREE feet too long in the luff and about 9" too long in the foot (quite the "precision" that was). I sent it back, asked for a refund, which they refused to offer and instead said they would get me a properly cut sail by my departure date, now using my measurements of course. The sail did arrive, cost me a week's delay, and was still two inches longer in the luff than I had specified. Worse, the shape was perfectly horrible, resembling as delivered what you would expect with a blown out sail years beyond its retirement date. I ended up using the old sail which had a far better shape though 12 years old, than the new sail from Precision. When I got back home several months later my old main really was at the end of its life, so I bent on the Precision main again and enjoyed the experience of seeing it stretch even worse with light use until I took it to the local Ullman loft. Ullman did an excellent job in recutting the sail so that my boat could actually go to windward with that main better than the replica 16th century galleon I also sail frequently. That was two years ago and so far it hasn't blown out of shape so I'm happy thus far. The total cost ended up being about the same as if I had Ullman build the sail to begin with and I'm pretty sure they would have done a much better job on other details of construction, such as actually triple stitching seams instead of just charging for that feature and not doing it. I've bought other sails on line over the years and been satisfied, but I've decided that from now on with yacht sails its just a more certain process and more value to deal directly with a local loft that resides in the community it services.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 06:11   #42

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

What are you referring to here? What dishonesty?

They design in B.C. and build offshore no different than most of the large sail lofts. The sails I ordered from them came quickly, were the correct size, fit well and set beautifully!! I spent along time on the phone with Darryl discussing my sails, the design and the options I wanted. all straight forward and smooth. Everything was above board!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 10:42   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I’m surprised this thread is still open at this point.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 10:45   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

I for one am pleased. I've never heard of this outfit before. After reading all the comments, and looking into them, I'd definitely give them a try if I ever buy new sails again.
Old 21-12-2021, 10:55   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’m surprised this thread is still open at this point.
To provide a balance debate.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails