Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Living the Dream

There is definitely a difference between the retirement/vacation type communities. I've bounced between the two (living in Mexico and Hawaii for long periods vs mainland rat race) and I feel "out of place" whenever I come back.

But your right, if you can't adjust it's an internal weakness.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:27   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Cruisers Dream is like the fantasy of Normal Childhood.. something that enjoyed a brief existence that is no more..
What exists in reality is a bunch of tired old fat men desperately chasing a fantasy.. no longer can one sail a world where the skipper/owners ticket is sufficient to travel anywhere.. today is just a succession of layered officialdom that presses more and more everyday.. everywhere you go.
And that's definitely not the dream as it existed in the 50's, 60's or even the 70's.. but you keep on deluding yourselves.
I think I'll kill myself now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The only difference between people doing stuff and people not doing stuff is the doing.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
People just like to complain. So a bitching sailor is a happy sailor in search of a cause.
It is at least true on this forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm still in the being a wage slave / go to the boat and get away from it, usually means of course work on the boat. This weekend it's take the dinghy back, install and plumb in it's fuel filter system, install heading sensor in big boat, complete NMEA 2000 installation, replace head hoses and Joker valve in fwd head, install remote GPS antenna for Vesper 9000, install remote alarms for vesper and Zeus plotter. Then if I finish in time, there is an Honest to God Spanish Galeon that will be at my Marina this weekend, I want to tour it.
Panama City Marina

But when we go full time, I can see getting bored with paradise and needing something to keep me busy.
In all honestly one reason I'm retiring on a boat, and a not so simple boat systems wise as I will always have maintenance to keep me busy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But when we go full time, I can see getting bored with paradise and needing something to keep me busy.
In all honestly one reason I'm retiring on a boat, and a not so simple boat systems wise as I will always have maintenance to keep me busy
I'm with you, except for thinking that my boat is always going to need fixing because that's depressing.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:12   #35

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

If you rely on your job/career, or land location to define who you are and whether or not you are happy, then don't go cruising. You will be disappointed.
Old 11-03-2016, 14:13   #36

Boat: Catalina 470

Living the dream.......it's what you make of it! I've been overwhelmingly happy in dirty 3rd world places as well as angry and miserable in paradise.
If you do dream the cruising life style and do have the means ,then I highly recommend giving it a try.

A small boy heard the ocean roar,
There are secrets on my distant shore,
But beware my child, the ships bell’s wail,
Wait not to long to start to sail.

So quickly come and go the years,
And a young adult stands abeach with fears,
Come on, Come on the ocean cussed,
Time passes on. Oh sail you must.

Now its business in mid-aged prime,
And maybe tomorrow there will be time,
Now is too soon, its raining today,
Gone all gone-years are eaten away.

An old man looks, still feeling the lure,
Yet he’ll suffer the pain, than go for the cure,
The hair is white, the steps with care,
The tide has turned, he is aware.

So all too soon the secrets are buried,
Along with him and all regrets he carried,
And it’s not for the loss of secrets he cried,
But rather because he’d never tried.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:42   #37

Interesting topic. Looking at another angle. .if your married can you survive in a small space 24/7 with your partner ?? Many of you are working and only see your better half for a few hours a day at best. Sailing offshore and cruising has a way of exaggerating any problems you currently have. In my experience a great marriage will get better and a lesser one will come apart, something to give some serious thought too before leaving for the islands.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:47   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Interesting topic. Looking at another angle. .if your married can you survive in a small space 24/7 with your partner ?? Many of you are working and only see your better half for a few hours a day at best. Sailing offshore and cruising has a way of exaggerating any problems you currently have. In my experience a great marriage will get better and a lesser one will come apart, something to give some serious thought too before leaving for the islands.
No truer words than the above. Sometimes caring about someone isn't enough, the reality is, this life is not for everyone, most.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:52   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Living the dream.......it's what you make of it! I've been overwhelmingly happy in dirty 3rd world places as well as angry and miserable in paradise.
If you do dream the cruising life style and do have the means ,then I highly recommend giving it a try.

A small boy heard the ocean roar,
There are secrets on my distant shore,
But beware my child, the ships bell’s wail,
Wait not to long to start to sail.

So quickly come and go the years,
And a young adult stands abeach with fears,
Come on, Come on the ocean cussed,
Time passes on. Oh sail you must.

Now its business in mid-aged prime,
And maybe tomorrow there will be time,
Now is too soon, its raining today,
Gone all gone-years are eaten away.

An old man looks, still feeling the lure,
Yet he’ll suffer the pain, than go for the cure,
The hair is white, the steps with care,
The tide has turned, he is aware.

So all too soon the secrets are buried,
Along with him and all regrets he carried,
And it’s not for the loss of secrets he cried,
But rather because he’d never tried.

OMG...We've resorted to poetry. Is there no bottom?

Quote:
Lets put it this way...You lock your Ol' Lady and your dog in the truck of your car for...say...2 hours. Open the trunk...guess which one is glad to see you. If in doubt, cruise with your dog.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:55   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

I started this thread because of the idea of some guy arguing online while anchored in a place he had always dreamed of being for most of his working life

I'm quite sure his dream didn't include arguing with some guy sitting in his house on a computer or phone back on the mainland about how to replace a bilge pump, rewire running lights, or which sail is the best in a given circumstance.

The other part was about the adjustment from a working life to nonworking. I'm thinking take it slow with short cruises first

I was very lucky to be transferred to the gulf coast back in the day in my 30's and witnessing cruisers that had little cruising experience even though they were in the mid 60's which is how it works for many

Folks motoring the ICW then spending weeks at places like Pirate's Cove Marina. I don't think I can do that but maybe if you haven't seen anyone for a few weeks it would be fun. (as in long distance offshore cruising, not ICW)

I always got interested though when the lone old guy came through the pass (he hadn't been motoring the ICW) on his totally beatup old full keel boat. His hair was wild as was his beard but his sailing seemed different than the richer cruisers and their nice boats. (we're talkin' 1996)

He seemed more like another part of the boat rather than a passenger. He rarely got a slip at a marina but anchored out and came over. I'd sail passed but would usually come back for another look. (my boat, a Nacra 6.0 at the time, was fast so I could do that. Did you know I used to race beachcats?!)

Thanks for the responses. I hope there are more because each one makes you consider another thing you may not have thought of
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 15:46   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
My wife and I thought about this carefully when we retired 14 years ago. While working we were spending five hours together each weekday and often twice that time on weekends. While cruising as retirees we are together almost all the time, yet we can be just a few feet apart and involved in far separate activities.

We've not really experienced a difference in our relationship with full time cruising. We also spend time at the docks and with our family who live on other boats. It was good that we anticipated this dynamic.

I'm a fortunate man to have found a young lady 47 years ago that suits my life so well!
Old 11-03-2016, 16:37   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
My wife and I thought about this carefully when we retired 14 years ago. While working we were spending five hours together each weekday and often twice that time on weekends. While cruising as retirees we are together almost all the time, yet we can be just a few feet apart and involved in far separate activities.

We've not really experienced a difference in our relationship with full time cruising. We also spend time at the docks and with our family who live on other boats. It was good that we anticipated this dynamic.

I'm a fortunate man to have found a young lady 47 years ago that suits my life so well!
You are indeed a lucky man and I suspect a well balanced one as well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote