Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 08:53   #46
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Or it could be a lot worse.

Depending on the bar, the mood, who's there, and the subject!

She's probably talkin' Annapolis Sailor Bars not Cherry Point, New River, Lejeune, Pendleton, etc
Maybe.....but I wonder how many of the posters here would REALLY walk into a sailors bar (anywhere) and say to someone's face, "oh, so you're the poor idiot sailing that outdated , can't get out of it's own way, piece of crap over there. I'll bet you even have a composting toilet, and no refrigeration. What's a matter, didn't you bother to save enough money to buy a REAL BOAT? So, do you even know how to sail it or do you just hang around in the boatyard fixin' stuff and then posting pictures on FB of it?"

Or at least, I wonder how many would walk into that same bar twice.....
__________________

__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 08:54   #47
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ok.

Man that chick in the corner is really hot. I wonder if she prefers mono, cat or tri? What size anchor do you think she likes?

Are we still sure we want to pretend this is a bar full of sailors?
What's important is that after a $100K refit job that chick in the corner will be as good as new.
__________________

__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:00   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 82
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

I have sailed most of my life, and enjoyed it, but have come across many loners and rude boaters, whom I think we're very unhappy people, best avoided.

Now that I am a retired armchair sailer, I find it amusing and believe the forum reflects my own personal experience.

If you can ignore the ah's there is a lot of interesting and useful info.
__________________
Classicsailboat is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:03   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: WY / Currently in Hayes VA on the Chesapeake
Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Posts: 922
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Maybe.....but I wonder how many of the posters here would REALLY walk into a sailors bar (anywhere) and say to someone's face, "oh, so you're the poor idiot sailing that outdated , can't get out of it's own way, piece of crap over there. I'll bet you even have a composting toilet, and no refrigeration. What's a matter, didn't you bother to save enough money to buy a REAL BOAT? So, do you even know how to sail it or do you just hang around in the boatyard fixin' stuff and then posting pictures on FB of it?"

Or at least, I wonder how many would walk into that same bar twice.....
I had an uncle that was a career Navy Officer. He had a "friend" that thought the best way to have fun in a bar full of Marines was to use my uncles name and say he could whip anyone in the place. In the melee that followed he would slip out. My uncle was a pretty tough guy by the time he retired......
__________________
darylat8750 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:08   #50
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Maybe.....but I wonder how many of the posters here would REALLY walk into a sailors bar (anywhere) and say to someone's face, "oh, so you're the poor idiot sailing that outdated , can't get out of it's own way, piece of crap over there. I'll bet you even have a composting toilet, and no refrigeration. What's a matter, didn't you bother to save enough money to buy a REAL BOAT? So, do you even know how to sail it or do you just hang around in the boatyard fixin' stuff and then posting pictures on FB of it?"

Or at least, I wonder how many would walk into that same bar twice.....

Looking forward to my 1st real beers with Keno, Sailor and Southern....

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:13   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 7
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

I think the comments depend on the topic. Compare bottom coats and you'll see informative discussion usually. I can't believe by 4 pages of coments so far and nobody has mentioned how heated people get when the topic of weapons on board are brought up.
__________________
Derek010 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:15   #52
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I had an uncle that was a career Navy Officer. He had a "friend" that thought the best way to have fun in a bar full of Marines was to use my uncles name and say he could whip anyone in the place. In the melee that followed he would slip out. My uncle was a pretty tough guy by the time he retired......
They have a forum for people like that: Sailing Anarchy.

As for this one there's no doubt many here don't get intimidated by the ratbags, but there's many that do. And if we want this place conducive for females and males who are not retired Marines then we must ensure NO person is intimidated
__________________
MarkJ is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:15   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hailey, ID
Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20
Posts: 348
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

I agree with the below, dealing / avoiding / ignoring the petty stuff is the price of doing business while going to the University of the Internet.

As a new larger boat owner I've learned tons here, even when parsing through the flame wars (I started the devolving thread on crimping vs soldering and while it's turned into a bit of a sh*t show I learned a lot and have changed my way of doing things accordingly).

I'd prefer a bit of snark and all the information to no snark and some information lost, but that's just me, I'm goal oriented (my goal being, you know, don't sink or catch on fire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As far as just getting information from cruisers on cruising, you would miss lots of good info from sailboat racers as well as technical information on electrical, structural etc from onshore experts.

For example, I learn tons while reading the arguments on the inverter thread and I was an electronics tech. (cheap inverters offshore misused could lead to disaster)
__________________
basssears is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:16   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anacortes
Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Posts: 1,735
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Perhaps we need an official "Bar" forum for those who like to make bar comments on serious threads? One of my pet peeves is seeing a really good thread started with a serious question/issue/point/comment by an OP and then see all the meaningless bar/troll/jerk/stir-the-pot posts. I just skip by them when I read the thread but it bothers me for two reasons: it takes much longer to page through the longer threads that actually have interesting and enlightening posts about the OP's issue, and, it seems to turn off some wannabe posters who could add a lot of value to the particular thread but get put off by the off-topic, questionable, and/or insulting comments by some of the Usual Suspects.

I'm fairly new here and at first I got upset reading some of the crap you see, and not just on monos vs cats, anchors, whatever. I skip those threads entirely now and it helps keep my mind more peaceful. I also don't get as upset about really ignorant (IMHO) comments by those who have exotic ideas about common issues. I certainly don't mind weird comments/questions by newbies or genuine posts that attempt to clarify or help on a thread. I suffer from that malady, usually by trying to help with something that I am more ignorant about. My new mantra is to only post on those things I am less ignorant about.

I find CF to be very helpful. Excellent experiences shared here. Thoughtful analysis of common and rare issues. Really kind and caring posters. It all makes it worth a lot for me to check it out daily. Ignoring the trolls has become easier. You can usually tell who just wants to start a fight and step back and enjoy the stuff flying across the internet for their small amusement at the expense of others. So far I haven't banned anyone, although I have considered it a couple of times.

The one thing I still have trouble ignoring is when someone posts something that I consider seriously dangerous. But I only post about it once now, and maybe once more for emphasis if there are egregiously stupid and dangerous opinions given, and then let the readers make up their own minds even if it results in their electrocution, a fire, or loss of their boat. Oh well, stuff happens.

Everyone who has a boat has to decide if they know enough to do XYZ on their boat without professional help or not, or what kind of boat suits them. And to know whether a professional knows anything about what they are hired to do, or not. It's the same here. I do wish there was a Bar forum though, but the ones who should use it won't.

BTW I'm on SF too. I don't find it any better, or worse, then CF, but I do find it is easier to read CF as far as mechanics and finding stuff I want to read. Just my opinion of course.
__________________
exMaggieDrum is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:23   #55
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Perhaps we need an official "Bar" forum for those who like to make bar comments on serious threads? One of my pet peeves is seeing a really good thread started with a serious question/issue/point/comment by an OP and then see all the meaningless bar/troll/jerk/stir-the-pot posts. I just skip by them when I read the thread but it bothers me for two reasons: it takes much longer to page through the longer threads that actually have interesting and enlightening posts about the OP's issue, and, it seems to turn off some wannabe posters who could add a lot of value to the particular thread but get put off by the off-topic, questionable, and/or insulting comments by some of the Usual Suspects.

I'm fairly new here and at first I got upset reading some of the crap you see, and not just on monos vs cats, anchors, whatever. I skip those threads entirely now and it helps keep my mind more peaceful. I also don't get as upset about really ignorant (IMHO) comments by those who have exotic ideas about common issues. I certainly don't mind weird comments/questions by newbies or genuine posts that attempt to clarify or help on a thread. I suffer from that malady, usually by trying to help with something that I am more ignorant about. My new mantra is to only post on those things I am less ignorant about.

I find CF to be very helpful. Excellent experiences shared here. Thoughtful analysis of common and rare issues. Really kind and caring posters. It all makes it worth a lot for me to check it out daily. Ignoring the trolls has become easier. You can usually tell who just wants to start a fight and step back and enjoy the stuff flying across the internet for their small amusement at the expense of others. So far I haven't banned anyone, although I have considered it a couple of times.

The one thing I still have trouble ignoring is when someone posts something that I consider seriously dangerous. But I only post about it once now, and maybe once more for emphasis if there are egregiously stupid and dangerous opinions given, and then let the readers make up their own minds even if it results in their electrocution, a fire, or loss of their boat. Oh well, stuff happens.

Everyone who has a boat has to decide if they know enough to do XYZ on their boat without professional help or not, or what kind of boat suits them. And to know whether a professional knows anything about what they are hired to do, or not. It's the same here. I do wish there was a Bar forum though, but the ones who should use it won't.

BTW I'm on SF too. I don't find it any better, or worse, then CF, but I do find it is easier to read CF as far as mechanics and finding stuff I want to read. Just my opinion of course.
Maggie 'Ex'...
The 'Active New Posts' is the 'Bar'... the Lounge is to the Left..
May pass a comment on the way to the loo's but that's it... beers getting warm in the bar..lolol


If I bother anyone feel free to hit 'Ignore'...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:30   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Antioch CA
Boat: Cal 39
Posts: 189
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
kvetch. Ann
__________________
secrabtree is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:46   #57
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,941
Images: 1
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

I've hung around here a few years now and since I apparently don't have anything better to do - they made me a mod (you know - you the mail that says "hi - glad you just volunteered)

I've learned tons of things by reading threads here - even about things I thought I knew a helluva lot about (hubris is a terrible trait). I guess we all have different thresholds of what we consider relevant and irrelevant and trash and just plain trolling.

One thing we should be cognizant of is than many of the threads are repeats. The subject has been debated many times before. This, I believe, sometimes generates some, shall we say, less that laudable comments.

The analogy about a bar is a fine one. But bars also change over time as new clientel become regulars. In general I find the atmosphere in this bar to be to my liking. You can come in and just listen, nod at those around the tables, nurse your beer and leave when you're done
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:48   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Looking forward to my 1st real beers with Keno, Sailor and Southern....

Don't forget about Pammymac, she's become a big fan of English pub beer.
__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:52   #59
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 783
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

What I have found is the old timers that just won't accept change as a good thing and a thing to be embraced. They are so stuck on the old way that they don't see the forest for the trees.
I recently was called a few things and had a couple of unpleasant terms thrown my way, simply for not agreeing and holding ground on a issue. Change is inevitable in this world. And it is a rule of Physics in the Universe. But some would argue we aren't part of the universe anyway. To each his own.
__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline  
Old 13-02-2016, 09:54   #60
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't forget about Pammymac, she's become a big fan of English pub beer.
Happy to raise a Spitfire, Pride, Sam's or a Thruxtons Old Peculiar with her any day..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autopilot Losing It's Way ! Revelations Marine Electronics 18 21-01-2012 06:30
Hello Cruisers at Cruisers Forum ! jazzsail Meets & Greets 15 25-11-2010 09:27
Newish to Sailing & Cruisers Forum oceanbug13 Meets & Greets 5 31-07-2008 18:08
The way forward for Cruisers Forum Gisle Forum Tech Support & Site Help 9 10-07-2006 12:06



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.