Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 07:00   #31

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Boatie likened it to a sailor's bar. I think that is a good analogy. So the question is, why don't we talk to each other here the way we would actually talk to each other if we were sitting face to face across that bar. I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum. If they did, I dare say some here would find themselves drinking alone.

Ok.

Man that chick in the corner is really hot. I wonder if she prefers mono, cat or tri? What size anchor do you think she likes?

Are we still sure we want to pretend this is a bar full of sailors?
Old 13-02-2016, 07:02   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel the biggest change over the last couple of years is that the "be nice" rule has resulted in loss of humor and fun on the site, but not to the site being nicer. I probably spent the first 5 years here with no one on my ignore list and now there are 59 people. A lot of regulars have just left as it got to frustrating to decide if it was worth the risk of posting.

You would think the recent increase in these type of threads would flag to someone that there is a problem with how the site is managed.

Far as the OP saying there are more armchair or old book quotes on the site than before, I don't agree. I feel there has been a little change in acceptance of more modern things, you know those things younger than the mid 70s.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:07   #33

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

oldragbaggers, thank you for expressing exactly how I feel as well.

While cooking breakfast I was thinking how to express my thoughts in this thread. You saved me some tedious typing on my phone. And much better written than I would have done.

Thanks.

Now, an oil change and a day sail.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:11   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
definitely bad, and keeps people away but as I am recent member, do not know it any other way. Cat-mono seem to be pretty hot topic for certain mono people, maybe because they feel insecure or simply marketing campaign. As CF does provide sometimes useful info, read only mode is alternative, so you do not login.
Having recently noticing this same thing was sorry to see a divisiveness among sailors based upon choice of boat design.
I never could understand why some individuals actually become so angry with others who have opinions that are different than theirs that they feel compelled to make derisive statements or being outright exclusionary.
I don't think that it is CF in general but rather a few unhappy or highly emotional people.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:11   #35
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Really good posts oldrag, Anne, Phil, Thomm. Etc etc. pretty much all really good posts! 🍻
Old 13-02-2016, 07:12   #36

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I feel the biggest change over the last couple of years is that the "be nice" rule has resulted in loss of humor and fun on the site, but not to the site being nicer. I probably spent the first 5 years here with no one on my ignore list and now there are 59 people. A lot of regulars have just left as it got to frustrating to decide if it was worth the risk of posting.

You would think the recent increase in these type of threads would flag to someone that there is a problem with how the site is managed.

Far as the OP saying there are more armchair or old book quotes on the site than before, I don't agree. I feel there has been a little change in acceptance of more modern things, you know those things younger than the mid 70s.
I think you make a good point, Don. Like I said, I try to keep my comnents in check even when it's funny in my warped mind. But I'm not sure if that's because of moderation or because of the number of humorless, cranky posters here who take any comment as an opportuniry to go for the throat.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:13   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ok.

Man that chick in the corner is really hot. I wonder if she prefers mono, cat or tri? What size anchor do you think she likes?

Are we still sure we want to pretend this is a bar full of sailors?
I find the sailors with these conversations hang out in male only groups.. just looking..
Like some other 'sailors'... just keyboarding..
I prefer multi-tasking.. not everyones cuppa char..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boatie likened it to a sailor's bar. I think that is a good analogy. So the question is, why don't we talk to each other here the way we would actually talk to each other if we were sitting face to face across that bar. I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum. If they did, I dare say some here would find themselves drinking alone.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I say 'Bar' I mean one's local.. you wander in and the usual crowd is at the bar.. a few w/enders and a couple or 3 strangers..
General greetings.. leg pull here and there while deciding who you fancy chatting with today.. and your comfortable enough to respond to an overheard comment from some folk behind you.. and your sucked in with your little group..
Then again you may just exchange pleasantries and dive in a corner and read..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:29   #38

I think this is a sign of the times ,at least here in the USA we are besieged Daily watching the news with negative and derogatory coverage. Of course it is political season and this somehow allows decency and good manners to go by the wayside. I think it is just a social commentary of our time. We probably can all agree that social media is totally antisocial
Old 13-02-2016, 07:31   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Simon, we try hard to keep CF friendly and in particular ensure everyone complies with our "be nice" rule. If you feel that something is unacceptable please feel free to report it using the "report button" under everyone's profile on the left hand side of each post. It will never be perfect, but we can at least try.

For the very small minority that really want to cause offence on line, well there are other sailing forums that may suit their needs better.

Peter
Hi Peter ,

I actually think the 'be nice' rule is the golden pathway for trolls, jerks and grumpiness.

One can nnot really report a troll post, or series of posts, until the become 'not nice'... and a troll can happily manipulate that.

I can't see how a Mod can pull a post that's obviously a troll comment because the poster can just say: tell me where I have been 'un-nice'? I didn't swear etc.

And the Be Nice rule doesn't apply to slagging off people boats. It should. No one who has invested in their pride and joy likes it when people insult their boat. In a bar it never happens because someone would get their face smacked in.

I know moderating a forum is difficult and time consuming, and I know the mods have been trying hard to make the place better. But maybe it needs a few specialts mods who are Troll Busters, agression monitors, and Irrelevance Deleters.

(None of this applies when I am stirring the pot!)

Mark
Old 13-02-2016, 07:33   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Boatie likened it to a sailor's bar. I think that is a good analogy. So the question is, why don't we talk to each other here the way we would actually talk to each other if we were sitting face to face across that bar. I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum.
Or it could be a lot worse.

Depending on the bar, the mood, who's there, and the subject!

She's probably talkin' Annapolis Sailor Bars not Cherry Point, New River, Lejeune, Pendleton, etc
Old 13-02-2016, 07:38   #41

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Love the bar analogy Boatman.

I recall Benjamin Franklin writing that in the discussion groups that he was took part in all opinions had to be phrased as a question rather than a statement . "Is it possible that 2 hulls are better than 1?" This in a time when calling someone "Stupid" even in a round about way could end in a dual. Those were polite times.

Is it possible that our whole society has degenerated to the point that some feel no need to treat others with respect? Grandma expected me to talk to others the way I expected to be talked to and if someone spoke rudely to me to walk away and ignore them. I still wonder if swords or pistols would be better.....
Old 13-02-2016, 07:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Well mate...!!
At over 16,000 posts you could say I'm the 'Bar Fly'..
Spent the 1st 3 years Greeting just about anybody who came through the door.. nowadays the dried beers glued my elbows so if you wander through to the lounge with the non-smokers I'll likely not notice you..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:46   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Peter ,

I actually think the 'be nice' rule is the golden pathway for trolls, jerks and grumpiness.
That's true. And if you call them a troll you know which of you will get a long threatening PM? It wouldn't be the troll.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:49   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
It seems to me the disagreement level is a cyclical event, but always creeping up...

It's a shame, as there's so much knowledge here... It would go a LONG WAY to make things better if more of the argumentative type said:

"I think there's a better way".... Instead of ...

"You're an idiot and completely wrong... "

Excellent post Ann !

(now... is discussing about "not" discussing really discussing???)
Reminded me of an old joke:

-How to say "f u" with a Southern twang?
-Bless your heart...

Old 13-02-2016, 07:51   #45

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I disagree completely with the OP. This is my 6th year as a poster on CF. I have visited the "other" forums and found the level of discussion and quality of posters on CF to be much higher than its competitors. This stems, I believe, from an attempt by the moderators to allow civil discourse in an open and free discussion. In any forum, there are always those who seek to control the dialogue and repress the free flow of ideas and information. In my opinion, they are largely those who either cannot contribute to a discussion in a significant way, are insecure or feel intellectually incapable of dealing with those members who are experienced, knowledgeable and have good communicative skills. I have never felt intimidated by any poster on this Forum and appreciate contrary views since, on occasion, it has led me to rethink some ideas about cruising. Isn't that what the education process entails? And, at times, I have been warned/edited by the moderators for a submission that I felt was fair and respectful and have been the recipient of slanderous and unfair statements, but we do not live in a perfect world. The bottom line, for me, is that what separates Western Civilization from the rest of the world is freedom of speech and expression. There is nothing to be gained by an individual or a society by the heavy hand of PC repression of thoughts and ideas. Good luck and safe sailing.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing