Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 10:14   #61

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Impound !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Im still gonna bypass Cali anyway I can !! I hate to even fly there to vist our kids!! most times I will fly them down here LOL And Capn Phil is right Catalina is an exception to the rule !! But Ventura tho has some of the stupidest Harbor Police in the world LOL never , never stop there unless its for fuel and leave striaght away !! just my 2 cents
Ain't that the truth..........Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:33   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hurry and get to mexico where you are allowed to pay a lil late...and workers are cheaper, but some parts are more pricey----bring yer parts and sail out of kali--san diego is worse than newport ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:43   #63

Boat: Pearson 281

Lordy I do get tired of the whole gov't / union hating thing; reductivist and ahistroical. We skipper this ship.
Yes, since I posted on this thread with an incident I obviously agree that these things don't always work right but what does?
Newport is one place out of a number of places. I have never had trouble in Ventura myself or in Marina Del Rey or King Harbor or anywhere in Catalina or in L.A. Harbor.
I'm 4th genration San Franciscan and I have seen way to much good come out of the "evil" public sector and unions.
That so many Americans have been able to enjoy boating over the last 40-50 years is a function of both.
I disagree, as would any number of "real" activist citizen sailors about the complaining thing. I know it works from experience. There is no "autopilot" for this country and good sailing is up to us We keep the bad skippers in check with activism. Pogo had it right.
Hoping enough boating metaphors gets me over on this
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:58   #64
cruiser

i know a lot of people who "forgot" to pay mooring fees.
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:22   #65

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I'd like to know how they get away with fees for dropping your hook in Mexico? All the deep water is owned by the state. How can Cabo, La Paz, etc. get away with it?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:30   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dont know how they can unless it is geared at getting rid of the undesirable element of no money and cheapskate cruisers and druggies.

most of the places i have anchored do not charge fees for anchoring.
i did not anchor in cabo--i only refueled there--is too rich for my blood. i prefer the smaller and more quaint places without fees for dropping a hook.

some places charge for having a dinghy at a dock--is a security measure in some places. is nice to know the dink will be there intact when ye get back to it from reprovisioning or having laundry done. in la cruz, the fee for using dink dock is recently imposed and there are alternatives with security not being any kind of issue.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:31   #67

Re: IMPOUND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Newport has been a PITA forever !For gods sake don't you dare drop anything overboard!! It could be a goof up and they still will write ya up even if you dive to retrive the thing ya dropped !(don't ask) I left there in !1990 after paying 250 bucks for dropping a winch handle overboard!! I will never enter that harbor again no matter the conditions or for anyreason except maybe foundering !! just my 2 cents ! Ive never had such treatment in any harbor in my life!!
+1

Newport Harbor is where rich people park their boats and anyone else is a hassle that needs to get gone. I pulled in there maybe ten years ago and the kid working at the Newport Yacht Club was nice enough to let me stay tied up to their main dock for the night. He said his boss got in at 7am so as long as we were out before then it was good with him. The fog was pea soup thick and we needed a place to sit it out. Fortune favors the foolish in that regard. Amazed I didn't plow into some rocks somewhere.

But yeah, Newport is a joke.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:41   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Gosh...we should make a list!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 13:11   #69

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ya...but 10 times the amount???
This might be part of the reason the fine is so high:

Pay Your Administrative Citation
Any person violating any provision of the Newport Beach Municipal Code or applicable State Code may be issued an administrative citation. Each and every day that a violation occurs constitutes a separate and distinct offense.

Since the mooring fee was over a day past due, the probably got them for two seperate fines.

The typical parking fine in Newport Beach is $42
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 13:22   #70

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Like i suggested earlier, A "Bad Boy" list would help everyone, even if its highly subjective the information may save others a lot of grief. and also through attrition put pressure on those Bad Marina's to clean up their act.

Quote:
Gosh...we should make a list!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 13:43   #71
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Ya...but 10 times the amount???
I wouldn't really call it a "late" fee. The OP said the harbor police were at the boat chaining it up. Once the police start "doing" something there's going to be a charge. Kind of like if you get pulled over in your car, there is almost a guarantee that there is going to be a ticket of some type. In this case I would call it a fine, not a late fee.
Old 26-03-2012, 14:28   #72

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Just reminded me to pay for my marina berth,
Only 2 weeks late.
Thanks
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 16:06   #73

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Personally I feel we have become sheep and roll over with this type of behavior. If nothing changes than nothing changes. Do we just say..."oh well...they're just doing their job"! No way!...Just posting here, folks will find complaints when they google Newport Marina.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 17:42   #74

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Since nobody at the harbor office thinks that anything is wrong, I plan to call all of the businesses here that I had planned to spend money at for boat stuff and tell them that I have to leave and spend my money in San Diego instead. Maybe they can bend the right ear and something can change.
Old 26-03-2012, 18:05   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I hate to jump in on the wrong side of a passionate thread but...

- the harbor guys work for a wage. When they get their dinghy out they follow some instructions from someone or they follow a rule book
- the rent was late. An admitted mistake
- if it was land and the car was getting hooked up to a tow truck you'd have no luck in not getting towed
- I am sure OP wanted to pay his rent and would have done so before leaving, but what about the guy who leaves without paying?
- i am truly sorry this happened to op but maybe next time pay the rent on time

Lesson learned, move on...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote