Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2018, 09:52   #1

Help for a non boater

Hi everyone,

I have a boat that was left to us by my grandfather. I received the paperwork he had for it and i can not seem to understand one bit hwo to find out what kind of boat it is.

I know not one thing about boats, i am not a fan of sailing, fishing or any other things related to boating. My husband would like to keep it but it will more than likely never get used.

I would like to sell it but do not know where or how to start. One of the documents i have says it was once registered by dmv. On it it says make is Hewit, MO is 91. Does that mean model or month?

I have another document that says undocumented vessel certificate of ownership. Builder says TOLLYCFT, Month 51, It has a hull number, sticker # and type number. I have no idea what any of this means.

Can some one please help me read these documents.
tink89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:15   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Help for a non boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a boat that was left to us by my grandfather. I received the paperwork he had for it and i can not seem to understand one bit hwo to find out what kind of boat it is.

I know not one thing about boats, i am not a fan of sailing, fishing or any other things related to boating. My husband would like to keep it but it will more than likely never get used.

I would like to sell it but do not know where or how to start. One of the documents i have says it was once registered by dmv. On it it says make is Hewit, MO is 91. Does that mean model or month?

I have another document that says undocumented vessel certificate of ownership. Builder says TOLLYCFT, Month 51, It has a hull number, sticker # and type number. I have no idea what any of this means.

Can some one please help me read these documents.
First, our condolences on the passing of your grandfather.

Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like he left you a TollyCraft. They have a reputation for being tough, dependable boats. The brand hasn't been made since the late 90s but is still well-respected and sought after.

I would recommend contacting a local boat broker to look at the paperwork. They would be happy to tell you more about what you have and go over your options, including probable expenses if you decide to keep it. Trying googling "boat brokers near me" and you should come up with a list of people. Shouldn't take but one or two phone calls to find someone who can help.

Best of luck.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help for a non boater

Your best bet is sit down calmly with the docs in front of you and list what is said..
What you have posted is pretty vague.. but then I am a Brit and apart from the popular models the small builders are pretty much an unknown.
If you can scan and post what you have I am sure someone will know what you have..
This is an American site after all is said and done.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 11:40   #4

The TollyCrafts were excellent motor yachts. There are many of them still in operation in the PNW and in BC.

They are, as JE sez, still sought after, and therefore the boat that was left to you may be of considerable value depending on its condition and location. If I were you, I would continue as you have started, by asking people that are closer to seafaring than you are. Whatever you do, do not think that the boat has no value and therefore be cajoled into giving it away for less than the market value of it. 26-footers sell in our market for anything from $25K to $50K!. Larger boats for correspondingly more.

Not that it matters much, but it was only the day before yesterday that MyBeloved was ooh-ing and ah-ing about an elderly TolleyCraft. You might like to know that MB didn't come to seafaring until she was of retirement age, and now she is keener than I am. So you never know :-)!

I have no idea where you are, of course. I'm in Vancouver, B.C. You might not like putting you documentation on the open forum, but if you care to scan in your documentation and attach it to a Private Message to me, I will gladly interpret it for you. I have absolutely no interest in acquiring the boat - having quite enuff in TrentePieds ;-0)! - so I can assure you of a disinterested answer.

Again, since you are unfamiliar with boats: Don't be trapped, by ignorance of the market, into giving away something that has value!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:11   #5

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
I have a boat that was left to us by my grandfather ...

I know not one thing about boats, i am not a fan of sailing, fishing or any other things related to boating. My husband would like to keep it ...
Not wishing to make light of the loss of your grandfather ... but I think we've heard this story before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Ron

good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
may be of considerable value depending on its condition and location.
exactly ... see above

The documentation will tell you what kind of boat it is, but if it's an older boat then everything depends on the condition it is in ... so if it is located nearby ... go and visit it (preferably with someone who knows at least a little about boats), and take some recent photos ... and if it's in a marina try and talk to the neighbours.

once you've worked out what model you have and what condition it's in, you can start to compare to other boats listed for sale:

Tollycraft boats for sale - YachtWorld
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 12:54   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

I have another document that says undocumented vessel certificate of ownership. Builder says TOLLYCFT, Month 51, It has a hull number, sticker # and type number.

By "dmv" you mean Department of Motor Vehicles or similar? If so, might help to know what State.

I've not seen an "undocumented vessel cert. of ownership," but the hull number on there should agree with the Hull Identification Number (HIN) physically located on the boat. Often on the upper starboard part of the transom (i.e., the back right corner). Go look, if it's nearby. The HIN should say builder's name in a 3-letter code (TollyCraft? sounds reasonable) and the HIN also includes info like builder's model, hull number, and month/year built.

I can't immediately equate Hewit, MO and 91 to any of that, but that doesn't mean much... unless there's a Hewit, Missouri, and Tollys were built there (likely not)

-Chris
Old 18-05-2018, 14:36   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

This is an American site after all is said and done.

While at least a plurality of members are US based this is an international forum.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 17:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
First, our condolences on the passing of your grandfather.
Trying googling "boat brokers near me" and you should come up with a list of people. Shouldn't take but one or two phone calls to find someone who can help.

Best of luck.

John
Thanks I did not know about boat brokers I will start googling.
Old 18-05-2018, 17:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
By "dmv" you mean Department of Motor Vehicles or similar? If so, might help to know what State.

I've not seen an "undocumented vessel cert. of ownership," but the hull number on there should agree with the Hull Identification Number (HIN) physically located on the boat. Often on the upper starboard part of the transom (i.e., the back right corner). Go look, if it's nearby. The HIN should say builder's name in a 3-letter code (TollyCraft? sounds reasonable) and the HIN also includes info like builder's model, hull number, and month/year built.

I can't immediately equate Hewit, MO and 91 to any of that, but that doesn't mean much... unless there's a Hewit, Missouri, and Tollys were built there (likely not)

-Chris
Yes by Dmv I mean department of Motor Vehicles. We are located in CA. The boat was just stored in the backyard and will probably stay there for a bit until I figure out what we are doing with. I will get pictures and look at the boat to see what information I can get from the actual boat.

I know the info is vague, but it is mostly because do not know what is important and what is just numbers.

From searching 1963 tollycraft the boat I have attached is very close to what it looks like. I think m husband has some pictures I will attach later.

The boat seems to be in good condition. From what I know it probably has not been used in at least 10 years.
Old 19-05-2018, 08:55   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Yes by Dmv I mean department of Motor Vehicles. We are located in CA. The boat was just stored in the backyard and will probably stay there for a bit until I figure out what we are doing with. I will get pictures and look at the boat to see what information I can get from the actual boat.

I know the info is vague, but it is mostly because do not know what is important and what is just numbers.

From searching 1963 tollycraft the boat I have attached is very close to what it looks like. I think m husband has some pictures I will attach later.

The boat seems to be in good condition. From what I know it probably has not been used in at least 10 years.
If storing it is not a concern don't be in a rush. He may have left you a jewel.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:56   #11

Boat: Prout Event 34

Consider hiring a "marine surveyor". That's an expert who can tell you all about the boat and what is right or wrong with it, and he/she works for you, not a broker or buyer.

A quick look would cost maybe $200, a detailed condition report more.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 12:26   #12

Boat: 16' AMF Sunbird

One thing to know is that boats and trailers are registered separately with different state divisions. This tripped me up when I bought my first boat. When you do get to selling, the bill of sale must have the boat and trailer prices listed separately.

Good luck,
Jeff
jeffp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffp2 View Post
One thing to know is that boats and trailers are registered separately with different state divisions. This tripped me up when I bought my first boat. When you do get to selling, the bill of sale must have the boat and trailer prices listed separately.

Good luck,
Jeff
Thanks I realized this after. So it does look like what I have is a 1963 TollyCraft.
The Hewitt is the registration to the trailer.

I’ do not think that that neither the trailer or boat have been register or used in a while.

I have not been able to do much looking in to anything else. But there seems to. It be much info on this type or I just don’t know how to find it.
Old 26-05-2018, 05:38   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thanks I realized this after. So it does look like what I have is a 1963 TollyCraft.
The Hewitt is the registration to the trailer.

I’ do not think that that neither the trailer or boat have been register or used in a while.

I have not been able to do much looking in to anything else. But there seems to. It be much info on this type or I just don’t know how to find it.

How long is the boat? Is the trailer hydraulic?

I don't know much about Tollys, but none of the ones I've seen would be considered routinely trailerable, mostly due to beam. (Although trailering, especially for short distances, could be more of a storage solution...)

Anyway, given the model (from the HIN) you could maybe look on sources like yachtworld.com for similar vessels...

-Chris
Old 26-05-2018, 05:42   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help for a non boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
While at least a plurality of members are US based this is an international forum.
True.. Ratio is about 100 to one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat