Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2021, 14:11   #136

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Heart Results Are In - Boat Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
At sea or on land,
where would you rather
die ?
Going against the common opinion, I値l have to say land. I壇 prefer it to be peaceful and not rocking. Maybe some drugs to take the edge off.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:39   #137

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I solved all the issues you are imagining out. They are in the identical place as the sail drives would be. So it’s exactly the same as having sail drives. This isn’t a little John boat with an outboard hanging off the transom. Minus my prop issue, there is no difference between these and having saildrives.

Interesting setup

Do they retract vertically in that position too? I've seen either an Aussie or a Kiwi boat with that setup as well. I think they also had blanking plates fitted under the props to fit flush with the hull for sailing.

Although with the current thinking of being a motor catamaran you won't really need to retract them much.

Except maybe for maintenance I guess. It would be nice to be able to access everything right down to the props without getting wet.

Do you also have a fresh water flush installed?

I've seen Seawind catamarans with that, using a flushing port on the engine block itself rather than the water intake on the lower part of the leg.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 15:13   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

Interesting setup

Do they retract vertically in that position too? I've seen either an Aussie or a Kiwi boat with that setup as well. I think they also had blanking plates fitted under the props to fit flush with the hull for sailing.

Although with the current thinking of being a motor catamaran you won't really need to retract them much.

Except maybe for maintenance I guess. It would be nice to be able to access everything right down to the props without getting wet.

Do you also have a fresh water flush installed?

I've seen Seawind catamarans with that, using a flushing port on the engine block itself rather than the water intake on the lower part of the leg.

Exactly.

They retract out of the water but I figured why not make things easy on myself? They retract all the way to deck level. I can sit on the top aft step (or maybe the second one down) to change the prop.

I don’t flush my outboards enough to be honest. I just haul them out of the water.
Old 24-05-2021, 15:22   #139

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Exactly.

They retract out of the water but I figured why not make things easy on myself? They retract all the way to deck level. I can sit on the to aft step (or maybe the second one down) to change the prop.

I don’t flush my outboards enough to be honest. I just haul them out of the water.
Great You should take a look at the Seawind system, it's simple enough. They have a plumbed pressure fresh water line right there in each 'engine bay'.

But they still need to take the cowling off. I think I would go one step futher and plumb it all permanently, just needing a valve to open at the engine. The easier it is the more likely and more often you will use it.

Let me know if you need a video of their setup and I'll try to find it.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 15:41   #140

Boat: Paceship P29 & Morgan OI 416
Send a message via Skype™ to Bazz

Quote:
I値l have to say land...
There you go.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 15:46   #141

Quote:
Great You should take a look at the Seawind system, it's simple enough. They have a plumbed pressure fresh water line right there in each 'engine bay'.

But they still need to take the cowling off. I think I would go one step futher and plumb it all permanently, just needing a valve to open at the engine. The easier it is the more likely and more often you will use it.

Let me know if you need a video of their setup and I'll try to find it.

Sea wind ALWAYS gets the design right. I知 a huge fan. If I were buying a production boat, they would be near the top of my list, for sure.

I値l take a look at the fresh water system you池e talking about, but may not really need to. A permanent attachment, hose through the cowling and a valve to turn on and off. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 24-05-2021, 16:21   #142

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Jon Sanders is nearing the end of his 11th solo circumnavigation around the world.

"In 2015 he underwent open heart surgery but, once recovered, he went again in 2016 in Perie Banou II, and once more in 2019".

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/crui...he-world-75202

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 16:42   #143

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:

The flushing ports on the engine don't flush all passages the way the "earmuffs" do. Better than nothing, but I would supplement with occasional earmuff flush.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 16:55   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
There you go.
But I知 not sure I知 here to choose my death bed location. I知 trying to figure out how to live. Lol
Old 24-05-2021, 17:52   #145

Quote:
I知 trying to figure out how to live. Lol
With some repetition from previous posts, and excusing the wall of text:

-While Beta Blockers save the lives of many HF patients (including mine) in some ways they make the symptoms much worse, and thus if your cardiologist eventually suggest you no longer need them you might find an enormous reduction in your symptoms such as dizziness, tiredness/lethargy, extremity numbing, exercise tolerance, and even mental acuity/memory. Different BB"s also affect different patients in different ways- I have switched from Coreg to Metoprolol to Bisoprolol in search of more energy and found I tolerate the latter much better. If you can be weaned off of them entirely you should find yourself back pretty darn close to the old you. If not, and certainly in the meantime, track your BP and learn how to control it from dropping to the point where you become dizzy (more frequent, smaller meals, perhaps) and use a chest strap based heart monitor to track your HR during exercise.

I also agree with the doc recommended exercise routines- HIIT if it's allowed, but make sure the HII's are short given you are a cardiac patient.

I completely understand your situation- the tiredness, frustration, maybe anger, and feeling of loss, but you may be able to get it back if your meds are eventually reduced. If not, I think it unlikely you will be able to manage owning and operating a sailboat on your own. Since I developed Dilated Cardiomyopathy I certainly can't, and have learned to adapt (almost), but your situation is much different and you have much hope.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 20:09   #146

Boat: Paceship P29 & Morgan OI 416
Send a message via Skype™ to Bazz

Quote:
But I知 not sure I知 here ...
Oh, come on!
Be there.

Get yourself the best RV you can

See the World,
forget The sea.

It痴 your adventure,
not your
previous ghost痴
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 02:28   #147

I was taken off Atenolol (beta blocker) because it was making me diabetic. (The drug is no longer prescribed)

Are prescription drugs any better than witch's potions?

Two million warned over blood pressure tablets

Last updated at 23:33 27 June 2006

Two million Britons are to be taken off blood pressure drugs after studies showed they increase the risk of strokes, heart attacks and diabetes.
From today, beta blockers will no longer routinely be prescribed for high blood pressure.

Patients on beta blockers are also up to 30 per cent more likely to develop diabetes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-tablets.html
Old 25-05-2021, 04:54   #148

Yeah. It’s a real tricky situation. The stent can cause clotting which can mess you up badly. So can the corner of your heart where blood is just sitting around because it isn’t being pumped out correctly.

The blood thinners keep you from dying or getting severely hurt from blood clots.

The statins stabilize and plaque on arterial walls preventing further problems while reducing bad cholesterol.

Both pretty necessary right after a heart attack and stent. But I’m hoping to get off these meds ASAP. Looks like about a year. I hope to reduce the statin because I’m in a very high dose. The carvidilol beta blocker, I’m enjoying. I’m a hectic, nervous, high output kind of guy. I’m on 3.5mg (tiny tiny little pill) of carvidilol. It took me out of frequent ventricular fibrillation when they put me on it, but it also calmed me way down. No more anxiety or panic attacks possible. Everything is less stressful and more care free now. I don’t think I can even get mad anymore. It’s not possible. Beta blockers are awesome. Been testing blood sugar and it’s normal so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 25-05-2021, 05:01   #149

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I was taken off Atenolol (beta blocker) because it was making me diabetic. (The drug is no longer prescribed)

Are prescription drugs any better than witch's potions?

They all have the potential to cause problems. It's just a matter of which problems are worst in your specific case and whether or not there's a better way to resolve the problem. Sometimes you can avoid the meds or only need them for a short time until something improves, other times they solve more problems than they cause.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 06:10   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
They all have the potential to cause problems. It's just a matter of which problems are worst in your specific case and whether or not there's a better way to resolve the problem. Sometimes you can avoid the meds or only need them for a short time until something improves, other times they solve more problems than they cause.

"Whether or not there's a better way to resolve the problem" I'm sure there almost certainly is.

I think doctors should look at the cause of the problem before they prescribe medicines. Just have a look at these facts.

Retail Rx spending per capita each year
  • Netherlands. $417.
  • Australia. $427.
  • United Kingdom. $497.
  • France. $553.
  • Canada. $669.
  • Germany. $686.
  • Switzerland. $783.
  • United States. $1,011.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ted-countries/

List of countries by life expectancy

The USA comes in at 40th despite outspending every other country on prescription drugs significantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy

List of countries by obesity rate

If you ignore the Pacific islanders the USA comes second!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_obesity_rate

Top Fast Food Consuming Countries in the world
  • United States. United States is reported as the biggest consumer of fast food in the world. ...
  • France. France ranks second in list of Fast Food Consuming Countries French food restaurants are very famous in all the countries around the globe. ...
  • Canada. ...
  • United Kingdom. ...
  • South Korea.
https://www.countriesnow.com/top-5-f...-in-the-world/

The United States Has Opioid Overdose Death Rates More Than Twice Those of Any Other Country

https://journals.lww.com/backletter/...h_Rates.5.aspx

But judging by Chotu's previous comments he is very much aware of the need for exercise and a healthy diet and he'll ditch the medicines as soon as it is safe to do so.

Tags
boat