Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2008, 20:00   #1

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
View poll results w/o voting

Currently, When there is a poll in a thread...

A. You can vote in the poll and then see the results every time you come back to the thread.

B. You can click to see the results without voting but you have to click each visit.

For certain threads I don't want or can not vote but I am interested in seeing the results each time I come back to the thread, but I don't want to have to click to see the results each time.

Is there a way to add a button, check box, or something to bypass voting and see the results each time I view the thread (as if I had voted)?

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 21:28   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
Currently, When there is a poll in a thread...

A. You can vote in the poll and then see the results every time you come back to the thread.

B. You can click to see the results without voting but you have to click each visit.

For certain threads I don't want or can not vote but I am interested in seeing the results each time I come back to the thread, but I don't want to have to click to see the results each time.

Is there a way to add a button, check box, or something to bypass voting and see the results each time I view the thread (as if I had voted)?
At the top of the page (window) where the poll is, you can click on the underlined words "View Poll Results"
Old 30-05-2008, 21:43   #3

Please... I am a bit smarter than that.

I don't know how to "more clearly" explain this. When you click the link to view the results, it takes me away from the thread. Each time I re-visit the thread after more people have voted, I don't like having to leave the thread again just to see the new results.

I would prefer to click a check box or button so that I see the results without ever voting each time I visit the thread.

The way it works now: If I vote, from then on I can always see the results at the top of the thread.

I would like to be able to NOT vote but click something so that from then on I can always see the results at the top of the thread.

Old 31-05-2008, 22:53   #4

Hello? Where are the "support" people?

If you don't understand my idea, wouldn't you ask me to carify?

If you don't like my idea wouldn't you tell me so?

Hmmm...

Old 31-05-2008, 23:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
At present, there is no other way. But I will ask the software guru's if they can change something.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
Hello? Where are the "support" people?

If you don't understand my idea, wouldn't you ask me to carify?

If you don't like my idea wouldn't you tell me so?

Hmmm...
Gene,

Thanks for the idea. As you noted, when you click 'view poll results' the poll opens and you can no longer view the thread that's its attached to. This is 'hard wired' into the platform (vbulletin) that runs our forum so the fastest way back to the thread you were viewing is to click the back arrow in your browser. So for those polls you don't want to vote on, this would be the best option for forum navigation.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 22:00   #7

Thanks Delmarrey, Alan, and Janet!

The last suggestion is exactly how I do it now. I was just hoping to make things a little bit better/easier for myself and other readers. I surely am not the only one that would use the feature.

I hoped it wouldn't be difficult for the software guru to add a button. After I vote the thread always shows the results, so the button would just have to enable whatever gets enabled when I vote (as if I had actually voted).

Basically make it three buttons instead of two...

"Vote" or "Never Vote" or "View poll results"

Old 02-06-2008, 02:47   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This works, I just tried it. Vote for all of the selections by holding down the Ctrl key and checking all the boxes. By voting on all the selections you are nullifying your vote and you can achieve what you want to do, that is to be able to see the poll results each time you come back to the thread.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
This works, I just tried it. Vote for all of the selections by holding down the Ctrl key and checking all the boxes. By voting on all the selections you are nullifying your vote and you can achieve what you want to do, that is to be able to see the poll results each time you come back to the thread.

Interesting suggestion but this may only work on some polls. When a poll is set up, the author has the option of stipulating how many votes one member may enter. If the poll is set up to allow only one vote, then this may not work.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote