Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 11:17   #166
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I did, once upon a time ...

LOL, reminds me of that song, The Perfect Sailor, by Eileen Quinn
Hey speaking of classics, have you ever cruised around in a canal barge or sailing barge? I always thought they looked like a fun way to travel around Europe. Maybe when we retire....
__________________

__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:26   #167
Moderator
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,523
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey speaking of classics, have you ever cruised around in a canal barge or sailing barge?

Sort of, yes. When my father retired he bought a 100yr old, sunken hull (with ducks and all) and said 'hey, I'm starting a charter company'.

Originally, this was a sailing barge ("Apelo Zeetjalk").

He shortened the hull so she could fit in the French locks (she was about 82' originally, he took a bit out of the middle and ended up with 65' - better for the locks and all the rules and regs for chartering in the Netherlands).

He passed away before the boat was finished (still needed about 3/4 of the interior), but we did manage to enjoy a few cruises with just family (we're all "bucket trained", hahaha!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Im323a.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	120415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Im1948site.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	120416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00875.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	120417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Im152site.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	120418  

__________________

__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 20:56   #168
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Sort of, yes. When my father retired he bought a 100yr old, sunken hull (with ducks and all) and said 'hey, I'm starting a charter company'.

Originally, this was a sailing barge ("Apelo Zeetjalk").

He shortened the hull so she could fit in the French locks (she was about 82' originally, he took a bit out of the middle and ended up with 65' - better for the locks and all the rules and regs for chartering in the Netherlands).

He passed away before the boat was finished (still needed about 3/4 of the interior), but we did manage to enjoy a few cruises with just family (we're all "bucket trained", hahaha!):
Really nice shots of the project, thanks for those! An amazing and inspiring resurrection!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 20:59   #169
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

I wonder if anyone out there is cruising in a Pearson Invicta, or an early Hinckley (S&S) or Alden? Any photos?
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 22:15   #170
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Just came across this one on eBay, Pearson Triton, 1959, hull #16, yawl too! In Virginia. Worth a look I bet!
1959 Pearson Triton Yawl Hull No 16 | eBay
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:48   #171
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Pearson 28-1
Posts: 985
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Don't think I haven't been tempted, Don. I'm just not sure how many different P28s I can own!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 10:35   #172
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Hey, we got 49 members on the Plastic Classics group! One more and I'll win the CF burgee and a toaster!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...+classics.html
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:27   #173
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: French Polynesia
Boat: Allied 39
Posts: 368
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Ok Don the toaster hmmmmm. Can't pass that one up!

We have an Allied 39 designed in 1944 by the Owens power boat people(originally out of wood) and then built in 69 out of glass by Allied. It is an old CCA design which means we pay for a 40' boat and have a 29' water line haha. Have owned Jacaranda for 30 years. Been out since 2005 this trip. We call her a Volkswagen Van. Not fast, not roomy but she gets us there and we share the same view as others in there 200k vessels.

Safe sailing everyone

Chuck & Linda
Jacaranda
Allied 39
Nuka Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia





www.jacarandajourney.com
__________________
www.jacarandajourney.com
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 12:55   #174
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Ok Don the toaster hmmmmm. Can't pass that one up!

We have an Allied 39 designed in 1944 by the Owens power boat people(originally out of wood) and then built in 69 out of glass by Allied. It is an old CCA design which means we pay for a 40' boat and have a 29' water line haha. Have owned Jacaranda for 30 years. Been out since 2005 this trip. We call her a Volkswagen Van. Not fast, not roomy but she gets us there and we share the same view as others in there 200k vessels.

Safe sailing everyone

Chuck & Linda
Jacaranda
Allied 39
Nuka Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia





www.jacarandajourney.com
Hmm, Yes, Allied 39 does certainly qualify. I think I'll even win a genuine ball point pen with that one! Great to hear from a fellow VW van enthusiast! Send photos!
Oh wait, just saw the website, fantastic! And Jacaranda is really beautiful, and rare!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 21:36   #175
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

50 members in the Classics group! I win the toaster! But then again, I started a different thread a couple days ago that got 0 replies, so I think I have to give the toaster back for that. I'm gonna keep the ball point pen though!
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:17   #176
Registered User
 
Ribbit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 655
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Keep the toaster, apparently the EU has only temporarily shelved banning toasters until after the UK exit referendum(apparently they are dead serious about it).

You never know such insanity may be catching, and a toaster could become a precious heirloom.

In good news, it does look as if my boat pursuit is over.

It's a McCurdy & Rhodes Seafarer 34. Fingers crossed the survey and sea trial go ok.

They had better, I have the flight, accommodation etc., booked for next week.
__________________
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 18:08   #177
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Keep the toaster, apparently the EU has only temporarily shelved banning toasters until after the UK exit referendum(apparently they are dead serious about it).

You never know such insanity may be catching, and a toaster could become a precious heirloom.

In good news, it does look as if my boat pursuit is over.

It's a McCurdy & Rhodes Seafarer 34. Fingers crossed the survey and sea trial go ok.

They had better, I have the flight, accommodation etc., booked for next week.
Great news! Sloop or yawl? Centerboard? That is a great looking design. Haven't seen one in person yet.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 18:58   #178
Registered User
 
Ribbit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 655
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Great news! Sloop or yawl? Centerboard? That is a great looking design. Haven't seen one in person yet.
It's a sloop Don, and specs say it's the 5.25ft draft fixed keel, but I must admit it's pretty much the only centerboard boat I wouldn't mind having. So I'd be easy either way.

Basic, seems well looked after, I think it may be an estate sale as some info is conflicting and I'm getting 'don't know's'. Some were sold as kits, and I think this is one of them (I'm ok with that).

I love the design, to me it's a bit like an Endeavour 32's bigger brother.

I fly out on the 30th, should see it on the 31st. I'll take piccys.
__________________
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 17:40   #179
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,624
Images: 16
Re: Got a plastic classic?

All you folks in the group, don't forget to post some good shots of your boats, including any where you're on the hard.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...the+group.html
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:25   #180
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Living aboard & cruising since 1972
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,226
Images: 1
Re: Got a plastic classic?

I'm torn between keeping my 1973 Morgan true to the original design, but I've given up trying to keep my old rubber gaskets on my portlights. I've been battling the leaks for too long!



Today I finished replacing all the portlights on my port side with acrylic adhered directly to my hull with 3M VHB4991 double-sided tape sealed with Dow 791.



They're a little bigger, but I wanted the added surface area for good adhesion. The compromise with appearance will be worth the tight seal without the rain leaks I've been plagued with!
__________________

__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: Classic yacht classic passage overtheseas Crew Archives 4 04-02-2016 13:57
Want To Buy: Whitby, Brewer, CSY 44, or Similar Classic Plastic NorthernneckLon Classifieds Archive 0 15-08-2010 13:06
Plastic Pilothouse Windows? froggman180 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 28 24-03-2010 08:49
Great buy on a 30' 'classic plastic'... bobola Classifieds Archive 0 10-06-2007 15:42
plastic teak? Dman Construction, Maintenance & Refit 10 22-07-2006 13:22


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.