Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 11:59   #136

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: California communities suing for polluters to pay for storm damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Look at the big picture. If I can use the phrase 'climate change doubters', surely no one will deny that the greatest number by far reside in the USA? The only plausible explanation for countries like Germany and China leading the way on alternative energy, while USA apparently drags its feet, drawing scorn from every other country, is the incredible concentration of climate deniers/doubters in that one part of the globe. And the only explanation I can come up with for that is that USA has been subjected to far, far more climate denial 'science' that the rest of us, because of your media laws requiring 'balance'.

If climate denial science turns out to be correct, no worries, the rest of the world will be electric and America can carry on spewing pollution. But if the other science turns out to be correct, despite the denials, which planet will we all inhabit then?

Maybe your leader has the perfect answer: just pick off those insignificant, annoying little states one by one and nuke 'em! Is that the plan for stopping climate refugees? It is certainly one option, just not one that I'm personally in favour of, but hey...
You just sit there and make stuff up!!!
Old 22-09-2017, 12:13   #137

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Is it not correct to say USA laws require media 'balance' - any news about climate change science must be 'balanced' by climate science 'denial'?
Old 22-09-2017, 12:39   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
What did he make up?
Old 22-09-2017, 13:02   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Those were "facts". Look them up yourself. I am sure the numbers will vary a little, but fact remains that Californians burn more fossil fuel than most of the rest of the US, per capita if that is the correct use of the word. By that I mean per person.
So it would seem the ones making the most noise, are the worst offenders?

Note, I'm not saying anything about Global warming, just use of fossil fuels, which in my ignorance is I believe one of the biggest sources of the gasses, that we can control.
That's not the post I was referring to. Sorry, could have been more succinct. I was referring to the post where you were assuming stuff.
Old 22-09-2017, 13:07   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

They are suing over a product that they put in their own vehicles? Can anyone say hypocrite?

Life begins where land ends.
Old 22-09-2017, 13:13   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Is it not correct to say USA laws require media 'balance' - any news about climate change science must be 'balanced' by climate science 'denial'?
No, it's not correct.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 22-09-2017, 13:43   #142

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Look at the big picture. If I can use the phrase 'climate change doubters', surely no one will deny that the greatest number by far reside in the USA? The only plausible explanation for countries like Germany and China leading the way on alternative energy, while USA apparently drags its feet, drawing scorn from every other country, is the incredible concentration of climate deniers/doubters in that one part of the globe. And the only explanation I can come up with for that is that USA has been subjected to far, far more climate denial 'science' that the rest of us, because of your media laws requiring 'balance'.
After "leading the way," German taxpayers have started to come to terms with the exorbitant costs of alternative energy and the country has resumed building coal plants. Despite the rhetoric coming out of their state controlled media, China builds on avg. a new coal plant once a week. Hmmmm . . . where do you get your news??

In the US the govt imposes no laws requiring media "balance," only on equal time for political candidates under certain circumstances. If the US govt required media balance then most US news outlets would be shut down for being completely biased.
Old 22-09-2017, 13:45   #143

California communities suing for polluters to pay for storm damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If we are to assume that this years higher than average number of Hurricanes in the US is due to anything.
How do we explain the preceding twelve years of lower than average?

As you allude we can't prognosticate global warming from the varying number of storms in one year. Average ocean temps on the other hand are really hard to fake and equally easy to both re-measure and to peer review.

Ocean temps = rising

Warmer oceans = more and larger storms

Which hurricane season will be busier 2017 or 2018?
No idea but the trend is clear and pointing in one direction.

Slower jetstream = more rainfall from pinned rotating storms

I believe CAFE standards are, like most legislation, unable to keep up with technology. Electric & entrepreneurs will get us there.

"Electrification is coming, whether automakers make pledges to update their fleets or not. Tesla's flashy all-electric vehicles have built up massive hype in the automotive scene, while legislators around the world are working to promote the use of electric cars and even ban OG gas engines for environmental reasons. Daimler is taking a step into the future with its commitment to electric cars — but it's a step that all carmakers will eventually have to take to stay on the road."

http://feeds.mashable.com/~r/Mashable/~3/cI3jZKnQe8I/

Will taking the manmade contribution down to zero stop global warming? Not likely but if the Pentagon is saying our planet is going to crack we should at least try.

What caused the little ice age? We still don't agree 500 years later. So yeah some of this well-intended science is overstated but both the intention and conclusion are positive.
Old 22-09-2017, 13:51   #144
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
As you allude we can't prognosticate global warming from the varying number of storms in one year. Average ocean temps on the other hand are really hard to fake and equally easy to both re-measure and to peer review.

Ocean temps = rising

I believe CAFE standards are, like most legislation, unable to keep up with technology. Electric & entrepreneurs will get us there.

"Electrification is coming, whether automakers make pledges to update their fleets or not. Tesla's flashy all-electric vehicles have built up massive hype in the automotive scene, while legislators around the world are working to promote the use of electric cars and even ban OG gas engines for environmental reasons. Daimler is taking a step into the future with its commitment to electric cars — but it's a step that all carmakers will eventually have to take to stay on the road."

Mercedes-Benz pours $1 billion dollars into electric car production

Will taking the manmade contribution down to zero stop global warming? Not likely but if the Pentagon is saying our planet is going to crack we should at least try.

What caused the little ice age? We still don't agree 500 years later. So yeah some of this well-intended science is overstated but both the intention and conclusion are positive.
Hmmm.... I wonder where all that electricity to power the cars will come from?? Oh silly me... I forgot... it will come out of the wall sockets like magic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	156519  
Old 22-09-2017, 14:40   #145

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sahara desert pictures from early 2017. Just six months ago.... how quickly some forget.
Snow in the Sahara is not that uncommon but this brings up something we probably have all noticed and that is the greater meandering in the jet streams which carry the storms around. This degree of meander, as I understand it, is in response to the temperature difference between the poles and the equator. As the atmosphere warms that difference decreases and causes a slowing and meandering of the jet stream bringing unusual weather around the world.
Old 22-09-2017, 15:03   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hmmm.... I wonder where all that electricity to power the cars will come from?? Oh silly me... I forgot... it will come out of the wall sockets like magic.

I didn't know they made battery operated unicorns !!

It'll actually come from the power wall in YOUR garage my friend ! Should you choose to buy one... It's a free country.
Old 22-09-2017, 15:21   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Exile, where did you get your news about Germany reverting to coal? Germany is still using coal fired generation as it moves towards green energy. It seems to me that it is the US that is trying to revert to coal after some coal fired plants have moved to natural gas, which isn't all that great.

In 2016, for the first time, New York obtained more than 1 million megawatthours of electricity from solar generation, and 84% of that power came from distributed sources such as rooftop solar panels.

So, cities, states, provinces and countries around the world are doing what they can even as your enemy within tries to reverse the trend. It is a huge problem that will not be reversed in a year or two but at least there are many forward thinking people who are trying.
Old 22-09-2017, 15:31   #148
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I didn't know they made battery operated unicorns !!

It'll actually come from the power wall in YOUR garage my friend ! Should you choose to buy one... It's a free country.
And where does the power to recharge that power wall come from????
Old 22-09-2017, 15:34   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Ocean temps = rising

Mercedes-Benz pours $1 billion dollars into electric car production

Actually the question of the lia cause has been identified as combination of solar grand minimum and a couple vol cc anoes .
Budabing budaboom. Ice age.
Old 22-09-2017, 15:49   #150

California communities suing for polluters to pay for storm damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
And where does the power to recharge that power wall come from????

That's the beauty of it Newhaul !! It comes from, get this, your own roof. Up on your roof, only if you choose it in this free country, you have Mr Musk's MAGIC solar roof tiles with a lifetime guarantee !!!!!

So all those little photons you've been bouncing away every day will instead now convert to electrons and go down through (well along) a little copper tube into the power wall.

The tiles fill the battery up every day.

The battery (power wall) fills the car (Tesla although that new electric Porsche looks pretty good too) every day.

The battery also recharges Kenomac's kids battery powered unicorn and runs your coffee maker to boot.

And in a little while Mr Musk is going to have more money than GE.

I'm just hoping that Tesla got ONE set of roof tiles and a power wall installed somewhere in Puerto Rico before the storm. You have to see how happy that guy's wife is -- "yes honey the TV news is right just this once, the Puerto Rico electrical grid won't be back for 4-6 months. I'm so glad we installed that powerwall two weeks ago cause I have no time for a gas station line. Can you pass me another cold beer? [emoji482]

If they didn't get a powerwall into Puerto Rico beforehand they should fly one in right now as a gift and livestream that sh@%^= for us. "Over the next 6 months we are going to livestream two Puerto Rican families who live next to each other. One family was given a solar roof and powerwall and a Tesla. The family that lost the coin flip will do without these items."

All you need is one solar house up on a hill in Puerto Rico with the lights on and everyone else will figure it out.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, california, poll