Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 20:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Boat interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

The other day I came across a boat that made me think "hippie spirit lives here" or "arty folks own this boat." In any case, the boat is unusual, the interior decor is imaginative and looks much more "comfortable" and "personal" than most boats I see online (which are mostly empty boats for sale).

Here is a link. Take a look at the use of fabrics, rugs, color, artwork on the bulkheads (walls), etc. It reminded me of a Bed & Breakfast, with character. While the boat may not be typical, is not exactly my taste, it is the unusual aspects of it and the decoration of it that I found interesting and appealing for that difference.

1971 Nanaimo Shipyards Motorsailor Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Interesting interior and very inviting for a place to live but considering the décor and appliances everywhere I doubt that boat has left the dock in months if not years. If they did it was on a dead, flat calm day and they didn't leave the harbor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 20:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Interesting interior and very inviting for a place to live but considering the décor and appliances everywhere I doubt that boat has left the dock in months if not years. If they did it was on a dead, flat calm day and they didn't leave the harbor.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But, I bet there are a LOT of boats like that around the country (those boats that never leave a marina except on calm days and never leave a harbor or bay).

I looked at this boat and enjoyed seeing the different space and the "homeyness" of it. I liken it to a "barge" or "narrowboat" (UK) that is distinctively different type of living on the water.

The houseboats in San Francisco Bay can be like that. Never move, but interesting living on the water.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 00:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
Many of the cushions are our own unique and beautiful designs in washable fabrics...

Nauti Cushions, Floating Impressions
The design is quite pretty, but unfortunately lacks any description of the filling and the fabric! Is it cotton, synthetic or mixed fiber? Is the filling of the cushions made of foam rubber or down feather?
Arsinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 00:51   #19
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinoe View Post
The design is quite pretty, but unfortunately lacks any description of the filling and the fabric! Is it cotton, synthetic or mixed fiber? Is the filling of the cushions made of foam rubber or down feather?
The items listed are cushion covers only, as described. We apologize for any confusion.

We used to supply inners, but found them to be ridiculously expensive to ship...and readily found at low cost locally in most areas.

The Nauti-Cushion covers are our own designs, printed and sewn in Australia. The fabric is a linen-look, hard-wearing and machine-washable synthetic. Detailed fabric specs are available if you need them. We had to use a synthetic fabric to ensure high quality printing and durability. The particular fabric we use was developed for (and is widely used at the top end of) the health care industry.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 03:36   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Forgive my ignorance here, but maybe you can answer a question I've had for some time. What do you do with a bunch of loose cushions like that? You don't sit on them, you don't use them under your head when you sleep...what good are they? Everytime I visit someone who covers their sofas and chairs with these things, I typically have to pick up one or two to find a place to sit, and then you have to find someplace else other than where you want to sit to put the loose cushions. I never know what to do with them. Are you supposed to sit there with them between your back and the furniture and act like that lump is comfy? Fling them into another compartment out of the way? Are they actually useful for anything?

I think they look nice, but in a boat with limited interior room and a place where things sort of need to be useful ,several cubic feet of puffy fabric things just doesn't seem to make that much sense to me. Kind of like the fluffy covers some people put on toilet lids, that then make it impossible to keep them open without holding them with one hand.
Old 14-05-2015, 05:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Forgive my ignorance here, but maybe you can answer a question I've had for some time. What do you do with a bunch of loose cushions like that? You don't sit on them, you don't use them under your head when you sleep...what good are they? Everytime I visit someone who covers their sofas and chairs with these things, I typically have to pick up one or two to find a place to sit, and then you have to find someplace else other than where you want to sit to put the loose cushions. I never know what to do with them. Are you supposed to sit there with them between your back and the furniture and act like that lump is comfy? Fling them into another compartment out of the way? Are they actually useful for anything?

I think they look nice, but in a boat with limited interior room and a place where things sort of need to be useful ,several cubic feet of puffy fabric things just doesn't seem to make that much sense to me. Kind of like the fluffy covers some people put on toilet lids, that then make it impossible to keep them open without holding them with one hand.

Same questions here. Furniture is no longer for using, it is now a fashion statement.

Seems like the same thing has happened to beds as well. I always had a bed with a sheet, quilt or bedspread of some kind and a couple of pillows. Now beds come with enough pillows to supply a large harem and is covered with duvets, shams, flim-flams, dust ruffles, fluffy ruffles and more that have no discernible function.

I have to pile this stuff on the floor to have room to sleep and then trip on it if I get up in the night to find the head.

Don't even get me started on the fluffy toilet seat covers.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 05:57   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:

We actually do use ours quite a lot. I like to make my covers out of Sunbrella marine canvas (the stuff you use for sail covers) for at least a couple of them so they can do double duty in the cabin and in the cockpit. They are just the thing for leaning back against the cabin house to read when you're in the cockpit or for reclining back to read down below. I don't have a lot of them, and I'm not into fluff or ruffles of any kind (including toilet seat covers) but one or two on each settee can create a nice comfortable backrest anywhere you want to stretch out.

One creative use for them is to store cold weather gear, your extra towels, bedsheets or blankets. They get to do double duty that way and the blankets are always handy when you need them, not buried in a locker. A couple of fleece jackets make a nice comfy pillow stuffing.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have to get one of these to put in the Guest Stateroom some night! :big grin:

Love it!
Old 14-05-2015, 06:18   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance here, but maybe you can answer a question I've had for some time. What do you do with a bunch of loose cushions like that? Are you supposed to sit there with them between your back and the furniture and act like that lump is comfy? Fling them into another compartment out of the way? Are they actually useful for anything?
I offer no defense for the toilet covers, as I dislike them too.

But, I am, as I write this now, sitting with a small square "throw pillow" behind my lower back (lumbar support) and it feels VERY nice to have that extra back support/cushion even when in any chair.

So, I see the practical utility and valuable "comfort" a few good movable cushions can have on a boat.

Boats are usually full of hard things. Some soft things makes it easier to get comfortable, especially if the boat is heeling and the body is at some odd angle on some canted surface.

And, I have occasionally used one when kneeling to work on something on the floor (e.g. large artwork), as my kneecaps don't like hard surfaces after a few minutes.

Someone else posted the idea to put some spare towels or clothing in a pillow case. I agree and think that is an excellent idea for "dual use" where it works.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:33   #25
cruiser

Wife has done the salon cushions with a fairly neutral tone, and done several large fluffy throw cushions in brighter colors (stuffed with dog beds - EVERYTHING is washable). If change is desired, the cushions can be easily/cheaply recovered. The cushions get moved around the boat as armrests/backrests, or pillows on the forward nets - we find them quite versatile and useful
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 06:39   #26

Everybody has different taste.

Do what you and the gf like.

But don't do something crappy and call it "gypsy."

You'll give real gypsies a bad name.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 07:43   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With a few clicks on the internet, one can find just about anything!

Including Gypsy Van Interiors:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/gy...van-interiors/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy Van Exterior.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	102087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy Van Interior 7.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	102088  

Name:	Gypsy Van Interior 6.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	102089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy Van Interior 5.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	102090  

Name:	Gypsy Van Interior 3.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	102091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gypsy Van Interior 1.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	102092  

Old 14-05-2015, 17:35   #28
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:

Well done Canibul. You set off a wave of responses, both ways!

We certainly agree with the practical aspects of cushions already noted...lumbar support, spare linen storage, soft comfort for hard bones against hard surfaces, etc. The Captain adds, however, that there is a very real, practical benefit to keeping the Admiral happy!

Here are a couple images that may assist the OP, taken last night as we relaxed after arriving into port (on our way to our next 'boatique' exhibition!) after a 100nm sail.

Name:	Gold Coast 2015.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	102126

Name:	Gold Coast May 2015.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	102127

We include the flameless candles as well as the cushions. The practical sides of flameless candles include saving house batteries -- 2 x AA batteries last a very, very long time serving the 3 x flickering LED's -- and they are excellent for night sailing, providing soft light that doesn't impair watch-keeping. Flameless candles are totally safe and smoke/smudge-free, of course, and the flameless versions are much more economical than conventional candles.

All that, plus a warm, attractive look...and the wonderful 'side effects' of a happy Admiral!!!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 17:53   #29

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

given a lot of thought to boat interiors over the years - I've come to a few conclusions that others may find useful;
Most photos of interiors dont show the hours of work put into removing almost everything useful from the area being photographed in order to get that clean elegant look - boats, even big boats, tend to be busy spaces stuff-wise, just a fact of life.
Most common colour schemes are a combination of woodgrain, white and one colour, most often blue or cream, for the furnishings. More than this and it starts to look like a floating brothel.
Generally, the layout and design of a sailboat interior follows a quite restricted formula - but its a tried and tested formula based on the need to compromise between a comfortable living space and a tough seaworthy vessel - I've found over the years that if you step too far outside the formula, one or other aspect of the boat is compromised.
I think the best approach given the easy availability nowadays of huge amounts of photographic material, is to look at as much as you can and see how it applies to the boat you are considering. Try to remember that unless you are considering a dutch barge, boats are not a particularly stable platform.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 02:30   #30

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
given a lot of thought to boat interiors over the years - I've come to a few conclusions that others may find useful;
Most photos of interiors dont show the hours of work put into removing almost everything useful from the area being photographed in order to get that clean elegant look - boats, even big boats, tend to be busy spaces stuff-wise, just a fact of life.
Most common colour schemes are a combination of woodgrain, white and one colour, most often blue or cream, for the furnishings. More than this and it starts to look like a floating brothel.
Generally, the layout and design of a sailboat interior follows a quite restricted formula - but its a tried and tested formula based on the need to compromise between a comfortable living space and a tough seaworthy vessel - I've found over the years that if you step too far outside the formula, one or other aspect of the boat is compromised.
I think the best approach given the easy availability nowadays of huge amounts of photographic material, is to look at as much as you can and see how it applies to the boat you are considering. Try to remember that unless you are considering a dutch barge, boats are not a particularly stable platform.
Are you saying a vessel isn't seaworthy if your cushions stray from colors other than blue or cream? I don't think the colors of cushions or wood after the "formula" of sailboats. It's only restricted by the designers choice of interior design to fit a certain price point, customer demographic, and styles during the time it was built.

If you have a bunch of stuff that is all about in your boat that can be seen in a photo then it's not secured. I once saw someone say that if you can't leave to go sail within a reasonable amount time because of too much clutter, that shows the condition of sea worthiness.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior