Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 13:29   #16

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
I heart Excel

Mark,

Take a look at the attached excel sheet. I made a tab for Jan and Feb and the whole year. All you have to do is enter your spending amount in the correct tab (what day and category it is), and it will total it for you automatically by date and category. it will also give you the running (accumulated) total.

I made Jan and Feb views different so you can see which one you like better. and then the total yearly tab updates automatically also.

i use excel all day (im an accountant counting the days till cruising) so this only took a few minutes. also cuz i used OzMikes file to get started. let let me know if this works for you and ill make ya the whole year! trust me, i can do it alot faster than you (and i enjoy it ~snort snort~) i already have tons for my own finances
Attached Files
File Type: xls Daily Cruising Costs.xls (32.5 KB, 194 views)
Old 21-12-2009, 16:13   #17

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
Mark,

Take a look at the attached excel sheet. I made a tab for Jan and Feb and the whole year. All you have to do is enter your spending amount in the correct tab (what day and category it is), and it will total it for you automatically by date and category. it will also give you the running (accumulated) total.

I made Jan and Feb views different so you can see which one you like better. and then the total yearly tab updates automatically also.

i use excel all day (im an accountant counting the days till cruising) so this only took a few minutes. also cuz i used OzMikes file to get started. let let me know if this works for you and ill make ya the whole year! trust me, i can do it alot faster than you (and i enjoy it ~snort snort~) i already have tons for my own finances
Very Nice.
January looks more compact and printable.

Best Regards,
Mark Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:07   #18

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Expence Tracking

All of this sounds like a lot of work. What I did was create an Excel sheet that I use to track my ATM withdrawals by month and year. I simply add the cash on hand at the first of the month and subtract it at the end of the month. I did add a column for major expences but basically this tracks how much money we dispose of, not necessarily for what though.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:25   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hi Mark,

I have been doing this simple Excel spreadsheet on super yachts for years because everyone could understand and use it for their individual departments, even if they had never touched a computer before.

Or Stargazer I use the same for us (just simpler) Payment Codes but still with the ability to make payments in any currency to show me a running balance based on a monthly budget allowance.

I have made one up for Sea Life and it is really easy to use

Just enter your monthly guestimate Budget (In A$) on the first (this is put in as a minus number that automatically goes in the Credit Column)… That way all your payments do not need a minus.

Then just enter all your costs in whatever currency you are using and plug in the actual exchange rate you got as I show for Thai Baht or Malaysian, in column “G”

You do not type past column H as the rest are formulas.

If you accidentally type in the formula columns…no worries just select and “fill-down” those formula columns I,J,K to clean it up.

Column L is how I track any credit card or wire transfer payments.

Once you get used to it….very easy and once the entries are put in, learn how to use “DATA” and “sort” in the menus to organize by your payment codes or dates… whatever you like.

Hope this helps and seasons best!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Sea Life Expenses.xls (60.0 KB, 162 views)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 03:27   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Wow! I'll have to have a close look at Pelagics one (my mind is simple) that actually calculates the exchange of different currencies. Wow! LOl Sensational.

Let me have a day or 3 with these new ones from p and Bright eyes and work out how they all work!

This is sensational!

Thanks everyone

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote