Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2008, 06:24   #1

Boat: East Orient 32
How much for shared expenses - Poll

Some of us take crew on board to help during a passage or just to share our love of sailing, cruising and the ocean.

On the other hand, I often encourage people who want to learn to sail or experience the lifestyle before committing to buying a boat themselves to join cruisers that are already out there.

What do you consider is a reasonable amount to expect to contribute for shared expenses voyage?
Old 01-12-2008, 14:17   #2

I am one of those trying to gain experience, particularly offshore, before purchasing my own boat. I consider sharing expenses to be exactly that. That is, the cost of food, fuel, entry fees, dock fees, etc. The expenses incurred as a part of cruising on a per capita basis. However, one could make a good case to say it is the cost of food and drinks on board only since the Captain is going wherever anyway.
Old 01-12-2008, 14:29   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I believe that CG regs actually define this. Anything other than an equal division of operating expenses (the owner does not get to count his capital investment) is by definition a charter requiring a license. Of course an owner may have guests on board and not charge them anything. I don't actually know anyone who has been challenged on this, but you can be sure that if anything happens that requires the authorities, an insurance company, or a lawyer to be involved, things could get ugly.
Old 01-12-2008, 14:32   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
I pretty much just take the cost of food and divide it by the number of people. I am doing a trip shortly where I will ask the people to pitch in for any Marina costs as well. I usually pay for berthing, fuel and other charges but this is going to be a sail around San Diego bay and I have a berth there so if people want to stay in a Marina then they can help pay the cost. When you divide the cost of a Marina by 4 it isn't too bad. Especially when you have a job.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-12-2008, 00:02   #5

It seems to me, this would be a fairly negotiable figure. When people are standing in line to crew on a boat voyage through the Bahamas, then they might be expected to pay for every last item of operation costs including dock fees, entry fees and even pro-rated insurance. However, when a skipper is the one in need because of a tight schedule, an undesirable passage or special skill requirements, he/she might have to come up with the total food costs and maybe a little cash for that certain crew member. Another words, whatever the market will bare.
Old 02-12-2008, 13:58   #6

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I would pay a proportion of the maintenance costs as well as the immediate costs if I had the cash. If I didn't have the cash, I would at least pay for the food and try to do much of the **** work on the boat as well as the maintenance to help pay my way.
Old 02-12-2008, 15:35   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I think this really will vary depending on the circumstances.

Taking on experienced crew because I need the help managing the boat while passagemaking is very different from having inexperienced friends join me on a sailing vacation on a boat I have in charter management while teaching them all I'd be teaching in an ASA sailing course.

I think what is always crossing the line is trying to make a profit off of crew, but I think anything less, is very dependant on the circumstances.