Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 14:28   #31

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Re: 7 years of cost data

I don't want to sound derogative.... but, well, I was also a financial analyst in corporate banking... my Q is:

How did your accounting actually CHANGE (IF ANY...) your expense planning!?

My reasoning is... quite a little! Reason is... individual expenses are small... many items are simple necessities....must-do...

and at Times we have (big) EXTRAORDINARY items we can't escape from....hauling, ripped sails, faulted engines, New Genny...thundered electronics...new blocks (1200eur for genoa
Rails...)

Indeed, what you DO NOT ACCOUNT FOR ARE THE VERY EXPENSES that YOU HAD TO GIVE UP (WITHOUT WRITING THEM DOWN, obviously so)... e.g.
Renting a car one more time
Swapping for another outboard
Planning some hotel stay
Giving up a ***Michelin restaurant
That jewel your spouse was looking at
A long trip inshore..

This list would be a measure for 'planning' i.e. phasing out important/yet unnecessary expenses
Absit iniuria verbis (no intention to offend :-) )
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:30   #32

@Symphony :-)

Real life in Italia...

600Ah AGMs
45m (140') 8mm spectra, 10eur/m
Ship is 54' LOA

I think Spinlock blocks cost the same .... I have some 16 on deck, 14 winches, ...etc.
Old 17-04-2016, 14:42   #33

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I don't want to sound derogative.... but, well, I was also a financial analyst in corporate banking... my Q is:

How did your accounting actually CHANGE (IF ANY...) your expense planning!?

My reasoning is... quite a little! Reason is... individual expenses are small... many items are simple necessities....must-do...

and at Times we have (big) EXTRAORDINARY items we can't escape from....hauling, ripped sails, faulted engines, New Genny...thundered electronics...new blocks (1200eur for genoa
Rails...)

Indeed, what you DO NOT ACCOUNT FOR ARE THE VERY EXPENSES that YOU HAD TO GIVE UP (WITHOUT WRITING THEM DOWN, obviously so)... e.g.
Renting a car one more time
Swapping for another outboard
Planning some hotel stay
Giving up a ***Michelin restaurant
That jewel your spouse was looking at

This list would be a measure for 'planning' i.e. phasing out important/yet unnecessary expenses
And iniuria verbis (no intention to offend :-) )
dont want to sound too smart, but your ex occupation does not give you any credibility. There is no "too big to fail" and be rescued on taxpayer expense in life of non-privileged people by birth.

Example of this real life expenditure, gives me valid data point I will budget my expenses on.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:54   #34

Budgeting is about allotting resources over time, in order to
1.prioritize expenses
2.phase them in time
3. Avoid negative cumulative cash-flow
4.maximize ROA/ROI or overall life pleasure

This way, you exclude least profitable opportunities, ideally.
But in real life it is not about investments, but desirable expenses. Easy job, give the limit of available cash/credit.

Point is, in cruising extraordinary/unexpected items eat up the most of resources

And current/ordinary items are quite personal.

I had 2 new tooth implants in 3 years, 2000each... how can you/l f... account for this!? And my spirits' expenses are not those of anyone else here...

Any % breakdown, as a result, is personal and pointless :-)

Happy winds to all, they are free
Old 17-04-2016, 15:04   #35

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Budgeting is about allotting resources over time, in order to
1.prioritize expenses
2.phase them in time
3. Avoid negative cumulative cash-flow
4.maximize ROA/ROI or overall life pleasure

Point is, in cruising extraordinary/unexpected items eat up the most of resources

And current/ordinary items are quite personal.

I had 2 new tooth implants in 3 years, 2000each... how can you/l f... account for this!? And my spirits' expenses are not those of anyone else here...

Any % breakdown, as a result, is personal and pointless :-)

Happy winds to all, they are free
you incorrectly assume that money can buy pleasure. Same as many that turned rich and now hoping their massive sacrifices were worth it. Unfortunately, it can buy some and only up to medium quality if they are lucky. These people tend to turn sour soon after.

in my books money that is required you can sail away free is important and this is what you have to watch for - not to cross line where you have to get back to lesser life.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:45   #36

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You need to read it more. It is excellent for planning.

The only people who shouldn't do any planning are rich a-holes and kids that are just going back to work as the plan.
Some of us are still working at the ripe age of 69 so we can sail and not touch the kitty
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:12   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you don't touch the kitty, what's it for?

I like seeing how much others have spent, but as has been said, maybe just as interesting would be to know if planned activities and or destinations and leave dates were changed for financial reasons, you know, did it seem like it was plenty, or were you watching your pennies?

Interestingly I see very few costs posted that exceed 4 K a month, and I can see how you could get there or higher easily, boat and crew of course have a lot to do with that.

Perhaps just as interesting would be to hear what the pay was when working and living on land was?

I think we will be OK, assuming what we read here is close to correct, it will be a large pay cut though, but I assume a large amount of expenses will go away too.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:36   #38

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
every penny spent is here be it flights home, a cup of coffee, a pen, taking relatives out to eat or buy them food when we are in the USA. Nothing was skipped - nothing.
Excellent work Chuck. Many thanks.

By the way.... I was digging in there to try to figure out how much you got stung for that "Tunisian carpet for the cabin sole." Those guys don't back off easily, do they?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:43   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you don't touch the kitty, what's it for?
Exactly

I stop working in 1.5 months at 56. People who are 10 years older with at least twice my kitty have been asking me how it is possible and I tell them you have to be willing to spend the kitty.
Old 17-04-2016, 16:50   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The value of this is 'indicative only'.

If there were more cruisers like Chuck documenting annual costs and economists then factored in parameters like boat value, sea miles, marina days, local cost index......one could interpolate more useful knowledge..... but at the end Chuck provides us with a useful guesstimate.... and like the weather.... best that you learn to become your own forecaster.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:00   #41

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The value of this is 'indicative only'.

If there were more cruisers like Chuck documenting annual costs and economists then factored in parameters like boat value, sea miles, marina days, local cost index......one could interpolate more useful knowledge..... but at the end Chuck provides us with a useful guesstimate.... and like the weather.... best that you learn to become your own forecaster.
Well said
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:19   #42
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler;
I was digging in there to try to figure how much you got stung for that "Tunisian carpet for the cabin sole." Those guys don't back off easily, do they?
Are you talking about my Egyptian SILK hall runner? 6 ft long goes right through the saloon?
The one hand weaved by village virgins (read child slave labour), the same village the vendors brother came from (but no one else from the family).

I will have you know whilst negotiating I scored a FREE cup of apple tea! I should have deducted that on the spreadsheet!

Seriously guys, a spreadsheet like this is gold. V few cruisers keep one and its the only one you will get unless you make your own - which you won't.

So for those denigrating it, I can safely say you are wrong till you prove yourself right. Go cruising then send us your spreadsheet.

I would post mine but its full of carpets, beer and hookers...

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 18:09   #43
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21
Talking Re: 7 years of cost data

Quote:
@Symphony :-)

Real life in Italia...

600Ah AGMs
45m (140') 8mm spectra, 10eur/m
Ship is 54' LOA

I think Spinlock blocks cost the same .... I have some 16 on deck, 14 winches, ...etc.
@ Thunderbird - wow. I won't complain about prices in Connecticut, or the sales tax. Italy really is il bel paese.... still, I can't wait to get there and join you (hopefully with my spares from the US)
Old 17-04-2016, 18:30   #44
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

a Prussian general wrote in a military science text: "No battle plan survives even the first contact with the enemy." the same for a budget encountering life.

But when you have a budget, or benchmarks, or a float plan, you can manage better. You'll know when you are heading into trouble, or just feeling stress about money, you'll know where you room to maneuver or where it is time to be tight.

Having actual data from others is useful because it may help you to realize how surprisingly cheap/ expensive things are. We won't be able to live to someone else's budget or cruise plan, but we might learn something surprising.
Old 17-04-2016, 22:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I would post mine but its full of carpets, beer and hookers...
For the solo cruisers, perhaps you should create a "beer & hookers on less than $xxx per month" thread. Could be very useful for some people to plan their cruising