Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 19:34   #16

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
I have successfully price-matched (though occasionally had the online number offset with a shipping allowance, which is certainly fair since it is effectively part of the cost of shopping online), but lately WM pricing has begun to appear a bit insane. Coupled with a real reluctance to be helpful (at least at the store most local to me, though of course that's by no means universal), I now consider it a resource of last resort. A shame, really - I used to love to go in there, and the stores in the SF Bay Area were actually fun places to hang out. I particularly liked the good-natured tradition (Oakland, was it?) of ringing a brass bell and applauding whenever someone got out the door for less than $100.

-Steve
Old 06-05-2008, 19:54   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Don't get me wrong I love the people at WM stores, Pam Wall at Ft. Lauderdale is a Hoot and always plugged into 120V and will go way out of her way to get you any information you need. The guys in the electromics area were the only ones who could figure out a NEMA connection for me. I love that I can sit and chat for a few minutes with many people there that know sailing without some self inflated pimply kid manager telling them to get back to work. I even find a good deal now and then at their sidewalks sales. Heck I bought three big honkin 3/4 ronstan snatch blocks for $40 each at a sidewalk sale, what I need them for is beyond me but they were a hell of a price. But anyone who thinks WM regular prices are even fair, well I got some majic beans here I could sell you for a fair price.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:04   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If you want I'll look for it tommorow when I'm there.
Of course! Thanks.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:39   #19

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Hate to be that fly in the soup. But I just bought a brand new Mercury outboard for the dingy at Outdoor World in Ft. Lauderdale. I asked WM in Ft.Lauderdale, Hallendale and North Miami to match the price. To be fair the WM store associates were nice but they all had to check with the powers that be before they matched that much. All three sent me packin. I was hoping for those WM credits that do add up.

Last year I purchased a Mercury 9.9 4-stroke outboard from West Marine for our dinghy after they price-matched Defender. So yes - they've honored it for big-ticket items - after checking with the "powers that be".
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 22:56   #20

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Here is one example how much profit they make. At Seattle boat show i bought a wire strippers , a package of three for only $20 bucks . Than At WM in St Pete there were the same wire strippers for $40 a pair Here in Canada, Kelowna Bc at Princess Auto the same strippers were $1 (one dollar)
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 23:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love the people at WM stores, Pam Wall at Ft. Lauderdale is a Hoot and always plugged into 120V and will go way out of her way to get you any information you need...
Pam Wall is one of the jewels, as is her husband Andy, a self-employed rigger.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:47   #22
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Pam Wall is one of the jewels, as is her husband Andy, a self-employed rigger.
Yup, they are good people and long time friends of ours.

Andy just got back from an Atlantic crossing on his 39' sloop, that would be his 6th crossing, plus their 'round the world trip with the kids.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:11   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrezz
Tellie .... what can I tell ya? there must have been more to the issue than meets the eye. As far as I know .... and has been my experience so far (only 2 1/2 weeks) ... WM will match any legitimate price on an item-for-item basis.

Ok in the sense of fairness, challenge and fun. Tommorow I just happen to be in the area. I'll stop into Outdoor World and get a price just to be current on a small Mercury outboard. I'll take that price to the mighty Flagship store off of Federal and 84. If they match the price you'll get my apologies for disparaging WM. But if they refuse, you get me the point value at WM that I spent at Outdoor World.

Ok, I can rightly be called many unflattering things, but I can man up and admit when I'm wrong. Harry, I did as I said I would and went by Outdoor World and WM today. I checked my WM catalog this morning before I left and priced a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke model 5326871 and it shows a current price of $2,199 When I first went to Outdoor World and saw their price on a 9.9 I thought for sure I had you. Then I went to WM and talked to two girls behind the customer service counter. I asked them to match ODW price, they got on the phone to the powers that be and ten minutes later they said no problem. Now here's the good part for anyone interested in a new 9.9 Merc ODW sells the same one for $1,715. I said are you sure? They said we have two in stock you want them both? Man that's a $500 price reduction match. And they said you will also get the WM credits where ODW won't credit your account points for any boat or motor sales. So Here's my official hat in hand apology to WM
"I'm sorry"
Just for general info WM will also sell their 4hp Merc for $150 less the asking price and the 6hp Merc for $200 less the listed price. So hurra for WM for changing their policy right after I bought mine (sour grapes) and they might be getting more of my larger business soon.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

MV I found the reciepts and the company I bought the Blue Sea stuff from. It's WMJ Marine in Carlsbad Ca. I bought their BLUE SEA PANEL 12/24V MAIN + 22 POS+M 3380, BLACK BREAKER for just under $400 but unfortunatly their prices on that panel have changed. You may have already seen their site in your search. But make WM match the best price you find. LOL.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

MV just for clarity you said you were looking for a 16/6
Is that a 16 circuit 6 volt or a 12volt 6 circuit panel? Here's a better link to their panels
DC Panels
Old 07-05-2008, 13:45   #26

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
WM in the Carib

Capt Harry

There is a WM in Carib or are you still in NY?
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 15:21   #27

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
We've made them price match multiple times.... we saved several hundred on a nice EPIRB... we check multiple sources and then either go to West (if one is near) or call the 1-800 and ask them to match... they have 100% of the time plus the West Dollars are nice (just got 110 in the mail last mail delivery)
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:55   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
LOL You clowns are lucky!

Wherever the hell I am the mob Budget Marine in St Maarten will not even match their OWN catalogue prices!!!!!

We went in there today to get a courtesy flag of some run down 'country' we want to see and their newest Catalogue at the front door said the flag was $8. But on the shelf it was $11.
So I asked and was told firmly No! You pay the shelf price!
The only thing budget about Budget Marine is their attitude.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 19:52   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
...apparently, their service as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:13   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
MV just for clarity you said you were looking for a 16/6
Is that a 16 circuit 6 volt or a 12volt 6 circuit panel? Here's a better link to their panels
DC Panels
That will do her. Thanks!

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote