Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 12:47   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman
Re: Anyone using Rainman water maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
My only major modification was the addition of a filter manifold on the inlet side to give two saltwater filters ( 20 and 5 micron) instead of Rainman's single 5 micron as well as a carbon filter for a freshwater flush using water from our tank.
Thanks for the kind words tuskie,

For anyone else that might be interested in multiple pre-filters, we have been making a few systems with modification for customers asking about this. Our normal single pre-filter design means you change one filter twice as often, as opposed to a traditional double pre-filter design where you change two filters half as often. For people installing the pressure supply module in out of the way places, we can add the second pre-filter to look like this.

Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 13:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangurBan View Post
Are they available yet in Europe. How much do they cost?
PangurBan, The dealership network in Europe is still developing, but the website has a current list of European dealers.

Depending on configuration, 2015 pricing ranges from €3,700 to €5,600 (ex-VAT, ex-shipping). If there is not a dealer in your area, please PM me or use the website contact page.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:48   #18

We're definitely in the market for a unit like this. Our present plans are to head out on an extended Caribbean cruise sometime next spring, and we'd like to be water independent. Since there's no advantage in buying a unit now and just have it sit for six to eight months (we're currently in a marina with ample water available) I'm curious whether there are any plans by the company to exhibit at next February's Simply Sail Miami? Maybe with some good boat show pricing?
robertsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsapp View Post
I'm curious whether there are any plans by the company to exhibit at next February's Simply Sail Miami?
Thanks for your interest in Rainman. We are definitely planning to be at Fort Lauderdale show in November. Stop by and see us. We are also expecting to be at the Simply Sail Miami show in February, either ourselves or with one of our dealers.
Old 07-09-2015, 15:13   #20

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

We have been using one of the electric 140 ltr units for about four months now and have found it faultless and making good water at stated quantity.
I also intend to fit ours semi permanently but have not got around to it yet.
Good and accessible people to deal with too.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:46   #21

Thinking of getting one of these (Electric version).
Any Rainman owners care to give an update on their experiences?
Thanks in advance.
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 18:19   #22

I have been using a rainman electric water maker now for over 12 months and am very happy with the ease of use and output. I think they are very good value.
mikeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 13:24   #23

There have been a few more blogs and reviews pop up recently. You can find several posted at our website.
Old 26-11-2016, 21:59   #24

Hi All
We have been using a petrol one since we left Brisbane 18 months ago continuously, we have sailed thru indo up Malaysia to Thailand back down Malaysia over Sabah and we are on our way home to NZ over PNG, we love the unit as 2 adults and 2 kids ( now teenagers ) on a 34 foot can use a lot of water after swimming, we make about 300 ltrs once a week so we have never pickled it. It is easy to use and makes about 150 ltr/hr probably due to water temp.
We have done a few rally's Indonesia 2015, Malaysia Langkawi 2015, Malaysia Tawau 2016, Indonesia sail east 2016 and have even taken it on other peoples boats to fill tanks, for a bottle :-)
The only issue we had and quickly resolved by the company, was a bearing failer on the jabsco pre pump, I believe this is due to the high pressure pump loads transferring over the pre pump. the lift pump should be installed as a tensioner or idler not on the load side of the pump. but like I said the guys were great and sent us a new pump foc to Malaysia with extras, very helpful.
recommend one to everyone.
JCNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 02:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNZ View Post
The only issue we had and quickly resolved by the company, was a bearing failer on the jabsco pre pump, I believe this is due to the high pressure pump loads transferring over the pre pump. the lift pump should be installed as a tensioner or idler not on the load side of the pump. but like I said the guys were great and sent us a new pump foc to Malaysia with extras, very helpful.
recommend one to everyone.
Thanks for posting.

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean that the pre pump should be installed not on the load side?
Is this pre pump, a separate additional pump, or one installed within the Rainman unit?
Thanks
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:20   #26

yes there is a seperate lift pump to provide the high pressure pump positive pressure. and to get the raw water up to unit height.
This is mounted on the load side of the belt.
Please remember, I have had 1 bearing fail in about 150 hrs running, touch wood. which is 22500 ltrs of water, also when tested we get 150 parts per million, a mate on another boat spent over 20 k installing his unit has had huge amounts of trouble, and it only makes around 40 ltr/ hr, and his ppm is 350.
when at anchor he used the Rainman due to power hungry and slow unit on his boat.
I also brought new bearings for my pre pump in a back street of Malaysia somewhere for $3 each and rebuilt it as to have spare.
sweet as.
Note that we sailed the pacific with a 5 ltr/ hr unit at 5 amps, I hated it and vowed that next time 1 buy one I will make as much water as I can as quick as 1 can.
Old 27-11-2016, 16:14   #27

Just to clarify, all our models have 2 pumps built in. One is a Jabsco low pressure pump that lifts the water and supplies low pressure to the high pressure pump. The high pressure pump then supplies 800 psi to the membrane unit. In our petrol model, both pumps are driven by the same belt. JCNZ's petrol machine is the only case we've had of the bearings failing in the Jabsco, and it may have been a Jabsco manufacturing fault or it could have been that the belt tension was set too high in our factory. Either way, we have redesigned the belt drive since then and all machines shipped since March 2016 have had the improved design. The new belt is a much shorter double sided belt with much lower tension and as JCNZ suggests, the pulley on the jabsco lift pump is now operating as a spring loaded belt tensioner. This means the belt tension is set for the lifetime of the machine. In the new design, we also revised the gear ratio so we can run the Honda motor slightly lower, saving fuel and reducing sound levels.
Old 27-11-2016, 17:55   #28

Thanks Rainman for a awesome watermaker and for a great reply on the new design, As a engineer I love OEM,s that keep perfecting a concept.
Old 28-11-2016, 04:32   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

(belated) Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JCNZ.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:02   #30

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I just got thru looking at the ad and i too am interested especially the portable one...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water