Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 09:01   #106

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1
Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

I think you're "experienced" once you felt you were going to Davy Jones's locker from the bad weather you experienced.... when you finally dock with those feral eyes that make you look like you were raised by wolves from the "experience"... THEN you know what a Blue Water boat should look like...what kind of weather to sail into...and what kind of boat you want. That's also when you put in the extra bilge pump and 3 way seacock on your intake hose to the engine, etc. etc.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:08   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hartjoy been at around 48s with much turbulence, now headed 44 s.... donna headed to panama not horn..... she is in pacific, be is south of ozstraya and fun to read. often scary.
seems the storms have been lotsa fun. i do not know make of donnas sloop, but jeff is sailing a baba 40. not yetKNOCK WOOD knocked down. still has most of working parts of boat intact, with slight headache, having been thrown across cabin.
donna has broken boom 2 knockdowns and no engine due to knockdowns.
each skipper is excellent and has done this before. both second timers, both via all capes.
yeah.
i know him. he nutz.
i do not know her.
so.... what makes blue water cruiser?

depends on the sailor.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:07   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Me? No! Only an idiot sails in a place/time when you can get a 3 day gale!

My whole voyaging analysis is to sail in the correct season when you do not get 3 day gales.

Its totally unnecessary to sail at the wrong time and virtually every death at sea in the last few years that I remember is from sailing at the wrong time.
Stupidity kills.

Mark
I guess I have to disagree with your comments otherwise I have to accept that I'm a stupid idiot..which may not be that far from reality, lol. There is no question that if you stick to the easy peasy sailing routes you will have pretty easy sailing but there is lots more to life than always doing things that are easy peasy. Most people that sail around the world do so with pretty mild weather but when you sail in the higher latitudes you can expect to run into gales during the best sailing seasons. It's not a big deal if you have a decent boat and reasonable sailing experience.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:33   #109
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Whats the Difference Between A Coastal and Blue Water Suitable Vessel

Quote:
Sailed in the WRONG SEASON!

(I take it you are referring to Cheeky Refeaky?)

If they sailed the right season they wouldn't have had the bad weather that snapped off the previously half broken keel.
Sailed the wrong route.. if he'd stopped at the Azores then jumped to the Continent they'd likely have made it.. as it was he took an unknown (technically) boat in a wide loop that begged for trouble.. and odds on they were pushing her hard for bragging rights.
There's routes for crossing in all seasons.. just have to pick the right one.. and be lucky..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:34   #110

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Me? No! Only an idiot sails in a place/time when you can get a 3 day gale!

My whole voyaging analysis is to sail in the correct season when you do not get 3 day gales.

Its totally unnecessary to sail at the wrong time and virtually every death at sea in the last few years that I remember is from sailing at the wrong time.
Stupidity kills.
Mark
Are you serious? on the circumnavigation never got a 3 days gale? I mean not a storm a gale. On Beaufort scale you have moderate gale and fresh gale, moderate gale is just 28 to 33K winds and 4 to 5.5m waves, even a fresh gale is just 34 to 40K winds with waves from 5.5 to 7.5m waves.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:22   #111
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Are you serious? on the circumnavigation never got a 3 days gale? I mean not a storm a gale.
You hear that Mark, you are wrong. You better recheck your logs from your circumnavigation. Maybe the air in your Benetoy effected your memory.
Old 21-02-2016, 12:32   #112

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Are you serious? on the circumnavigation never got a 3 days gale? I mean not a storm a gale. On Beaufort scale you have moderate gale and fresh gale, moderate gale is just 28 to 33K winds and 4 to 5.5m waves, even a fresh gale is just 34 to 40K winds with waves from 5.5 to 7.5m waves.
I was thinking the same thing. Must be an interpretation thingy
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:33   #113
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

A) a gale is 35 knots
B) much higher than 20n to 20s
C) Yes you can do it in the PNW or Tasmania. And around Capebof Good Hope. The Horn is a little more tricky and I wouldn't do it.

So instead of just poo-pooing my way just think is there a time in any area that does not have 3 day gales? YES.

So work it.

If there ain't no safe time I don't go there

Re Cheeky: As you know, Phil, I advocate going later and further south of the Azores. Mind you I haven't tested it. Yet

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:35   #114
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:

Gale Warning:
A warning of 1-minute sustained surface winds in the range 34 kt (39 mph or 63 km/hr) to 47 kt (54 mph or 87 km/hr) inclusive, either predicted or occurring and not directly associated with tropical cyclones.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml
Old 21-02-2016, 12:37   #115

Quote:
A) a gale is 35 knots
B) much higher than 20n to 20s
C) Yes you can do it in the PNW or Tasmania. And around Capebof Good Hope. The Horn is a little more tricky and I wouldn't do it.

So instead of just poo-pooing my way just think is there a time in any area that does not have 3 day gales? YES.

So work it.

If there ain't no safe time I don't go there

Re Cheeky: As you know, Phil, I advocate going later and further south of the Azores. Mind you I haven't tested it. Yet

Mark
In Australia Mark, a 'gale' is 37-47 knotts.

Yes, you can do it coastal cruising. but even coastal cruising you should be prepared for it.
Old 21-02-2016, 12:38   #116

Quote:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutgloss.shtml
There you go, you corrected yourself
Old 21-02-2016, 12:41   #117
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

Yes, you can do it coastal cruising. but even coastal cruising you should be prepared for it.
No, no. No!

No cruising in an f'ing gale.

And whats the bs about correcting myself?

Mark
Old 21-02-2016, 12:57   #118

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/about/w...services.shtml

Sorry rc down here it's still 34-47 knots sustained for 10 minutes and measured at 10 metres height. They say that gusts can be 40% more, so technically in a strong Gale you could well see gusts of 65 knots.
Old 21-02-2016, 13:02   #119

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You hear that Mark, you are wrong. You better recheck your logs from your circumnavigation. Maybe the air in your Benetoy effected your memory.
I don't have a Beneteau, I don't want to make a circumnavigation, I have friends that had got several day's gales while crossing Oceans on the right season.

Maybe Mark is just a very lucky guy.

Regarding what one calls a gale I believe we all follow the original Beaufort scale even if the denominations change a bit, a gale is not a storm and then you have a violent storm and finally a hurricane. Winds on the Beaufort scale does not refer to gusts but to sustained winds.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 13:46   #120
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
I don't have a Beneteau, I don't want to make a circumnavigation, I have friends that had got several day's gales while crossing Oceans on the right season.

Maybe Mark is just a very lucky guy.

Regarding what one calls a gale I believe we all follow the original Beaufort scale.
Origin of "gale" is "wind" so you don't get any help with the oldest Beaufort scale as a "gentle gale" was Force 3!

If your friends had 34+ knots for 2 + days sailing in the correct season they were very, very unlucky.
My premis is its extremely unlikely to get a full 2 days (48 hours) or 3 days (72 hours) of 34+ knots in any regions best time of the year. Extremely! That's not to say I haven't been in strong winds but not very strong for a very long time.
Nor can I remember any fatalities in the 'right' season in long off shore cruising. If you know of any link me to the report.

In the 'right' season I doubt someone would get hot with 34+ knots for more than 8 hours. Maybe 12 hours. Maybe 24 hours off Cape Hatteras or Bass Strait, but not 48 hours or 72 hours 34+ knots.

But that's not to say it can't happen, or doesn't happen in the high latitudes... but not often and in extreme locales like Cape Aghulas, the prudent sailor pulls down a Grib chart before crossing the current.

We are not delivery captains, but cruising sailors. Do the passage at the best time of the year and chances are you will never, ever see 34+ knots for a full 2, 3 or more days

Mark

Tags
enc, water