Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 10:30   #1
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
USCG required safety equipment for 32' sailboat

Looking for a list online of what the USCG requires..
I have tried a google search but can't find what I need.
Thanks for any help
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Here is the link that gets you everything there is:

Boating Safety Regulations

This covers not just required gear but the rest of the rules of the road as well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 11:02   #3
GWB

Thanks for the link Paul. I'm hoping this can be narrowed down to a list of safety equipment.......
Old 16-09-2008, 11:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The list is actually pretty short as far as safety equipment requirements. Though it's easy to argue that everything in the list is for safety. It's just not all about dedicated gear. It covers how things have to be in many cases. They often represent the most dangerous things. Especially with gasoline engines. Blowing up is likely to cause death.

Of the required door prizes these come to mind:

USCG Flare kit (not expired)
Sound making device (you are too short to require a bell)
PFD's at 1 per person aboard
One throwable float for someone in the water
2 small fire extinguishers for a boat your size

The posted palcards are not really safety. The nav lights I don't see as a safety equpiment more of a requirement of configuration. You wou;dn't want to run at night without them in any situation. There are others related to regualtions on propane storage and oil containment and some of the rest of things that are considered not for "required equipment". Personally, I think the list of required safety equipment is pretty minimal.

In terms of what you really need I think you could start with all those but you need a lot more if you expect to be out for more than a day trip. Proper operation includes things that cross over into being safe as well. If you are thinking in terms of safety you have to look at almost anything on the boat in terms of if it operates properly or presents any issues that might encourage injury. Of the required items I have it doubled or better as far as the number of things. I find 4 extinguishers works well for the layout so that both day and night situations have them within reach almost evrywhere.

You can also get a USCG Auxiliary safety inspection free and they can even help you figure out what deficiencies you have as well as ways to remedy them. A USCG Aux. member at the end of the street here does all the boats in our marina each year. It is amazing that going over them all usually kicks up a few items or issues evry year.

You can also find a list from your state as well as the USCG list.
Old 16-09-2008, 11:42   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary and they will not only provide you with a list of equipment but do a free courtesy inspection, if you have a boat, you did not say.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 12:04   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Worst Marine has one in their stores.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 05:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Take this on-;ine test. It's fun, interactive and each question has a link to teh requirements.

Vessel Safety Check

This page has each section and what is required.

Equipment Requirements

I haven't found a downloadable (pdf) copy of the rules but I think I also picked one up free at West Marine during one of my $1,000 shopping sprees (not so free, eh...)

Edit - I lied - Here is a cool Quick Reference Chart...

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fe...u_refchart.htm

*Anyone remember the documentation thread where we argued if the documents had to be "originals."

Quote -
"Applies only to "Documented" vessels: (a) Original and current certificate must be on board"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 06:06   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
*Anyone remember the documentation thread where we argued if the documents had to be "originals."
You won't get a warm welcome with state registered vessels without one but they usually require a sticker in addition to the numbers so you don't have a huge problem with having to show the paper copy too. If the state does not have a sticker (some don't) then you would want the paper copy too. With documents copies may get a frown but might pass depending on who it is. USCG documents have to be originals if it's a real Coastie stopping you. Save a copy too and one at home as it might help a little if you lost the original.

Just don't forget all the same rules apply to the dinghy too. Many friends have citations for no PFD in the dinghy and they were only going ship to ship after a happy hour. Easiest place to get stopped. It's an easy one to overlook but probably the more important.
Old 18-09-2008, 06:41   #9
GWB

Thanks for all the help!
Old 18-09-2008, 08:02   #10

Wow, the bell one caught me! I have a bell, but it's apparently too small, and I know of VERY few boats over 40' that have bells, certainly ones of the required size (7.9" or larger diameter)! Am I misreading this? I've had the CG Auxiliary inspections before and it was never mentioned.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 19:40   #11

I thought it was a bell or "noise signaling device"
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 21:03   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga View Post
Am I misreading this?
Summaries and quick reference cards can always be questioned. going back to the full "official" text is sometimes necessary.

For example:

"(a) A vessel 39.4 ft must, at a minimum, have some means of making an "efficient" sound signal - (i.e. handheld air horn, athletic whistle - Human voice/ sound not acceptable)."

The way I read this from the quick reference card if you are 39.3 or 39.5 NO HORN IS REQUIRED!?!?!?

From the same QRC:

"(b) A vessel 39.4 ft (12 meters) or greater, must have a sound signaling appliance capable of producing an efficient sound signaI, audible for 1/2 mile with a 4 to 6 seconds duration. In addition, must carry on board a bell with a clapper (bell size not less than 7.9 inches - based on the diameter of the mouth)"

I read this as a bell must be on board.

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fe...u_refchart.htm
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 23:08   #13

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
At one point 39.4' (12 meter) vessels were required to have bells. I don't remember exactly when it changed (maybe 5 years ago), but the bell requirement went up to 20 meters for international, but stayed at 12 meters for inland rules.

USCG nav center, not quick ref.
Rule 32 & 33: Definitions and Equipment for Sound Signals

(a) A vessel of 12 meters or more in length shall be provided with a whistle and a bell [INLD], a vessel of 20 meters or more in length shall be provided with a bell in addition to a whistle [Intl], and a vessel of 100 meters or more in length shall, in addition be provided with a gong, the tone and sound of which cannot be confused with that of the bell. The whistle, bell and gong shall comply with the specifications in Annex III to these Regulations. The bell or gong or both may be replaced by other equipment having the same respective sound characteristics, provided that manual sounding of the prescribed signals shall always be possible.

How to read the italics and INLD, Intl
Navigation Rules Online Layout

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, safety equipment