Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 15:33   #76

Boat: Tartan 30
I smoked with no regard to others for 20 years (started real young!), then I quit 2 years ago, started jogging , got all healthy and stuff... Then about 3 months ago I picked up a little cigar habbit that spiralled downhill into the same old cigarette addiction.

As re-smoker, I'm much more consciencious about my habbits. I don't litter (usually), if I smoke around non-smokers i try to keep it out of their faces, i don't smoke indoors, etc...

However, If I occasionally offend someone with a wafting cloud, well... they can go bite the big one . I have bigger problems to deal with than worrying about every single person within eyesight of my boat, or car, or tiki bar, or whatever. If you're that incredibly sensative to something, then it's your issue... I've been on non-smokers boats who pull out an ashtray for their smoking friends... It's only the rare, overly sensative (or excessivel snotty?) people who would really complain about someone smoking 100 feet away. If you're one of those people, move. don't watch. plug your ears. Hild your nose and walk away. or just get over it...

PS: I'm quiting again Real Soon, I swear!
Old 14-09-2011, 15:37   #77
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I smoked with no regard to others for 20 years (started real young!), then I quit 2 years ago, started jogging , got all healthy and stuff... Then about 3 months ago I picked up a little cigar habbit that spiralled downhill into the same old cigarette addiction.

As re-smoker, I'm much more consciencious about my habbits. I don't litter (usually), if I smoke around non-smokers i try to keep it out of their faces, i don't smoke indoors, etc...

However, If I occasionally offend someone with a wafting cloud, well... they can go bite the big one . I have bigger problems to deal with than worrying about every single person within eyesight of my boat, or car, or tiki bar, or whatever. If you're that incredibly sensative to something, then it's your issue... I've been on non-smokers boats who pull out an ashtray for their smoking friends... It's only the rare, overly sensative (or excessivel snotty?) people who would really complain about someone smoking 100 feet away. If you're one of those people, move. don't watch. plug your ears. Hild your nose and walk away. or just get over it...

PS: I'm quiting again Real Soon, I swear!
I let people smoke cigarettes on my boat. It's not hard to have them stand downwind and to provide them something that can act as an ashtray.

Cigar smoke is much stronger stuff and far more intrusive on the nose. They smell like (what I think) flaming bags of dung (smell like). I think the stronger the smell, the more sensitive the smoker should be. My opinion. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 16:32   #78

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quit almost three years ago, it was tough, but I would like to see my daughters grow up! As an ex smoker I must say, never realized how badly I had to have stunk, cuz I sure can smell others that do.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 16:43   #79

Re: Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
After living in the same townhouse for 6 years, and while in the process of moving over the past few days, a new tenant from 2 doors down came & asked me to stop smoking in our home, because she says that it travels through the basements & goes up to her 3rd story bedroom, so she can't sleep at night. I told her that we were moving, but said that I could take it outside for the next few days & asked if she'd prefer me to smoke on the front porch or back balcony. She preferred I smoked in the back, then the woman from 3 doors down was upset because the smoke is bothering her when she sits on her back balcony, so I moved to the front & now the first complainer is raising hell & accusing me of still smoking inside, which I haven't. Finally, I became tired of her ranting and told her I thought she was a nut, then closed the door. I said to my wife, "Man, I can't Fking wait until we're in Mexico & I don't have to bother with this!" To which she replied, "But what if someone in the anchorage or marina doesn't like your smoking?" So, I thought I'd throw it out there & see what other's thought.
Just don't run your generator and I'll be happy
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 17:18   #80

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Its illegal to smoke any where in Australia thats indoors or under cover,

We smokers go outside to have a smoke, away from the non smokers,

Now these whinging boring dud non smokers are coming out side to where the fun and happy, laughing, joking and full of life smokers are and complaining about us smokers.

Get a life, go back inside into the non smoking area's where you belong, You asked for it and got it, Its your fault that you are sitting inside by your self, Its what you wanted

Stay out of the smoker zones, if your a non smoker. So Simple,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 17:53   #81

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Ok.... here goes... Go ahead, burst into flames if you like. Smoke your favorite poison and please enjoy it. I like the smell once in a while as it zephers over from a neighbor boat. $4-$8 a pack? Billow yourself into nirvana or bankrupsy if it works for you.

However... where is it written that you can flick you "Butts" into the water or onto the wakways we all travel. "You" do this like it was a god given right!
A cig butt has a half life near that of plutonium! It is a vehicle to dispence drugs and if it were a syringe floating buy there would a cry out for action.

So... smoke em if ya have em. Enjoy a timeless treat that has aqddicted Pharos and kings...."Butt"... If you toss your butts in the water you might get a magnesium flare in your cockpit from one of us who are simply pissed off with your absolute denial of the world around you.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:05   #82

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Its illegal to smoke any where in Australia thats indoors or under cover,

We smokers go outside to have a smoke, away from the non smokers,

Now these whinging boring dud non smokers are coming out side to where the fun and happy, laughing, joking and full of life smokers are and complaining about us smokers.

Get a life, go back inside into the non smoking area's where you belong, You asked for it and got it, Its your fault that you are sitting inside by your self, Its what you wanted

Stay out of the smoker zones, if your a non smoker. So Simple,
My sentiments exactly, and I never smoked in my life. I have an ashtray on board for guests who want to smoke, and I'll join people outside or inside, depending on the company I like to keep, regardless of their habits or mine.
Old 14-09-2011, 18:14   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares
Ok.... here goes... Go ahead, burst into flames if you like. Smoke your favorite poison and please enjoy it. I like the smell once in a while as it zephers over from a neighbor boat. $4-$8 a pack? Billow yourself into nirvana or bankrupsy if it works for you.

However... where is it written that you can flick you "Butts" into the water or onto the wakways we all travel. "You" do this like it was a god given right!
A cig butt has a half life near that of plutonium! It is a vehicle to dispence drugs and if it were a syringe floating buy there would a cry out for action.

So... smoke em if ya have em. Enjoy a timeless treat that has aqddicted Pharos and kings...."Butt"... If you toss your butts in the water you might get a magnesium flare in your cockpit from one of us who are simply pissed off with your absolute denial of the world around you.
And I suppose you live a plastic free existense?

I personally don't flick my butts in the water, but I know a lot who do. But, I'm also under no delusion that the plastic bottles and bags I send to the recycler are going anywhere except the dump, or the ocean... I can sit on my boat in this marina alone, and count atleast a dozen bits of plastic that have lost their way between someones boat and the truck that hauls it away into oblivion. It must be those darn poluting smokers who did it, right?

Honestly, of the people ive met in the past few months, including smokers and non-smokers, the sailors are among the most consciencious. Powerboaters are not much different than landlubbers... So complaining about the oddball polution generating sailor is a bit halfbrained. Plenty of other people to throw your darts (or shoot your flares) at.

It would be Nice if we could lump everyone into the same category, smokers and non-smokers, but just like everything else humans do, we all do it differently.

I could spend my days complaining about the non-smoker who's just so incredibly healthy he has to drink individually bottled water 8 times a day between his 5 mile jogs in his Nike shoes and polyester clothing... But I don't do that not that I'm any kind of role model, just sayin.. There's bigger fish to fry, and Complaining about my own issues (quietly to myself) takes up most of my time.
Old 14-09-2011, 18:17   #84
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you donot want to see plastic in the water, educate folks about storm drains.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:31   #85

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

If someone anchors within 40 feet of us...
...maybe it's because they really want to hear bagpipe practice.
Old 14-09-2011, 18:35   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
if you donot want to see plastic in the water, educate folks about storm drains.
Yea storm drains, street polution...and plastic itself!

Plastic doesn't get recycled. It's a lie. It gets 'decycled' until it's end of life (plastic bags and bottles) then it just goes into the landfill with everything else. But that's only the (about) .3% of it that's actuallying being sent to the recylers...

Don't get me wrong. I agree that throwing butts down, or even worse, into the water, is indeed polution (which is why I chose nor to do it). But to quote it as some sort 'source' of polution, or anything remotely close, is a little bit of an unbalanced argument.
Old 14-09-2011, 18:36   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat
If someone anchors within 40 feet of us...
...maybe it's because they really want to hear bagpipe practice.
Bagpipes! You mean 4000 feet?
Old 14-09-2011, 18:41   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are ever in same anchorage with me, PLEASE PLAY, PIPER!!!!! i was raised right--love pipes. and a proper kilt looks great on a guy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:52   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you are ever in same anchorage with me, PLEASE PLAY, PIPER!!!!! i was raised right--love pipes. and a proper kilt looks great on a guy.
Danny boy and Amazing Grace for me please..No kilt thou..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:59   #90

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post

Nope, never done it. Never. Not from a car, boat, when walking down the street or dock, camping, whatever. We have a lot of forest fires in our neck of the woods & they're always trying to blame a cigarette, without evidence. Not to say it doesn't happen, but not as often as the public is made to believe. Those who do so, do it because they're slobs just like the slobs who litter.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote