Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:08   #46

Boat: Boatless
Re: Security Tactics Actually Used

BeBe, many thanks... Finally something useful and practical out of the 250+ posts here and on Sailnet. I really like the idea of a 'ding' when someone steps into the cockpit.

This might have helped avoid the dreadful injury sustained by Tina.

I will contact you when I am ready to install.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I really find it hard to comprehend people that seemingly sail into harms way. Maybe I've spent too long in nice places. But I do not want to sail to areas where I need to be armed. Nor do I want to find myself in a situation where I nee to resort to such extremes.

I don't care about the possessions. I insure those that are valuable , the rest is just " stuff" my philosophy is in such circumstances is to offer no resistance and hand over my wallet . In my view its never worth ANYONE getting hurt over " stuff" and that in includes the assailants.

This doesn't mean I'm anti gun, quite the contrary , I'm a target shooter in several disclipines and own a selection of semi auto rifles , shotguns and other firearms. I even have a good stainless Mossberg for the yacht if I need to. ( my local police chief sails , so that helps with the licensing !!) I'm extremely comfortable with the mechanics of firearms etc.

Still doesn't change my mind. I practice safe processes in dodgy areas , yes I've stayed awake in the cockpit in one or two areas. But anywhere I feel uncomfortable , I'm gone.

I don't want to turn my leisure and pleasure activity into an armed conflict that's all

Dave
Old 08-10-2013, 05:35   #48

BeBe-that is a great link- looks like a product everyone needs. You've really had no mishaps? I'm about 100% positive we are going to be installing this. I like the doorbell, too!

Thanks for the info!

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:23   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Yeah, Slocum was a liar for sure. I bet his paints were on fire. I saw photos of the deck of the Spray and there weren't any rust spots on them.
This is an old stand by trick that has been used many times in developing countrys,I knew a farmer when I was a kid that used this trick and he swore by it ,he also liked to hang fishing hooks on short string from trees and his mom had glass bottles inserted into a bed of concrete when they built a rock wall around her house,when the concrete dryed she broke the bottles with a crowbar( The Post sisters also did the bottle trick to a wall in West Palm Beach at a house they had back in the 80s)..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I really find it hard to comprehend people that seemingly sail into harms way. Maybe I've spent too long in nice places. But I do not want to sail to areas where I need to be armed. Nor do I want to find myself in a situation where I nee to resort to such extremes. (edit)

This doesn't mean I'm anti gun, quite the contrary , I'm a target shooter in several disclipines and own a selection of semi auto rifles , shotguns and other firearms. I even have a good stainless Mossberg for the yacht if I need to. ( my local police chief sails , so that helps with the licensing !!) I'm extremely comfortable with the mechanics of firearms etc.

Still doesn't change my mind. I practice safe processes in dodgy areas , yes I've stayed awake in the cockpit in one or two areas. But anywhere I feel uncomfortable , I'm gone.

I don't want to turn my leisure and pleasure activity into an armed conflict that's all

Dave
I agree 100%; that's why we currently sail in the Med... definitely, no guns on board. But in questionable areas in the US, mostly the southern states and areas frequented by drug trafficers and those up to no good, your Mossberg Mariner is an excellent choice; I always had mine on board while in Southern California. But now I find the Russian Vepr AK 47 to be an even better choice.

You're right about sailing being a pleasure activity, we have no interest in visiting areas with high crime rates or a history of univited boardings. Being vigilant and avoidance are #1 & #2 priorities for security.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42   #51

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Most home alarm systems operate on 12 VDC. You can get simple ones with 2-4 zones for relatively little money. I use an old Radio Shack unit from 20 years ago (and have a spare for parts). The input side allows you to use a keyswitch, simple pushbutton, and/or a keypad for turning it on and off. The switching side allows you to use anything that turns on and off for triggering alarm pressure mats, magnetic switches, passive infra red sensors, fire alarm sensors, float switches, beam switches. The alarms are switchable, so you can choose a "ding-dong" to announce a visitor, or any other attention-getter. The output allows you to run relays that power lights, alarm sirens or phaser arrays. You can set it up so that you can have full access to the interior, but if someone shows up outside, you will know about it. You can set it and disarm it from a distance with a key fob switch. You can even program what language(s) you want it to announce your displeasure of being boarded at unreasonable hours, interspersed with ear-piercing sirens and other sounds. It can differentiate between a fire or flooding alarm, and an unauthorized boarding. These things are really easy to install, and versatile. The parts are available on-line or in security stores (for more money!). Why we don't see more of them is a mystery to me. When coupled with a multi-camera array and video recorder (again, all 12 VDC), you can know just who came aboard and left a fresh-baked loaf of bread, or came to "borrow" something while you were out.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 10:30   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Reviewing this thread, the actual tactics used "in anger" include situational awareness, some form of early warning system (electronics and/or dogs), and disrupting the element of surprise by various methods.

Of course, there is mixed in some of the usual bluster about guns, but no post in which a gun was actually used by a cruiser aboard a cruising boat.

Interesting results, thanks for posting.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 07:03   #53

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

best defense is sail in a quieter area and sleep easy we do
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 07:39   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
best defense is sail in a quieter area and sleep easy we do
Yes, but bad stuff happens even in good places. Two cases in point, Boacs del Toro and Belize, each had one especially brutal attack in recent years. Nothing like it before or since. So even in good areas it is best to be aware and take basic precautions.

In the past, Ive cruised both areas with no concerns, or precuations about security, but now I am more cautious.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:05   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, but bad stuff happens even in good places. Two cases in point, Boacs del Toro and Belize, each had one especially brutal attack in recent years. Nothing like it before or since. So even in good areas it is best to be aware and take basic precautions.

In the past, Ive cruised both areas with no concerns, or precuations about security, but now I am more cautious.
Yes, your situational awareness is paramount.

We have used a motion sensor/alarm unit satisfactorily (it only alarmed when someone actually came on board), but ultimately they're a nuisance, require new batteries, and rarely needed (as in unwanted visitors). Still, I think there's a place for them.
Old 20-10-2013, 10:32   #56

being an ex royal marine I know a thing or two about security. My best advice is internal locks and a mobile phone or VHF. Lock yourself in and make sure its bloody hard for anyone to get in. If you hear anything suspicious call the authorities and stay below. If they do get the hatch open use you head and think first and don't panic as panic KILLS. Hair spray, shaving foam, deodorant, perfume, any of these things sprayed in the face will incapacitate someone. always have a couple of large cable ties ready once they are incapacitated cuff them and wait for the authorities. Fire arms have been done to death here and all I will add is if you are not a soldier forget them or you will get killed. Happy sailing to you all
Old 20-10-2013, 10:45   #57

Boat: Corbin 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
being an ex royal marine I know a thing or two about security. My best advice is internal locks and a mobile phone or VHF. Lock yourself in and make sure its bloody hard for anyone to get in. If you hear anything suspicious call the authorities and stay below. If they do get the hatch open use you head and think first and don't panic as panic KILLS. Hair spray, shaving foam, deodorant, perfume, any of these things sprayed in the face will incapacitate someone. always have a couple of large cable ties ready once they are incapacitated cuff them and wait for the authorities. Fire arms have been done to death here and all I will add is if you are not a soldier forget them or you will get killed. Happy sailing to you all
One system that I installed was a simple push button system with a button located in the v berth and one in the companionway that initialized an outside alarm much like a car alarm. I feel the 110 db alarm might be enough to scare off some attackers who don't want the extra attention.
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:52   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortezsailor View Post
One system that I installed was a simple push button system with a button located in the v berth and one in the companionway that initialized an outside alarm much like a car alarm. I feel the 110 db alarm might be enough to scare off some attackers who don't want the extra attention.
very good idea, bring as much attention to them as possible they don't like noise or bright lights
Old 07-09-2021, 05:07   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I like the defensive approach as well. Lock yourself in and have decklights and maybe even a siren that can be activated.

Let's not turn this into another gun thread. Using the Search feature can take you down that path.
Why is it that gun haters think they can dictate to gun lovers. Do they think the revolutionary war and all other wars that gave them their freedom was a debate.
rnanaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:55   #60

Boat: Camano Troll

I lock my boat when I leave it or when I am sleeping on it. That's my "Re: Security Tactics Actually Used".

I have never needed anything more, but I suppose if I woke up to find someone actually on my boat, I would sound the (very loud) air horn.