Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 20:45   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Granny Bars

Have an older boat with granny bars by the mast. Thinking of clearing them away, any reason not to? Main sail is in mast furling, everything lead aft. Would like a cleaner deck and while I like the concept, without a need to go up there, think the boat would look more modern without it. Thoughts?
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:15   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Granny Bars

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:23   #3

I never knew they were called that.

I though this post must be about granola bars.

Or, grandmas hanging out in a bar doing the cougar thing.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 16:37   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I had to Google that term:

Bars That Draw an Older Crowd in NJ

Maybe I should bookmark that site for next time I'm cruising NJ?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 16:48   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

We recently installed a granny bar. But that's because all of our lines are at the mast, and it makes a very convenient place to hang the tails for 4 halyards, the outhaul, three reefing lines, and two lazy jacks. If all of that is back at the cockpit and you really don't go up to the mast very much then take it out. But before you do, think about anything you might have to do up at the mast in really crappy weather. If you think you don't have any tasks like that, then fine, take them out. Really up to you and how comfortable you feel on the boat.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 22:35   #6

Boat: Regina 43

If absolutely everything is led aft and you never sail solo then removing them won’t hurt, However, I would strongly advise that you keep them otherwise.

My boat has them whilst also having all controls for the main and foresail back to the cockpit (excluding vang and topping lift). I think this works great. When handling the spinnaker, or any other halyards, I can do this at the mast where it is most convenient and the granny bars help hugely with that. Otherwise I sail from the cockpit with white sails. Best of both worlds.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 23:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
I never knew they were called that.

I though this post must be about granola bars.

Or, grandmas hanging out in a bar doing the cougar thing.
I actually thought it was about granola bars too. I just put a few in my ditch bag but am wondering if they'll dehydrate me.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Good place to secure extra fenders and lines. Our foldable bikes have a home to one of ‘em. Otherwise a relative secure location while on deck working halyards and the main sail.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Would like a cleaner deck and while I like the concept, without a need to go up there, think the boat would look more modern without it. Thoughts?
In England, they call them zimmer frames (same name as an old person's walking assistance).

Networker, in a toss-up between 'modern esthetics' and safety (regardless of the lines lead aft, you're going to need to go to the mast sometimes), I would always decide on the safety - but that's me.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 04:49   #10

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Older boat. In mast sail. You might want to post asking what other sailors did when their in mast furling system failed.
There is a very old saying that anyone can hoist a sail but it takes a sailor to pull it down. I talked to a very experienced sailor with a stunning 60’ yacht who had an in mast system fail. He had one professional crew and a young, strong son aboard. They had to cut the mainsail off in high winds. He told me it was the most frightening experience he had ever had at sea. His son stood on the boom and slashed away at the sail with a knife on a stick. They did this till the sail ripped into ribbons. They considered themselves lucky to have survive without a mast failure. I would never consider in mast furling for an ocean yacht. Lots of things can go wrong which require you to go forward in bad conditions.
I’d keep those bars and I’d look for another spar.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew working on ORCA costumes for Halloween.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 05:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Older boat. In-mast sail. You might want to post asking what other sailors did when their in-mast furling system failed.

There is a very old saying that anyone can hoist a sail, but it takes a sailor to pull it down.

I talked to a very experienced sailor with a stunning 60’ yacht who had an in-mast system fail. He had one professional crew and a young, strong son aboard. They had to cut the mainsail off in high winds. He told me it was the most frightening experience he had ever had at sea. His son stood on the boom and slashed away at the sail with a knife on a stick. They did this 'til the sail ripped into ribbons. They considered themselves lucky to have survived without a mast failure.

I would never consider in-mast furling for an ocean yacht. Lots of things can go wrong which require you to go forward in bad conditions.

I’d keep those bars and I’d look for another spar.
+1

Manatee, you wanna read something truly frightening, have a gander at the (currently active thread) started by the couple who has $4 mil wanting to buy a 60-foot cat to cruise for 2 years in their retirement.

I think perhaps you should duplicate this post and add it there...

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 06:43   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Someday someone else may have your boat and want or like those bars.
Old 13-09-2021, 07:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
Have an older boat with granny bars by the mast. Thinking of clearing them away, any reason not to? Main sail is in mast furling, everything lead aft. Would like a cleaner deck and while I like the concept, without a need to go up there, think the boat would look more modern without it. Thoughts?
Keep them. Your boat might look marginally more modern, but you'll lose a lot of safety to work at the mast.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote