Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2021, 16:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau
Custom Tethers - Who makes them.

I need some custom tethers made up, and I'm at a loss for who to go to for this. I'm looking for someone capable of doing the sewing for me. I'm very rusty and I don't trust myself to do them.

Thanks!
Beneteausailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 18:39   #2

Re: Custom Tethers - Who makes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteausailor View Post
I need some custom tethers made up . . . .
What customization are you looking for, and do they need to pass racing requirements?

You will have a hard time finding someone to make them so they pass racing requirements (they have to have overload flags sewn in which need a tested breaking strain). Need someone who can both load test and do bar tacks

If you don't need racing requirements - sailmakers and anyone who can do good bar tacks could certainly do it, but they might not want to (liability reasons).

I made my own.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 19:00   #3

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
I need some custom tethers made up, and I'm at a loss for who to go to for this. I'm looking for someone capable of doing the sewing for me. I'm very rusty and I don't trust myself to do them.

Thanks!
Zig Zag Sail & Canvass in Seal Beach, CA 562-270-6015. They made me a custom set a “couple” of years ago (2018).
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 19:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
Zig Zag Sail & Canvass in Seal Beach, CA 562-270-6015. They made me a custom set a “couple” of years ago (2018).
I might comment, that you want the people sewing to have break-tested their sew loops. It is pretty easy to make something that looks nice and strong that will not pass the minimum tether strength requirements. They need to hold up to climbing drop sort of loads, which have significantly higher peak loading than most 'canvas' applications ever see. You generally want a sewing pattern of 8 to 10 good bar tacks (which is a climbing standard) - a 'box X' pattern is (generally) NOT at all sufficient.
Old 05-09-2021, 19:34   #5

They do not need to pass racing requirements. I can sew a bar tack by hand, but I do not have a machine available at the moment. Also, from my past experience with fall arrest systems I've learned you just can't beat the good automatic bar tack machines. Although, the whole setup is so over rated it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2021, 19:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
I might comment, that you want the people sewing to have break-tested their sew loops. It is pretty easy to make something that looks nice and strong that will not pass the minimum tether strength requirements. They need to hold up to climbing drop sort of loads, which have significantly higher peak loading than most 'canvas' applications ever see. You generally want a sewing pattern of 8 to 10 good bar tacks (which is a climbing standard) - a 'box X' pattern is (generally) NOT at all sufficient.
Exactly what I was thinking and why I am not doing them myself. I probably should have asked, "Anyone know who has a good automated bar-tack machine?"

I have a fair bit of experience with fall arrest system design, certification, and implementation so I'm familiar with good practices regarding manufacturing and testing. Normally box and x patterns were used in places where we wanted it to break at a certain load.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2021, 19:45   #7

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Thanks. Now that I read this I realize that Zig Zag made up a pair of jack lines for me; not the actual tether(s). No drop loads expected on this set b/c run the cockpit sole. Might still check with ‘em, however.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:31   #8

Quote:
"Anyone know who has a good automated bar-tack machine?"
https://www.skyworksparachuteservice.com/

These guys do and have the know-how to do it correctly.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:21   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Any sailmaker or canvas shop can do those with their eyes closed.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Any sailmaker or canvas shop can do those with their eyes closed.
hmmmm . . . when 19 commercially made tethers were tested (1998 test), 47% (9) of them failed the dynamic drop test. And yes some people have died do to failed tethers. This is in fact not as straightforward as one might think - it is not 'hard to do' but you need some particular knowledge.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:02   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
hmmmm . . . when 19 commercially made tethers were tested (1998 test), 47% (9) of them failed the dynamic drop test. And yes some people have died do to failed tethers. This is in fact not as straightforward as one might think - it is not 'hard to do' but you need some particular knowledge.

Yup, that. I have tested some. With low stretch webbing, the stop is abrupt.

Beneteausailor, just curious what customization is needed. I have used custom tethers (cat with wide deck) but mostly the 3x6 standard is pretty good. Or are we talking work station tethers? Finally, the material does not have to be webbing.