Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40   #16

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Security Tactics Actually Used

As per Rebel Heart, situational awareness is #1. As per ZeeHag, bright lights can make them slither away. Loud noises (sirens and alarms) tend to discourage the timid ones. Tear gas is good, as well as other non-lethal means such as pepper spray, etc. Life line nets help.

MarkJ's companionway grate is a good idea.

In the coming years, I expect boaters will be able to avail themselves of non-lethal equipment now being developed for law enforcement. I've long wondered why some sort of rubber bullet device could not be implemented, and used world wide, as an effective deterrent to be used when completely defensive measures fail. The idea would require some theory of construction that disallowed the use of more lethal projectiles. Then there's the taser... I'm not sure if a maritime environment makes tasers more deadly?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
I've long wondered why some sort of rubber bullet device could not be implemented, and used world wide, as an effective deterrent to be used when completely defensive measures fail. The idea would require some theory of construction that disallowed the use of more lethal projectiles. Then there's the taser... I'm not sure if a maritime environment makes tasers more deadly?
I agree that it would be nice to make available to the public some sort of defensive device that was not also capable of offensive use. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything like that currently existing.

Rubber bullets are currently available in several calibers. They are most commonly available in 12ga shells. Several sizes & styles of rubber projectile are available. The ones that I am aware of, all must be fired from real guns. Some jurisdictions consider this use of less than lethal force. Some jurisdictions consider this use of lethal force.

The number of people who have been killed by tazers is much higher than the manufacturer would care to admit. Those things are actually pretty dangerous.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Has anyone used nonlethal shock (ie hooked up electric fence stuff) or tacks (like Slocum) for defense?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Has anyone used nonlethal shock (ie hooked up electric fence stuff) or tacks (like Slocum) for defense?
Exactly what I was thinking. With a sufficiently large capacitor charged and connecting to something around the deck - I'd use boat-like terms but I don't really know any. Maybe only get one good shock out of it but they won't know that.

I have to say that is one of my two greatest fears related to cruising.
GreyBeardVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:54   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

those shock and tacks things i cannot do with a cat, but i can wind up for a pitch with my louisville slugger realllllly good....i knew the boys were coming as they advertised intent. as soon as it looked as if i was gonna go to sleep, they arrived in stealth mode which i made fail. this was ensenada in april 2011. the write up i posted was named la noche de los bandidos here on cf.l
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyBeardVA View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. With a sufficiently large capacitor charged and connecting to something around the deck - I'd use boat-like terms but I don't really know any. Maybe only get one good shock out of it but they won't know that.
...ya plannin to run that through a GFCI to make it safe for the crew????
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 15:33   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
How many bad boys have you turned over to authorities using these techniques?
Four. They all plead guilty because of very clear video evidence with date and time stamps. The videos showed arrival, attempt to break and enter, apprehension and removal by the authorities. Very hard to refute in court.

For the record, the Harbor Police headquarters is located a few hundred yards away, and all of our liveaboards have the dispatch number on speed dial. Time and response are of the essence. Having certifiable proof is critical. Being a negative person is counterproductive. Not taking all precautions is foolish.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 15:41   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Tazzer seems like maybe a good option. I looked up St Vincent and it says all guns must be quarantined onboard in locked cabinets. If you use that quarantined gun to kill a minor in their jurisdiction what happens to you?

I'm serious with that question, as I have never heard of any cruiser actually using a firearm to defend themselves when in a foreign jurisdiction.
Old 06-10-2013, 16:21   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
The only thing that will be accomplished for sure by spreading carpet tacks on your deck, would be creating hundreds of rust spots you'll spend hours cleaning off. Why in the world would Slocum have had hundreds of carpet tacks onboard? I know the story, but I believe he used it to embelish the book and make it more interesting.... Unlikely it ever happened.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 16:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The only thing that will be accomplished for sure by spreading carpet tacks on your deck, would be creating hundreds of rust spots you'll spend hours cleaning off. Why in the world would Slocum have had hundreds of carpet tacks onboard? I know the story, but I believe he used it to embelish the book and make it more interesting.... Unlikely it ever happened.
Yeah, Slocum was a liar for sure. I bet his paints were on fire. I saw photos of the deck of the Spray and there weren't any rust spots on them.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 16:38   #26

Brass tacks
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 16:40   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Hi You two...

Peninsula de Paria in Venezuela:
Tactic, anchored in a group of 3 boats, close. Split watches between 2 people each on three boats. From dusk till dawn played searchlight around the 3 of us every 10 minutes or so.
Haiti:
Tactic, used Radar on 1/4 mile setting, circular guard zone, two boats inside the GZ.
03h15, radar alarm, called other boat on VHF, synchronized count-down to two searchlights illuminating the canoe, with two pot.perps. paddling with machetes as paddles. Went after them in dinghy.....still have the one machete.
La Linea:
Tactic, IR motion sensor scanning the dink and its chain. Mounted up under the Solar Panels on stern arch. Alarm went off, went up with searchlight and a spray of some description. Found Camo-pattern-wetsuited swimmer with loooong fins, mask and snorkel hiding under boomkin. Pretended to NOT see him, but called to Mate, "Bring me the shotgun" Switched off the light and hid, noticed swimmer departing and he joined a large powerboat downwind.

We also do a lot of booby traps. We also would NOT put lights on if they got inside= home field advantage. There is advantage to small confined spaces=machetes are hard to swing. The best hand weapons for confined spaces are poking or prodding tools. Projection type non lethal weapons can include Fire Extinguishers, mace, tazers, etc. A hammer is good. A bright LED flashlight ruins night vision, so shut your eyes momentarily when you dazzle them.(Do not hold light in front of you) If there is any conversation, when they start using single syllable words, or single words, attack is imminent (they are in tunnel vision mode) Strike while they are talking.

From military training, I suggest, Threat appraisal, Zone of detection, Zone of exclusion, etc...

A dog is wonderful, even a recorded one on the stereo.

Use everything, think defence, be recognized as a hard target. The vast majority of these guys are not in it for a fight.

Be aware.
Three hits in how many years/anchor nights?

You went after the ones in the canoe with machetes? What did you carry with you?
Old 06-10-2013, 17:05   #28

Boat: Hylas 47
It wasn't on a boat, but I once pepper sprayed three drinking enthusiasts who thought it would be a good idea to physically assault someone who was working for me. They immediately ceased the assault and tried (unsuccessfully) to get away. After that incident, I purchased a different type of pepper spray, the kind that comes out in a 20 foot stream, instead of a 6 foot mist. The most blew almost as much in my face as it did on theirs! (Perhaps because I was running through the cloud of pepper spray to continue spraying until the container was empty, I wanted to make sure I got them good)
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 17:09   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

eh
come out swinging a bat like you will send em to mars. they will leave. they will also think you insane and therefore leave you alone. is bad juju to mess with insanity....rodlmao

that pepper spray one sounded kinda fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 18:36   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Our 2 wire hair terriors(spl) Give us plenty of notice of any one approching our boat! if they get close (100ft or so) Then I turn on all my lights!! I keep 2 deck lights on all night along with my anchor light! I have a serperate set of batts just for my deck lights! I do have an approved gun locker, and have no problem in most places Ive been to. Some do require that we put our shot gun and hunting rifle in there care till we leave! But we carry no hand guns, or automatic rifles. We always get permission to carry these to Mexico for hunting!! Never been a problem there! Never had to use them, cus dog's and lights and voice over vhf seems to be enough so far!! Tried tacks and ended up with both feet getting tacks in em !! Never again !! Just my 2 cents