Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 16:18   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Life Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I singlehanded down to Honduras and back last year from Nth FL and there was a couple of times I threw on my inflatable lifejacket......an older mustang. I did attach a line to the harness......for giggles.

So about a week after I got back I went aboard and found my life jacket had self inflated.....and deflated. After inspection I found it was basically falling apart.

I inflated another older mustang I had aboard and exactly the same thing.

To be fair , these units were over ten years old. I talked with Mustang.....just curious what they thought. Too old. Fair enough.

Upon reflection, had I had gone overboard I would have been most upset to find my lifejacket useless.

So......ya'll may want to have a think about maybe that lifekacket you are wearing every time you step foot aboard is useless. Maybe.

Well, they should be serviced at least once a year, and once they get that old, I think twice a year.

Blow them up hard and leave them overnight. Carefully look them over. Change the inflation mechanism according to the expiration date. Weigh the CO2 cartridges -- the weight is stamped on the cylinders.

There is no excuse for wearing "useless" life jackets.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:51   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

I can't see using two different inflatables. Why not setup one that is comfortable and has attached what you want? We got rid of our 10 year old beat up inflatables and bought some Ergo ones. They are a comfortable fit and much cheaper than the Spinlocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crewsaver-ergofit-190n-pro-hammar-with-light-and-h.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	189053  
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:52   #18

Boat: Other people's boats

I have an older Mustang, but it went some years in (clean, dry) storage so doesn't show its age. It still gets the annual inspection and inflation test although I'm thinking it's almost time to swap it for a Deckvest.

Inside the Gate, the rule I've always seen and followed is PFDs are worn unless below. By my observation crotch straps are still largely unknown unless the PFD came with them. Going out the Gate things may be different; I'd consider adding tether, strobe, crotch straps, and spray hood to be the minimum.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 17:11   #19

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

We often have kids on board, and are always short-handed, so life jackets aren’t optional on my boat. I bought really good ones, which are so comfortable and lightweight they really aren’t an encumbrance. Auto-inflating, PLB permanently attached. Kids under 10 have to be tethered, adults at night or if it’s lumpy. If you don’t wear a life jacket you can hardly expect kids to without complaining.

Being in the habit of wearing a life jacket all the time when on deck makes it less likely you’ll forget when jumping tender in good weather, which is where they are more likely to be needed.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 17:13   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
Inflatables that have certain features do not need to be worn to count, at least in the US. I got this one to increase the legal capacity for my boat without buying more foam: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...0067&id=902554
It may be different in the USA. In Canada my understanding is as I said; an inflatable (whether auto or manual activation) must be worn to be considered a legal lifejacket. A quick search produced many references to this fact. Here is one typical example.

Quote:
Off-Shore U.S. Coast Guard Requirements for Inflatable PFDs

The PFD must actually be worn to meet the USCG carriage requirement for having one PFD onboard per person—unlike inherently buoyant life jackets, which are not required to be worn at all times (except by children) but which must be readily accessible.
https://www.thoughtco.com/legal-requ...e-pfds-2915456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I singlehanded down to Honduras and back last year from Nth FL and there was a couple of times I threw on my inflatable lifejacket......an older mustang. I did attach a line to the harness......for giggles.

So about a week after I got back I went aboard and found my life jacket had self inflated.....and deflated. After inspection I found it was basically falling apart….
Good advice. I know mine is getting a little long in the tooth. I do inspect it annually, and I have activated it a few times — mostly when it comes time to change out the expired cartridge (although once it inflated by accident … that was fun). So far it looks good, but it might be time to upgrade.
Old 30-03-2019, 18:19   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
MOB recovery can be "relatively easy" in F4 and below, but may not be easy at all, and especially not in cold water. How many sailors have died going overboard in F4 and below.

If you go over without a beacon in a brisk F4, you're out of sight in no time, and may not be found. That will produce enough sea to obscure the victim from sight in seconds. No life jacket, no beacon, in most cases.

And it's dangerous to be in cold water without a life jacket even in calm conditions. The victim becomes debilitated in no time, and if he doesn't drown straight away, he will still soon not be able to hold onto to a line or use a lifesling. So then you have a really major problem getting him back on board, especially if there is only one other person on board. With no life jacket you don't even have anything to clip a line onto.

So this is a serious issue and I'm afraid many of us, including me, are perhaps too complacent about it, hence this thread. Carsten's practice seems like a very good one to me.
Which is why we’ve been wearing Ocean Rodeo Ignite drysuits for over three years in the conditions you describe, but I thought you already knew this from my many posts on the subject.

Note: While wearing a drysuit, the life jacket isn’t 100% necessary because the drysuit provides floatation.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 18:40   #22

Regarding the comments about inflatables not "counting" unless they are worn. Check the labels of your inflatable lifejackets. A few years ago the Coast Guard changed the requirements as part of a larger effort to align US lifejacket categories with those internationally. Some inflatables do count if not worn but others do not. The label on the lifejacket and the manual that comes with it will note if it must be worn to "count." Some inflatables are considered "type V" (under the old system) PFDs because they have harnesses, or because they do not have certain indicators and will state "must be worn.". Many of your "basic" inflatables (i.e. no harness, no d-rings, etc.) are now counted the same as a "type III" lifejacket and will count towards carriage requirements so long as they meet the accessibility and serviceability requirements. Of course, no lifejacket will help unless it is worn so that's the best bet anyway!
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 19:55   #23

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Above is correct for the US, Mike was correct that Canada requires all inflatables to be worn. https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...age-2.html#h-9
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 01:26   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Which is why we’ve been wearing Ocean Rodeo Ignite drysuits for over three years in the conditions you describe, but I thought you already knew this from my many posts on the subject.

Note: While wearing a drysuit, the life jacket isn’t 100% necessary because the drysuit provides floatation.. . .

You ALWAYS wear a drysuit when sailing?

I completely agree about the value of this if you go over -- if I had to choose between a drysuit and a lifejacket, I would take the drysuit every day of the year. My drysuit even has an inflation tube so I can blow it up if I want to (or let all the air out of it so I can swim). Dry suit is the dog's danglies for surviving being in cold water.

However, they are awkward to put on and fairly bulky. You need gloves and hood in really cold water. I can't imagine wearing a drysuit in good weather with very small risk of going over, as opposed to a lightweight life jacket.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 31-03-2019, 03:11   #25

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:

Note: While wearing a drysuit, the life jacket isn’t 100% necessary because the drysuit provides floatation.

Ken,

this Ocean Rodeo suit looks fantastic .... with the exception of the placement of the relief zipper (i will to do a search to see if there is a choice in the placement of the relief zipper, fingers crossed!)

i'm curious: how temperature comfortable you are while wearing it?
in what temps do you feel as though you just have to peel it off?
if the sun is shining and there isn't must wind, do you feel like you are in a sauna or does it breathe a bit?

i'm also curious about how much flotation it provides. have you actually jumped in with it to see how it responds when different toggles are or are not pulled tight?

thanks!

wolfgal
Old 31-03-2019, 03:39   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
Ken,

this Ocean Rodeo suit looks fantastic .... with the exception of the placement of the relief zipper (i will to do a search to see if there is a choice in the placement of the relief zipper, fingers crossed!)

i'm curious: how temperature comfortable you are while wearing it?
in what temps do you feel as though you just have to peel it off?
if the sun is shining and there isn't must wind, do you feel like you are in a sauna or does it breathe a bit?

i'm also curious about how much flotation it provides. have you actually jumped in with it to see how it responds when different toggles are or are not pulled tight?

thanks!

wolfgal
Drysuits are also made for women. Simply google "drysuit for women" to find one. We only wear them when the conditions dictate it's appropriate, then yes.... the material is very breathable. Plus the drysuit can be worn in foul weather mode without the hood for a more breathable garment as described in the video.

If the sun is shining and the wind is blowing over 20 knots over cold water, you'll certainly need to be wearing foul weather gear or a jacket in those conditions anyway, so why not a drysuit as the wind approaches 30 knots?
Old 31-03-2019, 03:46   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You ALWAYS wear a drysuit when sailing?

I completely agree about the value of this if you go over -- if I had to choose between a drysuit and a lifejacket, I would take the drysuit every day of the year. My drysuit even has an inflation tube so I can blow it up if I want to (or let all the air out of it so I can swim). Dry suit is the dog's danglies for surviving being in cold water.

However, they are awkward to put on and fairly bulky. You need gloves and hood in really cold water. I can't imagine wearing a drysuit in good weather with very small risk of going over, as opposed to a lightweight life jacket.
That's not what I wrote. You described conditions in excess of 17 knots over very cold water, then yes over 20 knots in those conditions, everyone is usually cold who's sitting outside in an open cockpit and would need to be wearing at least foul weather gear anyway, so why not a drysuit? You have an Ocean Rodeo drysuit just like mine.

If the water is warm, then no we don't wear drysuits.... just a life jacket.
Old 31-03-2019, 04:01   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

I wear one of those small, tight fitting life jackets used by kayaker most of the time because the last thing I want to be worrying about if I did accidently go overboard is treading water. I don't usually have it fasten though. I wear it loosely sometimes instead of a tee shirt

Also, most times I am within 15 miles of shore so I should be able to make it to land with a bit of luck depending on current and water temperature, etc

Another reason I wear one is because I'm a singlehander.

Also, there's the example being set by the Coast Guard and Navy Personnel on their patrol boats I regularly see who always wear theirs

And it was a rule to wear a PFD during all the races I competed in on Beach Cats so it got to be a habit. That would be 400 plus races …..
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:16   #29

A few years back my RYA instructor summed it up as follows
Overboard with no PFD 0% chance of survival
Overboard with PFD 50% chance
All with a drilled and trained crew
Want to see some crazy stuff, most popular
Youtube channels never wear them
Interferes with the romantic image
they want to create
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 06:07   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's not what I wrote. You described conditions in excess of 17 knots over very cold water, then yes over 20 knots in those conditions, everyone is usually cold who's sitting outside in an open cockpit and would need to be wearing at least foul weather gear anyway, so why not a drysuit? You have an Ocean Rodeo drysuit just like mine.

If the water is warm, then no we don't wear drysuits.... just a life jacket.

OK, I see what you're saying. But this thread is not about that. In strong conditions of course everyone on my boat is properly equipped, never leaves the cockpit without a tether and someone else on board, etc. etc..

This thread is not about that -- it's about not wearing life jackets in more benign conditions, something I am guilty of, and something I'm rethinking. In reasonable conditions I climb all over my boat like a monkey, even when I'm single handed, and never a life jacket in less than F6 or so. Maybe getting more cautious with age, but I'm starting to think this is unwise.

Maybe really I will buy one of the smaller Deckvests, like Carsten has, and try to start wearing it more. Keep the large SeaGo for strong weather.

Also need to buy a new MOB beacon. I was an early adopter, and have the very first one which came out, the McMurdo one which is the size and shape of a large dildo, and can't be hidden in a small pocket ("Is that an MOB beacon in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" ). The new Ocean Safety one is like 1/3 the volume, and has DSC.
Walt Whitman