Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 19:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
I just love people that call other people stupid and such. Well, maybe "love" is not the right word. But I am absolutely certain that the people judging these obviously "stupid" people have never made any foolish mistakes themselves.

Let's think about that...... Yup- I am 100% confident that no one who has posted has made a mistake on that level........

Hope you are smiling, as this was posted as a chuckle!!!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 03:14   #32

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Lack of Respect for the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not many years back something like 90 immigrants died in the Bristol Channel... they were gathers of shellfish who were sent out at low water to harvest the flats... unfortunately someone got the tides wrong or something... they all got cut off by the fast moving waters and drowned..
Sounds a lot like the one in 2004 in Morecambe Bay, Lancashire where 21 Chinese cockle pickers were drowned by the rising tide. Occasionally walkers get stuck in quick-sand and get drowned too. 4m tides brings its own set of hazards.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 04:08   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well the city folk have done it again... 7 students rented a place on the coast for the Christmas season... last night they went down to a beach to sit around drinking and partying... and ogle the big sea's...
An extra large wave dumped on them and swept them away..
1 managed to reach the beach and raise the alarm...
So far 1 body recovered badly beaten up on the rocks... 5 still missing.
Bearing in mind this is a coast that is famous around the world for producing waves of 100ft plus... remember the famous TV World Record surf ride at Nazere..
How come folk continue to be so stupid... and further evidence that a university education does not exempt you from a Darwin Award..
What a waste...
Didn't see anything in Gord's translation about these people being from the city, only that they were university students. Do you have extra info? How do you know they weren't country bumpkins.

I mean, if you are going to make presumptions about the dead, why do you assume the are from the city and not the countryside?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 05:05   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lack of Respect for the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Didn't see anything in Gord's translation about these people being from the city, only that they were university students. Do you have extra info? How do you know they weren't country bumpkins.

I mean, if you are going to make presumptions about the dead, why do you assume the are from the city and not the countryside?
Country bumpkins can't afford Uni... this is not a state funded Uni system..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 05:20   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Let's think about that...... Yup- I am 100% confident that no one who has posted has made a mistake on that level........

Hope you are smiling, as this was posted as a chuckle!!!!!
Well... Yes I've made several monumental blunders that could have easily won me the Darwin award, but each time I was fortunate to have a little luck on my side.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 05:20   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Would having had a gun helped?

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 05:28   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

A Water Pistol... maybe..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-12-2013, 05:45   #38

Never saw a city that didn't have a slum, seems like plenty of poor people in every city I have ever been to. Let's just call them dumb rich kids.

Oh, wait why do we have to call them anything?

At the end of the day they were probably just kids, the type of people who specialize in doing dumb things we would never consider ourselves. A tragic loss for their families, my heart goes out to them.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 05:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Delancey;1415974]the type of people who specialize in doing dumb things we would never consider ourselves.QUOTE]

Speak for yourself mate.. been doing dumb things all my life.. just been lucky..

Old 16-12-2013, 16:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Here in the northern California region (San Francisco and on up), people walk along the steeply sloped beaches, often during the winter time, and make that fatal mistake of getting too close or trying to get their dog out of the surf and then can't make it out themselves. Google YouTube and "Mavericks rogue wave." In Florida, where wave dynamics tend to be calmer, undertow used to claim several beach goers every year, but if one knows what an undertow is, it should not be a problem to escape. I think the OP makes a good general point -- lack of awareness of the natural environmental conditions can get you killed. Anywhere.
This happened to my old boss's SIL. She walked her dog every morning along the same route and had for years, ever since she'd moved there. One morning I guess the water was moving differently and she didn't realize, she was swept out and didn't make it back. She drowned and washed up a day or two later. His wife and kids were devastated
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 19:32   #41

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Only if you had the right anchor and made the right choice about a multihull or monohull.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 19:35   #42

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Sometimes your number is just up.
I'm thinking of a family that took a hike in Buena Vista, Colorado a few months ago. Popular trail for a weekend walk, but they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
No one's fault, but tragic just the same.
As my Granny use to say 'if you are meant to hang you are not going to drown'.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 19:42   #43

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
As my Granny use to say 'if you are meant to hang you are not going to drown'.
Scary granny.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 20:30   #44

Life is a crap shoot. dumb people die and brilliant people die. Younger people have a bent towards things that kill them in tragic manners. I am trying to talk my 22 year old son out of buying a Harley, but he keeps reminding me that I raced motorcycles at that age. In my late 20s I sailed across oceans in very small boats and still shudder at the lack of safety equipment that I had. It is, and was not stupidity, but a youthful lack of common sense that comes from getting away with cheating death. Sometimes cheating doesnt work. Not ment to take away from the tragic loss of young people. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 21:51   #45

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I like to picture life like newly hatched sea turtles running for the sea. When you're young, there are all kinds of things that can pick you off. Even once you're in the sea you're still randomly picked off.
We that have survived for more than a few decades can look down on those that didn't and even try to make up reasons why we made it and they didn't. I know I should have died several times and have come to the conclusion that I'm just one lucky bastard. So far.

Goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote