Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 11:28   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: FIRE! Fight or Flight?

A boat in the next marina caught fire, from the visible flames and smoke it looked like it was a goner and might ignite the neighboring boats. There was no one aboard at the time except the owners dog. Some of the dock mates got on the fire with extinguishers and hoses and were able to put the fire out by the time the fire truck arrived. Boat was probably a total but the damage was limited to the cockpit, mainsail and the dog died of smoke inhalation. Really surprised that the fire was so easily extinguished. Everything I've heard is once the glass begins to burn it's bail out time and watch from a safe distance. If the boat hadn't been in a slip with finger piers each side that probably would've been the case with this boat
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49   #62

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I have shared this video before, but thought of it again while reading this thread.

It shows how a boater (fisherman on powerboat) remained too long on a burning boat, because he “cannot swim” and his life vest was inside the burning boat.

He was rescued by a woman in a kayak. She towed him to shore. Brave, clear thinking woman!

https://youtu.be/bzIbv1s9xf8

Also, I am still seeing that when I copy a link using the YouTube “share” button under their videos, that when I then paste that link into the CF post I make, it only shows me the link after I save or post. I would prefer to “embed” the video with the viewer showing here on CF so people can see it without having to go to YouTube. I still have not seen how to do this with the ipad. I only seem to get the link to post, but not the viewer. . Suggestions?

You mean like that?
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:55   #63

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I have shared this video before, but thought of it again while reading this thread.

It shows how a boater (fisherman on powerboat) remained too long on a burning boat, because he “cannot swim” and his life vest was inside the burning boat.

He was rescued by a woman in a kayak. She towed him to shore. Brave, clear thinking woman!

Also, I am still seeing that when I copy a link using the YouTube “share” button under their videos, that when I then paste that link into the CF post I make, it only shows me the link after I save or post. I would prefer to “embed” the video with the viewer showing here on CF so people can see it without having to go to YouTube. I still have not seen how to do this with the ipad. I only seem to get the link to post, but not the viewer. . Suggestions?
I tried to post a reply with the correct method but I got a flash message that my post would have to be approved before being visible.

Don't use the "share" button, it doesnt play well with the forum software. When you watch the video you want to share, look at the https address line. It needs to be the full "you tube dot com" address and not the "you tub . be" address. Copy and paste that address into the post and the forum software will automatically add the proper url script around it to make it work.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:01   #64

Fuel sourced fire means abandon ship as the fuel provides the source. That is why it is important to “preflight” your engine fuel related connections before starting the engine and leaving the dock. I saw a boat burst into flames and there was no way to fight it. Most fires on large ships are caused by fuel connections and hoses leaking and the fuel contacting a hot surface. Prevention is far better than fighting. Note fire consumes the oxygen you need to breath.
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:49   #65

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I might stay and try to fight it if caught quick and extinguishers are accessible.

My family will not stay any longer than needed to grab ditch bag, PFDs and dump life raft overboard. Their safety concerning fire at sea isn't negotiable!

Then they can be ready to pick me up when I finally jump, if I do.
Have you jumped overboard before? With your family in a liferaft .... I minute and you cannot catch them. The current and wind will take them so fast you will never see them again!! All get in together!!!please!!
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:53   #66

Boat: Montevideo 43

Gasoline. Very small window. Solids fire Plenty time .... gas. Walk to bottle ... shut off and fight Solids fire at own leisure.... oil pan . Cover with lid .. oil spill .. NO WATER ....dry towels Many many. Assess . Fire ext hen coolant . Smother smother... Insurance.... burn baby burn!!!
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:20   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
I tried to post a reply with the correct method but I got a flash message that my post would have to be approved before being visible. :confused

You don’t have enough posts to be a “trusted”member yet to post links to third party sites, but your real close so with just a few more posts and it will work as it should.
This is done to try to keep the Spambots etc out of the forum. We are targeted more than you may think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:50   #68

Boat: 1982 36' Trojan Tri-Cabin

Just remember, a fire doubles in size every minute. So what is a fire able to put out may not be one you can put out in another 45 seconds to a minute.

Your best approach (if not alone) is to have others, family or whomever get the life raft out & launched, then get in it, (and get upwind from the fire), while you IMMEDIATELY attack the fire. This is all assuming you have drilled for this sort of thing ahead of time, and everyone knows (and remembers) their responsibilities. Another reason automatic fire extinguishing equipment is so critical on a boat, NOT ONLY TO HAVE, BUT TO CONFIRM IT IS IN PROPER WORKING ORDER AT ALL TIMES!
Medic 4 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 10:31   #69

. I've seen two boats burn and both happened awfully quick...puff of smoke 50 feet from a gas dock and boom! off went the engine covers and the two onboard had ditched.(smart to just jump!) There was no time to play around with dinghies or rafts. This emphasizes the importance of diligent maintenance of auxiliary engines, fuel lines, and all connections! Check bilges before you turn a key! especially with a gasoline engine onboard. The other one I saw took 5 minutes and may have been "purely" electrical but was also on a power boat with gas engine so the fire spread quickly. If I ever acquire a larger sailboat I will be glad to have diesel power!
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:08   #70

Boat: Maxum 2800 SCI Cruiser

Just recently, we were coming out of the dock heading out for the day and came up on a small 18' open bow boat, engine hatch open smoke starting to pour out. Family of 3 at bow of boat, no life jackets on with another boat nearby. No one was doing a thing. 2nd boat was just watching, as was the family. I climbed on the foredeck and holler do you have a fire extinguisher, if so use it! The man on the smoldering boat grabbed the extinguisher looked at it, then looked at me, "how do you use it!" I calmly told him and he used it on the fire. Unfortunately, he did it incorrectly. I threw him another extinguisher, I said do it again. Same thing, not doing it correctly. I grabbed the 3rd extinguisher tossing it to him and said listen.... told him how to put it out, where to aim and he did it correctly!

Its SO important to know how to use the extinguishers if you have them. He and his family were so lucky it didn't get worse and burn out of control.

Educate yourselves. Prevention, Proper safety tools, & Practice. Learn how & what to do in the event of ANY emergency. It can save a life!
Rdhdandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:14   #71

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Far out at sea, GTFO is not nearly as attractive an option as it would be at the dock or a short paddle or swim from shore, or with other vessels around. Big scary fire at the dock, I'm outta there, using all available dock hoses to help keep it from spreading to wood piers or other boats. At sea, if the fire can be fought, then fighting it is the only option until and unless it goes out of control. Burning boat, or life raft in the middle of the ocean? Depends on the state of that ocean and the enthusiasm of the fire at getting to diesel, gasoline, etc. I am a seaman and we are trained to fight the fire on a ship at sea until and unless the situation is hopeless.

Being equipped and prepared to fight a fire on a small boat at sea is not unreasonable or stupid. Hastily abandoning ship with no thought to actually putting the fire out, is. Abandoning ship should always be the very last resort. Survival and rescue is much more likely in a burned out hulk of a boat than a life raft or diinghy or nothing at all.
Old 16-07-2018, 12:54   #72

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
By "chemical" are you referring to the common "dry chemical" extinguishers? If so, theres no danger from it. Its non-toxic, and you could actually eat it with out harm (except for maybe your taste buds). Breathing it could cause some irritation but its going to be better than breathing smoke or flame.
I’m only on the first page... but here goes anyway...
Any smoke fumes in enclosed areas are toxic. Some chemical powders are no more than pressurized bicarbonate soda. Others not so much edible . Co2 is a great extinguisher gas , but is an asphyxiant( displaces oxygen) two breaths of co2 and you pass out. Co2 is heavier than air , will accumulate in bilge and on floors. Halon is great, (but correct me if I’m wrong) but when put on a fire creates very toxic gases. I think nascar stopped using it for that reason.
Cooking fires can be doused with baking soda readily or a damp towel. Grease fires don’t want to use water, makes it worse, and you will get burned.
Always set off pressured extinguishers at base of fire.
Old 16-07-2018, 13:24   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Carbon tet. worked. I guess we are better off now.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:38   #74

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Carbon tet. worked. I guess we are better off now.
Carbon tetra chloride also gives off deadly toxic fumes... killed many a firefighter.

I used carbon tet in gas tanks for gas welding but a slight wiff would put you down puking. Filling the tank with water works very well but time consuming. Best yet was old radiator hose on a running vehicles exhaust to the gas inlet with the sending unit removed..
sorry thread drifting...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:01   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Halon does not put off deadly gases. Halon is the only agent I believe that the FAA recommends for use inside of the cockpit of an airplane.
Putting out the fire, asphyxiating the pilot and crashing into a play school would be a bad thing

Halon is used in Military combat vehicles for the sole reason it can put out a huge flash fire and not kill the inhabitants, and allow them something to breathe while they escape.

I don’t have a clue about NASCAR, likely politically driven would be my guess, not because something else is better.

I was on the flight line in Fleigerhorst (Hanau) Germany when the German officials showed up and confiscated our huge Halon Flight line fire extinguishers. I asked why, and the German proudly smiled and said they are bad for the environment. I asked him didn’t he think that one of these aircraft burning to the ground with all the toxic materials and hundreds of gallons of Jet fuel would be worse?
You have to admire Germans cause you could immediately tell he was contemplating that fact, he came sure he was doing the right thing, and I think left wondering.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote