Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 20:06   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29C
Companionway sliding hatch security

Who locks themselves inside there boat at night? Is it a regional concern? In all these many years of sleeping aboard (Gulf coast, Chesapeake, various lakes) I have never locked myself in or considered it even advisable.
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Companionway sliding hatch security

Easy as far as the hatch boards make one to take the place of top board if you can't do what I do install the top board on the bottom. And install a slide bolt on the companionway hatch and all hatch boards for safety offshore in the event of a knockdown to keep the hatches in place. Something like this works great
Stainless Steel 304 Slide Bolt Latch, Satin Finish, Non Locking, 1-31/32" Bolt Plate Length, 53/64" Throw Plate Length (Pack of 1): Hardware Latches: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:28   #3

Boat: Bayfield 29C

I have mini brass sliding bolts on each drop board, for boarding seas, etc., and when the sliding hatch is closed it covers the edge of the top drop board, so any installation would only be to secure that sliding hatch. I'm very open to ideas, but my real question is....how necessary is it for, say, the winter snow bird going down the ICW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Easy as far as the hatch boards make one to take the place of top board if you can't do what I do install the top board on the bottom. And install a slide bolt on the companionway hatch and all hatch boards for safety offshore in the event of a knockdown to keep the hatches in place. Something like this works great
Stainless Steel 304 Slide Bolt Latch, Satin Finish, Non Locking, 1-31/32" Bolt Plate Length, 53/64" Throw Plate Length (Pack of 1): Hardware Latches: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
austinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rick I would recommend putting one of those slide bolts in the sliding hatch to secure it in the event of boarding seas to keep it secure as far as security on the icw there are several on here that do the run all the time.
Old 07-10-2015, 22:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As newhaul says, you really need a way to secure the hatch in nasty weather. Not uncommon to get pooped when running in bad weather. That can and has forced an unsecured hatch open letting a lot of water below. If you have successive boardings, can even sink the boat. Seem to remember a boat sunk approaching the Golden Gate with loss of life when it was pooped and flooded to the point of sinking by one wave.

Have never felt the need to lock the hatch from the inside at anchor or in a slip.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 22:28   #6

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

You have all missed the OP's Question.. The OP is not asking 'how' to do, it rather, 'who' does it?

I don't travel the world OP, but where I have travelled down South of Australia, then there's certainly no need to and I doubt there would be a need to anywhere in Australia.

But reading some of the stories on CF and other places around Indonesia it sounds like it's a good idea to or you get unwanted visitors.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 23:53   #7
cruiser

We lock the front door to our house in the city, we lock the hatch leading into our boat at night. Wonderful for you if you don't think it's necessary, but my wife just emailed me from Massachusetts wondering what the best product to use in order to clean up the dried puddle of blood three feet from our front door. I confirmed her choice of bleach.

Video camera revealed that a drunk had fallen off the curb and landed on his face, then decided to sit on our front porch for 10 minutes.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:08   #8

I will repeat what I have said before. If you are devising some method of locking the hatches so that intruders cannot get in, be sure that you leave yourself a quick and easy way to get out in case of fire.

Here in the Tampa area we had a family burned to death just a short while ago because they had put security bars on their windows. They lived in a bad neighborhood and thought this was a good idea to keep themselves safe. Instead it killed them when a fire started and they could neither get out the windows, nor get to the one door in the house that could have been relatively easily unlocked.

In your efforts to keep yourself safe, be careful that you don't put yourself into even more danger.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:17   #9
cruiser

I hardly think that turning a knob on the inside of the companionway hatch poses any additional risk for burning to death. Plus, one can always exit via one of the deck hatches if necessary.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Kenomac,
Have you considered moving?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My hatchboard has a barrel bolt to keep it secure, I've only occasionally locked ourselves in, but that is because I have a 16 yr old Daughter on board.
I haven't had a burglar bar insert built for where the boards go, but eventually will before we begin cruising
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I hardly think that turning a knob on the inside of the companionway hatch poses any additional risk for burning to death. Plus, one can always exit via one of the deck hatches if necessary.
Yes, that would be my point. It needs to be quick and easy. I wasn't suggesting that your particular situation put you at any additional risk. But some people do focus so obsessively on one particular risk that they actually put themselves at greater risk overall.

I have seen people talking about putting metal bars, with big locks, on all of the hatches and on the companionway. That could--depending on how everything is set up--be a recipe for disaster.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It don't need be fancy. You do know that a lock is just to keep an honest man honest. If a thief really wants in they will find a way or just break stuff to get in.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18   #14

Boat: Moody 37

Wow you live in dangerous neighbourhoods.I would never lock myself in at night, the risk of fire far outweighs that of marauding nautical axe maniacs. I am curious about locking her up when I am not there, just in case someone steals my laptop or tools. Currently you could break in with a nail file
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:36   #15

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

I don't lock myself in, I have a Gerber machete and two Bowie knives close to hand. Slocum used to sprinkle carpet tacks on his deck in Terra del Fuego back in the 19th century. Rig some noise making devices ( empty cans) to give warning of intruders so you can prepare yourself. Many years since I've been boarded at night. Stay vigilant, but don't fret. Of course, just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companionway, hatch, security