Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2007, 10:12   #91

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Guns on board

Anchored in beautiful Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas right now. Woke up Saturday at 3am to a honking air horn then followed by flares from a boat 2 boats down. Turned on the VHF. Apparently a woman had shot herself in the head with a 38 holllow point and needed medical attention. From what we hear it she was only grazed.

Even in paradise, accidents (??) do happen with guns. Sometimes we can't protect ourselves from ourselves.
Old 22-04-2007, 13:05   #92
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svAlegria
Apparently a woman had shot herself in the head with a 38 holllow point and needed medical attention. From what we hear it she was only grazed.
I suspect I shouldn't be laughing at this..............
Old 22-04-2007, 13:19   #93

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye
Does anyone have a 50 Cal. amour piercing machine Gun with a bow mount. Would make a heck of a conversation piece back at the local marina during Happy hour. LOL
You don't need that... All you need is an AK47, a 12 guage pump shot gun and a nine millimeter automatic pistol. Don't show no one, they are not for conversation while at happy hour. They are only to be used at an attemped but failed boarding by pirates. when I say Pirates, I don't mean fisherman trying to sell fish. I think your intuition will let you know the ill will of pirates and their intentions. And don't carry firearms into countries that prohibit them and by all means declare them if required.
Old 22-04-2007, 16:34   #94

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Alegria,

I don't imagine she was cleaning the gun at 3 AM. Surely you have more details - failed suicide attempt, drunken stupidity, or shot at robbers but was holding the gun backwards? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kevin
Old 22-04-2007, 20:23   #95
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Even in paradise, accidents (??) do happen with guns. Sometimes we can't protect ourselves from ourselves.
Or guns in the wrong hands can be deadly?

Ya never hear about "accidents" or murders with guns in the hands of sane and sober people?

The problem seems to be too many guns in the wrong hands..not the "right" hands..yet the NRA and the supporters of no gun control keep advocating less gun control to protect their arses against guns in the wrong hands....
Anything wrong with this picture?

Quote:
Apparently a woman had shot herself in the head with a 38 holllow point and needed medical attention. From what we hear it she was only grazed.
If she did not have a gun on the boat, she would not need medical attention.

(I know, I know, the gun advocates says she could have cut her head off with a chainsaw or blown herself up with TNT or plutonium..The gun is not at fault, she is at fault....Not the gun: The gun is benign and innocent just like a paperclip..Not danger with a loaded gun: People kill people, not guns..ha, loaded guns are for protection and good for mankind...The more guns the better. Do not restrict guns, because then only the criminals would have guns, etc..)

Old 23-04-2007, 09:05   #96

Boat: 30' Hunter
After readin all these posts (it took awhile)I figure I'd go the no gun on board route. One of those spear guns for fishin like in the movie Dead Calm could serfice if it was really required. Great info for nebies. Imagine if all those people in them fighting episodes on Jerry Springer had guns LOL.
Cheers
Old 23-04-2007, 16:10   #97

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
"Imagine if all those people in them fighting episodes on Jerry Springer had guns LOL."

Considering the idiots on Jerry Springer, I think the world would be a better place.
Concerning the lady that shot herself in the head and missed, was this a botched suicide attempt or doesn't she know what end the bullet comes out?

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Old 02-05-2007, 07:33   #98

Boat: In the market
Very close

to the same # of annual deaths by firearms and alcohol related traffic accidents.

"In 2005, there were 16,885 alcohol-related traffic crash fatalities." NTSB

So if the statment of "no guns, no gun deaths" is valid then maybe we should outlaw drinking too. Or has that been tried already?
Old 09-05-2007, 13:00   #99
cruiser

You could light up your cutting torch adjust it for perfect burning, then brush the flame out and fill an inverted water filled bottle with the gas, displacing the water. Then you put a cap on it and a fine wire taped to the end of an extension cord . You then run the extension cord below decks near your battery and hang the water bottle in the rigging. If you hear someone on deck in the nioght you connect the extension cord tot he battery. This burns the wire in the bottle off , igniting ht e oxy propane mix with an earhth shattering expolosion.
Old 08-02-2008, 21:57   #100

Boat: Hunter 25.5
Land or sea, you will find me, with my little 45, ACP
Old 09-02-2008, 04:45   #101

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
No guns . . . no hassles . . . no "accidents". Managed to live 51 years in urban America without one, managed to travel all the continents without one.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04   #102
Armchair Bucketeer

Still no gun, but I was at the local DIY store today picking up bits and bobs, and on impulse bought.........an axe

If I get any trouble onboard (Pirates / Terrorists or Aliens) I shall now be able to wave my 24oz hand held chopper at them If that sight does not scare the buggers off then I will be in trouble
Old 09-02-2008, 10:23   #103

Hey as long as we have another gun thread up, I might as well ask this question that's been on my mind. What about swords? It seems like a couple of nice swords stowed properly would not be dangerous, could be used for protection (about as unlikely to be needed as a gun), and might not be as highly regulated as fire arms. Anyone carry a nice sword or machete on board?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:46   #104
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I always carry a machete (or cutlass, as it's called around here) on the boat. I mostly use it for opening coconuts, but I could come in handy if I got into a sword fight with a midnight boarder. My three D-cell Maglight would be a pretty good billy club, too.

Regarding guns, I never thought it was too smart to be shooting inside a plastic boat, so I've never been tempted to carry one.
Old 09-02-2008, 13:48   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I mostly use it for opening coconuts,
Clearly, The preferred weapon when battling coconuts.
Closed Thread