Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 03:53   #151

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by john connell View Post
...Not like in the USA where you can ,as far as I am aware get guns and ammo down the aisles at some local stores....
No, guns cannot be purchased this way anywhere in the USA, although ammunition is available for 18(long gun ammo)/21(hand gun ammo) year olds in many states. In those States with the most generous gun possession laws you still need to present ID and get a check done (either through NICS or the old paper method) before being able to purchase. Unfortunately there are no training requirements in those states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john connell View Post
Not sure if I have this right but in some countries like Switzerland and other European countries even the police do not carry firearms and the mortality rates by gun shot are extremely low.
In other countries where firearms are are an extension of life like even going down the shop (Australia included ) deaths by firearms are much higher.
Not a political view just an observation.
Unfortunately the facts don't bear out that observation. Case in point is the UK where short gun ownership has been effectively banned for several years. Studies show that violent crime as well as crime fatalities have not decreased. I won't point out URLs to support this, but a simple Google search will show you several reputable sources for that conclusion.
It is interesting that in the USA, both the "pro" and "anti" gun factions use the Unified Crime Reporting data as the source for their statistics. For those who wish to look at raw data and form their own opinion, FBI Uniform Crime Reports is a great source. Looking through the numbers presented there gives a good insight into "spin"; reaffirming the saying "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" by Disraeli.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:00   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Let's try to keep the debate a little more focussed on cruising issues (firearms & safety), and leave our personal philosophies for other forums.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:23   #153

whats the point Gord, I gave a scenario on a cruising boat of how things can go wrong...no countries , no named or implied persons . "just a simple verbal illustration" It was pulled....in the mean time all sorts of non cruising "stuff" have continued here.....as I said whats the point....
Old 09-07-2008, 04:25   #154

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
lodesman,
I think I gave excellent advise. DONT CARRY GUNS ON A BOAT.

Seriously, why is that Americans are the ONLY crusiers who carry guns.
Because America has an active and wealthy gun lobby that has a lot invested in convincing Americans that carrying guns makes them safe and, more importantly, strong.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Unfortunately the facts don't bear out that observation. Case in point is the UK where short gun ownership has been effectively banned for several years. Studies show that violent crime as well as crime fatalities have not decreased. I won't point out URLs to support this, but a simple Google search will show you several reputable sources for that conclusion.
It is interesting that in the USA, both the "pro" and "anti" gun factions use the Unified Crime Reporting data as the source for their statistics. For those who wish to look at raw data and form their own opinion, FBI Uniform Crime Reports is a great source. Looking through the numbers presented there gives a good insight into "spin"; reaffirming the saying "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" by Disraeli.
I will post an URL for you.

Crime Statistics for England and Wales - British Crime Survey: Violent crime

Violent crime in the UK is down 43% since 1995. Not sure where Google took you, but that was the first thing that popped up when I searched "UK violent crime statistics". BTW...a third of UK violent crime is domestic violence.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:37   #156

I have never been in a situation that made me think, "Man, if I only had a gun!" (other than driving). I can't think that I will have something come up while I am sailing that is going to change that. In ANY situation, your best defense is your BRAIN.

Which makes it understandable why some people feel the need to carry guns.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:48   #157

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I prefer BBC as a source, check BBC News | UK | Violent crime on the rise which I got using "violent crime UK"
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This thread <Carrying firearms while cruising> began over a year ago with a simple question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanaller
Does anyone out there have information regarding carrying firearms for protection while cruising ...
Obviously, the many replies have expanded the subject way beyond the original question. We’ve long-ago left the realm of dispassionate advice, and entered into that of emotional philosophical advocacy.
No good can come of arguing the merits and/or dangers inherent in an armed citizenship, and/or various interpretations of crime statistics et al..

It’s worth noting that “vanaller” has never posted again.

Can anyone offer a valid reason this thread should continue?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:57   #159

So do i.......
Quote:
The rise in robbery figures is partly blamed on teenage boys stealing mobile phones from other youngsters
oh good stuff

and the very last paragraphs of the article.

Quote:
However, five of these nine forces have changed the way they record crime which results in a higher proportion of incidents being recorded, he said.
Mr Wiles predicted that if those five had not changed their methods the total number of recorded crimes would have fallen 3.5%.
lovly stufff

now I noticed in there that cruising boats was a major part of their discussion.....
Old 09-07-2008, 04:58   #160

NO !!!!!!!!
Closed Thread