Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 22:47   #31

Re: Missing Boats Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I thought that mess came stock on a Hans Christian. Most of them that I've seen cruising have one just like it.
I have to clean all that crap off of mine. And by crap of course I mean: Honda generator, scuba air tank, dinghy gas can.

I'm getting ready for the hydrovane install and it's going to go right up through that platform.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 22:52   #32

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Just build a second story.
You have a good excuse Eric- a wife, a baby, and a 3 year old with accessories take up some space.
Old 16-06-2013, 00:32   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Lol. Actually I'm a atheist I do take chances, but I'm not foolhardy.
My motto from my old army regiment is"Who Dares Wins".

Were you really a member of "the regiment" bazzer? Which squadron?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 01:40   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

To be fair, most of the "Missing boat" threads are created by folks onshore who have little idea about boats let alone what exactly is onboard the vessel in question. Indeed, often enough no real idea what the actual plan for the voyage is meant to be, and sometimes not even the destination - or departure point!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 01:55   #35
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

It is a good thing you have all of those things, you surely will need them.
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 02:26   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Boats Threads

Quote:
Lol. Actually I'm a atheist I do take chances, but I'm not foolhardy.
My motto from my old army regiment is"Who Dares Wins".
Actually... your face looks sorta familiar... were you with an SA bloke in Viviero, N. Spain a couple or 3 years ago...? lost a mast if I remember correctly..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 02:45   #37
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Sorry, wrong face. I suppose if you have the dough to spend on all the fancy equipment maybe you can't lose from it all. But when you depend upon those things, and they fail, we are wise to have the old backups, a good sailplan that we stick to, a raft we can depend upon and perhaps a device of modern convenience, a sat phone which is waterproof. If you have to ditch in gale conditions, or get hit by a whale that remembers her made drowning after being harpooned, well, we can't guard against it all.
la vida nueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 03:03   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing Boats Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Sorry, wrong face. I suppose if you have the dough to spend on all the fancy equipment maybe you can't lose from it all. But when you depend upon those things, and they fail, we are wise to have the old backups, a good sailplan that we stick to, a raft we can depend upon and perhaps a device of modern convenience, a sat phone which is waterproof. If you have to ditch in gale conditions, or get hit by a whale that remembers her made drowning after being harpooned, well, we can't guard against it all.
Are you Bazzer as well... ??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 03:43   #39

Quote:

Daddle Mate, how the hell can you comment on a picture of a cruising boat from a faraway shot? This was my True North 34 which was sold a year ago. She was fully equipped for water sailing">blue water sailing. The day of the picture the wind blew at 30 knots plus and we all enjoyed the sail. I'm not perfect, but in sixty years of sailing I've not lost a boat yet. And you?
Well, even from far away one can imagine that boat being swept by a "blue water" wave. If she and her passengers survive that without bring impaled on some poorly stowed gewgaws then all that clutter will be swept off the deck, making the decks shipshape at the same time as she founders with the yard sale clutter in her prop and rudder gear.

"Fully equipped for blue water" is not even close to "seaworthy". Fully equipped comes from a catalog. Seaworthy comes from forethought and the experience of the ages. Experience says to expect some surprisingly powerful conditions out at sea - conditions that clean the decks of the condominium lifestyle and barnyard clutter.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 04:34   #40

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

What is going on here this morning ? Some one just found out on Fathers Day that they have kids they didn't know about.

To good a day up here to not go sailing.
Old 16-06-2013, 05:19   #41

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Such a "holier than thou" attitude is hardly a place to start a discussion on vessels lost at sea, where lives have or may be lost, particularly when you have NO CLUE as to what has or did happen to these boats...

If you wish a thread about "conservative preparations for passagemaking" then fine, start a thread about it, but don't link it to recent events where sailors may or did end up dead.

Remember : "there but for the grace of God"

Quote:
All these endless posts on the subject of missing boats. What self respecting skipper goes to sea, even on a day trip, without a fully functioning boat? I use my AIS, weather forecasting etc on every trip. My boat, a Hans Christian 38 has a life raft, MOB gear, SSB radio with a Pactor, two Epirbs, VHF (both fixed installation and two handhelds, working radar etc. etc.
Did I miss something?
Bazzer
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:59   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Remember : "there but for the grace of God"
or "there but for some forethought.........by self"?
Old 16-06-2013, 11:04   #43

Mobility. I'm not holy at all. I've never lost a mast in Spain and I don't have much money, just a UK OAP pension. But I do keep all that sail with me safe and sound.
Of course you can sail without any safety equipment or common sense. Remember Slow Speed Chase? Nice boat, poor judgement
The boat in the picture is in fact a True North 34 and the only stuff hanging off the pushpit are some fenders, not a bad place for them, remember in a MOB situation you throw the victim anything that floats and that includes the horse bouy, life sling and fenders etc. oh, all of my crew wear good quality PFD's

Happy Fathers Day you all !

Ps thanks for all the responses and PM me if you want to go for a sail in San Diego maybe the crusty old man can teach the ignorant a thing or two
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 11:21   #44

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think Bazzer is mostly right, though. It seems that the LD didn't have much of anything for emergencies. You don't have to be set up like the Baz but how about one sat phone or personal locating beacon ($240 new or about $100 used) or something. Anything. Damn.
Old 16-06-2013, 11:34   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Of course you can sail without any safety equipment or common sense.
IME those two are definitely not linked! (if only common sense or seamanship could be bought from West Marine!).....albeit some of the first may (or may not!) form part of "your" common sense, but nonetheless those choices are never universal.....especially those pieces of kit which have SFA to do with "safety" (despite the sales patter) and are actually about rescue - when "your" approach to "safety" has been proven insufficient.........

Quote:
Ps thanks for all the responses and PM me if you want to go for a sail in San Diego maybe the crusty old man can teach the ignorant a thing or two
Sometimes on the internet it is hard to tell who is actually a nice fella (or lady!), methinks few will be biting arm off for that invite. The irony is that on CF I am generally nice and friendly , whereas in real life I am a complete sh#t .