Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 19:48   #16

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Missing Boats Threads

If you take all the deaths and loss that happens in/on our waters, from a statistical perspective, that bottle in your hand is the most deadly thing you could take to sea with you. I'll bet my bottom dollar you have excellent refrigeration on that christian ship.
Operating a vessel under the influence and sitting at a keyboard half in the bag is a reckless and foolish thing to do.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 20:50   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Missing boats threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well like Raku said, everyone can't buy a Hans Christian and a full inventory of every electronic safety device available.

Plus you know what, no matter what boat you have, sometimes "stuff" happens. I can think of a dozen scenarios that would leave you little or no time to use your electronics to call for help.

Just for starters, all the junk loose in the Pacific since the Tsunamai in Japan.

There's stuff like that in the Atlantic, just not as much. Fact is, a boat can sink pretty quickly under bd enough circumstances.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 20:53   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Grain de Soleil had an EPIRB, which was activated . . . and still they were never found.

Ditto for poor Jay. Although he was found eventually, clearly something went badly wrong for him.

It happens. IMO, anyone who doesn't recognize that sailing is a sport with risks is out in La La Land.
Old 15-06-2013, 20:56   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Darn, I just don't know how Connie and the kid's and I sailed all those miles before a lot of the stuff your so in love with, was even available !! I guess we should have lived ashore where it's safe LOL Come on Bazzer, theres all kinds of folks sailing pretty safely without spending all there money on electronic stuff that has a real chance of going tits up at the most terrible times !! Maybe ya should talk to some folks sailing all over the place without the things you would not even leave the dock without !! You might find that your one of the lucky folks with a lot of extra boat bucks to spend on things that are not really nessary to sail safely !! Just my 2 cents

You took a risk.

You mitigated it by learning what the heck you were doing, but you still took a risk.

The fact is that we are dying from the moment we're born. We're not guaranteed any length of time on this planet. We don't have to take stupid risks, but as I've said before, there's no point not sailing because it can be dangerous -- most accidents happen in the home.
Old 15-06-2013, 20:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

In that picture: are you having a garage sale on the aft deck? That mess is risky in my opinion. I would not cast off the lines until that flea market was stowed below. Even for a Sunday sail.

I would go to sea without electronics before going like that ... So our opinions vary considerably about what makes a safe seaworthy boat.
Daddle Mate, how the hell can you comment on a picture of a cruising boat from a faraway shot? This was my True North 34 which was sold a year ago. She was fully equipped for water sailing">blue water sailing. The day of the picture the wind blew at 30 knots plus and we all enjoyed the sail. I'm not perfect, but in sixty years of sailing I've not lost a boat yet. And you?
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
If you take all the deaths and loss that happens in/on our waters, from a statistical perspective, that bottle in your hand is the most deadly thing you could take to sea with you. I'll bet my bottom dollar you have excellent refrigeration on that christian ship.
Operating a vessel under the influence and sitting at a keyboard half in the bag is a reckless and foolish thing to do.
Who said I was sailing with the excellent brew in hand? You are making assumptions matey. And that boat was not was not Christian at all.
The boat is dry. !! What's the problem? Buy the way, I wish my cabin was that large. My boozing was in a shore side pub
Old 15-06-2013, 21:04   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Who said I was sailing with the excellent brew in hand? You are making assumptions matey. And that boat was not was not Christian at all.
The boat is dry. !! What's the problem?

Bazzer, if you're going to criticize (and you did) you'd better be ready to be critiqued in return, or people will think you can dish it out but not take it.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Bazzer, if you're going to criticize (and you did) you'd better be ready to be critiqued in return, or people will think you can dish it out but not take it.
Who did I criticize? But it best if you get your facts right before you do.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:19   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Racu, Risks? When we started there were sat nav and loran, I had a few years sailng experince, 2 pacific crossings, and a GOOD sextant, current charts,and good radio for getting the time, and we did have the best life raft avaiable at the time ! I feel I took a lot less risks then many of the sailors of the 60s and 70s. One of The things about sailors of today is there total inability to go to sea and get where there going if there electronics go away, which they do all the time ! When we started out there were only a few folks out there with even sat nav!! Now folks go to sea with cell phones with a nav app on them !! Heck I would rather find my way to Hawyee from the jet streams then depend on a Phone !! All im saying is theres more to seaman ship then looking at a electronic screen, just my 2 cents
Old 15-06-2013, 21:36   #25

Quote:
Racu, Risks? When we started there were sat nav and loran, I had a few years sailng experince, 2 pacific crossings, and a GOOD sextant, current charts,and good radio for getting the time, and we did have the best life raft avaiable at the time ! I feel I took a lot less risks then many of the sailors of the 60s and 70s. One of The things about sailors of today is there total inability to go to sea and get where there going if there electronics go away, which they do all the time ! When we started out there were only a few folks out there with even sat nav!! Now folks go to sea with cell phones with a nav app on them !! Heck I would rather find my way to Hawyee from the jet streams then depend on a Phone !! All im saying is theres more to seaman ship then looking at a electronic screen, just my 2 cents
I fully agree, I always have paper charts, a hand held sighting compass etc as well as a sextant stowed somewhere. If you can't afford these basic items, sextant excepted, and the knowledge as to how to use them, you shouldn't be skippering a boat.
Old 15-06-2013, 21:44   #26

I believe we post missing boat threads so we can learn from them.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 21:54   #27
cruiser

Quote:

You sailed. Therefore you did take risks. You were well prepared for them, which made the risk MUCH smaller than, say, me doing what you were doing. I think electronics are fine, useful tools. But I would no more cross the Atlantic depending only on them than I would drive my car the wrong way on the freeway. It would just be foolish. Anything electronic can fail.

I don't MIND using electronics. Especially when I'm sailing by myself, it's a challenge to read the chart in the cockpit. There's no place to spread it out. I have to go below for that, and that leaves no one at the helm, something that creeps me out. I don't like going below for one minute total to leave, get down there, pee and get back to the helm. (The fact that I was hit for no good reason by a boat that had no one at the helm strongly influences me on this! Yeah -- the jerk had his auto pilot on in fairly rough water, sitting right up against the cabin wall. His wife was below making their lunch. His autopilot suddenly lurched to port -- and raked right across my stern. Left bottom paint on it.

But I digress. The point is that I would learn celestial navigation before doing that. In addition, I would have done a lot of plot charting on my chart and know what distance my boat was likely to cover under varying circumstances in case we couldn't take our shoots when we needed to (overcast, for instance,) so our DR would be within the ball park.

Electronics are convenient but are no substitute for knowing what the heck you are doing.

No, I haven't learned celestial navigation yet. On the other hand, I'm not going to cross an ocean relying only on electronics.
Old 15-06-2013, 22:06   #28

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
In that picture: are you having a garage sale on the aft deck? That mess is risky in my opinion. I would not cast off the lines until that flea market was stowed below. Even for a Sunday sail.

I would go to sea without electronics before going like that ... So our opinions vary considerably about what makes a safe seaworthy boat.
I thought that mess came stock on a Hans Christian. Most of them that I've seen cruising have one just like it.
Old 15-06-2013, 22:09   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I thought that mess came stock on a Hans Christian. Most of them that I've seen cruising have one just like it.

There's one in our marina, and it's beautifully kept, but I noticed while being on it, that it loans itself to looking cluttered on the outside.
Old 15-06-2013, 22:45   #30

To the thread starter, I'm with you. Those of us on Hans Christians are simply smarter, more able, and definitely loaded with more humility than your typical sailor.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote