Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 08:48   #1
Ray

Maxsea problem

I have a problem with Maxsea 7.3.5, I recently bought a new computer (win Xp pro, asus a7N8X-E MO Bo, 1GB Ram, AMD 3000)
Maxsea installs ok but when I try to run it I get the message.
Memory dangerously low operations may fail, followed by cannot access save file or folder then maxsea closes. This version of maxsea run fine on other computers running XP.
Does anybody have any idea what I can do?

- Stuck in Tunisia without charts-
Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 07:46   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Increase Virtual memory size

Although 1GB should be adequate memory, you may want to increase the size of your Virtual memory pool. That's in the performance tab of your system panel of the control panel. You probably want to make sure you have at least 256mb for the initial allocation and perhaps 640mb for the high water mark.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 02:27   #3

maxsea charts

I have exactly the same problem as Ray - trying to install on XP Pro with 2 gig RAM - not a computer memory problem - just some thing in xp pro blocking the loading of maxsea 7.3 - most annoying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir
Although 1GB should be adequate memory, you may want to increase the size of your Virtual memory pool. That's in the performance tab of your system panel of the control panel. You probably want to make sure you have at least 256mb for the initial allocation and perhaps 640mb for the high water mark.
tooshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 04:19   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
I have a problem with Maxsea 7.3.5, I recently bought a new computer (win Xp pro,
I run Maxsea 10.3 and initial recommend was to run it on win 2000. However, I now have it up and running fine on XP.

You could partition the hard drive and provide an older op sys + maxsea for nav, and the other partition on XP pro
Old 15-12-2006, 04:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
How full is the hard drive? If it needs to increase the pagefile and there isn't enough room to do so it will give you an error similar to what you have gotten.

You should not need to tweak the virtual memory settings under XP. It generally does a fine job on its own, provided there is enough disk space.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 07:44   #6

maxsea problem

25 gb used 75 left so doubt that is the problem - thanks anyway
Old 15-12-2006, 07:47   #7

good idea Xp seems to run it on my old cybermax but xp pro and the dell will not accept the program - the old IBM and 98 worked even better. Tried running the compatibility feature but makes no difference - watch this space
Old 15-12-2006, 07:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
You could also use virtualazation software to create a virtual PC and install 2000 or XP Home or whatever you think will fit the bill.

VMware: Virtualization, Virtual Machine & Virtual Server Consolidation - VMware is nice, and they are doing more stuff for free.
I have heard good things on Microsofts virtual stuff, but I have not used it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 08:55   #9

We run Max Sea 11.0 on several laptops using XP and Windows 2000 with no problems but it sure is cranky to start up Maxsea. A true PITA to match up to the instruments. We ended up with a Shimodule Multiplex so I would not pull out all my hair.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:12   #10

It wold appear that the Maxsea program is unable to recognize more than 1GB virtual memory. If you decrease rather than increase the min size of VM, under XP, to less than 1 GB it works
kimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:24   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ray, call Maxsea and call Asus or get a competent techie to look it over. There are many ways to allocate memory on computers, for instance, you may have 256MB of memory "locked out" for video use, another 256MB "locked out" for hibernation support, system options or background programs like firewalls and antivirus consuming more of it...You think you've got lots of free memory, the Maxsea says you don't. And that may be right--in the above scenario you would have less than half of your 1GB or memory free for use, and the OS could be taking up half again of that.

You'll need to get into the details of how much memory is actually in use, by what, and what Maxsea's memory requirements are. You'll need numbers, and a list of what's using how much.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 22:21   #12

Maxsea Problem with virtual memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have a problem with Maxsea 7.3.5, I recently bought a new computer (win Xp pro, asus a7N8X-E MO Bo, 1GB Ram, AMD 3000)
Maxsea installs ok but when I try to run it I get the message.
Memory dangerously low operations may fail, followed by cannot access save file or folder then maxsea closes. This version of maxsea run fine on other computers running XP.
Does anybody have any idea what I can do?

- Stuck in Tunisia without charts-
Ray
Dear all,

Had the same problem. Problem started as soon as i upgraded my ram from 512mb to 1.5gb. reverting back to 512mb cleared the problem.

To overcome this problem after upgrade i set my virtual memory "initial size" to 200mb and leaving the maximum size as it is. Since i heard that Maxsea 7.3 can only manage up to 512mb of virtual memory without any problem. 200mb can be higher if wanted but maxsea just worked fine, so i left it at 200mb.

hope this helps,

brian.
mbrian21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:18   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Since i heard that Maxsea 7.3 can only manage up to 512mb of virtual memory without any problem."
Virtual memory is what used to be called a "paging file". When the system runs out of real memory, it swaps out blocks of information to a "paging file" on the hard drive, and pretends that is additional "virtual" memory. This is a clever trick NT has used for a long time--but in a properly configured machine, virtual memory is neither necessary nor recommended. It is SLOW and if you don't lock the size of the memory file (by setting the minimum and maximum to the same number) then it also fragments the hard drive and the memory file, by constantly changing the amount of the drive it is using and dodging around other files.
A machine with adequate physical (real) memory can and should have virtual memory disabled, under any NT OS including XP and Vista.

Aside from that..most programs and most OSes have limits as to how much memory they can use/manage. It is possible to have "too much" memory for the software to use properly, and if that's the case--you have to change the software or configure the system to work with its limits.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00   #14

I don't know how old Maxsea 7.3.5 is - the current version is 12.6.x.

Try: right click the icon or executable and select properties. Click the Compatibility tab and select some older version of Windows.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 15:31   #15

You cannot modify virtual memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrian21 View Post
Dear all,

Had the same problem. Problem started as soon as i upgraded my ram from 512mb to 1.5gb. reverting back to 512mb cleared the problem.

To overcome this problem after upgrade i set my virtual memory "initial size" to 200mb and leaving the maximum size as it is. Since i heard that Maxsea 7.3 can only manage up to 512mb of virtual memory without any problem. 200mb can be higher if wanted but maxsea just worked fine, so i left it at 200mb.

hope this helps,

brian.
But one can't modify virtual memory, what you modify is the amount of space you reserve for paging files (which is the amount of hard drive space to be used as a RAM in case the RAM is full).
The only way to truly modify virtual memory is to take a screw driver and remove/add bars of RAM .

Anyway, I did change the virtual memory paging files, as above suggested, and it didn't work. Of course.
Fred999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxsea