Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:21   #31

Hello, other problems. I had an Acer Aspire 3500, worked prima till the moment I salt water came over it, fat to late we saw it, nothing works anymore. There was no much on it; my MaxSea was the most important of al. If I tray to download from my original CD it wont start, it gives me an error warning. What to do?
mbu745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24   #32

Boat: Privilege 37
salt water is not good for electronic circuits. If it is failed already, I reckon I would remove the hard drive, and CD. I would try fresh water to remove the salt, and then drying. I have no idea if it would work, but doing nothing isnt going to be effective either.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:56   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

mbu, if you value your data, buy another same model computer, swap in the old hard drive and CD and see if they will work in it. Odds are the hard drive, which is sealed, hasn't taken salt water damage unless you see white crusts and the like on the connections to it, so it can be used elsewhere.

Or take it in to an Acer service facility, and let them check that out for you before you invest in another computer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:00   #34

Hellosailer and Talbot, thanks for the info's, I handed in the Acer, they said it’s good for the "bin", so I threw it away and bought an other laptop, I never thought of taking out the hard disk witch was a big mistake. They checked the MaxSea CD and there conclusion was that it was damaged as well, so I tried to install the CD myself on the new laptop and it failed. What now?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:33   #35

Assumng that it is official software, send an email to the company and ask if you return it, will they replace it?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Talbot suggests, most companies will sell you replacement media (not a new license, but replacement media) for a nominal sum.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 16:54   #37

Hello everyone
Need help with Maxsea (v.11) GPS (Fururno 32) connection. When I connect the GPS to my laptop (have Windows vista) Maxsea does not shows the position, but I can see that the GPS send data. Anybody can help me with that?
irma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 16:58   #38

more maxsea problems

Hello everyone
Need help with Maxsea (v.11) GPS (Fururno 32) connection. When I connect the GPS to my laptop (have Windows vista) Maxsea does not shows the position, but I can see that the GPS send data. Anybody can help me with that?
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03   #39

Boat: Privilege 39
Need some more details... How is it connected, what protocol (NMEA?), what did you use to verify the GPS is sending data, etc...

(P.S. rather than continuing this thread, it's OK to start a new one specific to your problem/topic)
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25   #40

The GPS is conected through USB - Serial Port adapter. The data fom the GPS is read and interpreted by Other Aplication (Seaclear, C MAP) without probem.
Maxsea recognises the reading on the DATA DISPLAY if I set the input setting on "Furuno CIF" instead of "NMEA 183" but not on the CALCULATION. So no Boat on the map.
(The GPS a FURUNO 32 worked perfectly with Maxsea 11 on the last PC)
Do you need more information?

Started a new thread "Maxsea GPS connection problem"
Old 08-09-2008, 15:52   #41

Maxsea can be a beast to set up, but it is worth it. Your problem is almost certainly that the message stream being sent by the GPS is different to that which your set up is expecting. position course and speed can be sent by several different NMEA messages. The page showing what is being transmitted will show you which nmea sentences are being received from the GPS, you then just need to set up the input to expect to see those messages.
Old 08-09-2008, 19:13   #42

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
That's weird, I've always been able to use version 7.3 on every computer I've loaded it on to. My current computer accepted version 10.3(?) as well until I went on line and Bill Gates upgraded it to SP2, now it's up to SP3 and won't take 10.3 or 11.?. but the old 7.3 always works. George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02   #43

Hi Talbot

Since I can only see what is comming if I set the com to "FURUNO CIF" the possibilities are only 2. for the position (CLL) only "21" and "24" (what ever thats meens). The COG and SOG have similar numbers. So still no results.
Thanks for help. I am off sailing for the next month
Old 10-09-2008, 11:00   #44

Irma, I am not ignoring you, but need to load Maxsea back on to my system, in order to provide you with details. I will do so as soon as possible, but am rather busy at the moment - 12 hour days and next weekend work as well,

If you are desperate, let me know and I will try, but otherwise leave for a couple of weeks and I will give you chapter and verse.
Old 10-09-2008, 14:00   #45

Helo Talbot and Hellosailer, that's a very good advice, I'll contact today the company and gone ask for a replacement. Thanks. mbu745

Tags
maxsea