Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2009, 03:36   #16

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
There are various navigation-related google earth overlays at this site.
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 04:21   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
While I know the original question was asking more about just looking for fun, which is fine, I still don’t think you would want to use Google Maps without a chart or a guide book.

This isn’t the best example but it’s what I came up with off hand (I suggest opening up the links in different windows):

This is Cape Hatteras Inlet as viewed by Google Maps

First question. See the markers? No? Neither do I. So what is the route you intend if you want to go to the North Island (Hatteras). You could follow the shore line thinking “if the boat in the photo can do it so can I”. But that isn’t really all that wise. You might decided to about the midpoint between the three landmasses before turning East. That way you stay in the blue so to speak. However, that might not be such a good idea either due to the wreck which you can see on the chart/photo here if you move the NOAA slider one or two to the right.

Perhaps you would rather try Ocracoke Inlet to the South. It’s a lot deeper there... of course it also abruptly goes from 45’ to 2’. Oh, and breakers offshore. No problem!

Graveyard of the Atlantic man, with over a thouseand ships. I’m just throwin’ that out there.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 06:20   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
While I know the original question was asking more about just looking for fun, which is fine, I still don’t think you would want to use Google Maps without a chart or a guide book.
Did someone here suggest that? Who? They must be crackers!

But sometime in the future our charts will look very much like Google Earthg but with the markers and nav info superimposed. And maybe for free too. Remember the US Government has already made whe whole coast of the USA available for free.
As a matter a safety I think the US Government has done more that every other country!

So in the future instead of buying a paper chart to do 100 square miles for $50, or a computer chip for $300 for one area I wouldn't be surprised if we get it free, in real time, from a satellite broadband service and all we will need to do is look at the ads of the business that surround the waypoints we plug in!

How far into the future? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? I dunno, but I reckon its in the middle......

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 10:10   #19

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... If Google wanted to they could take over the worlds navigation....
If they could, they would have. But they cannot. It is not their pictures, they only show them. Would take some tough negotiating with the owner / provider of the pictures.

But technically, I believe, could be done. And if they go for such a project they have my blessing (much as I dislike their policies and some of their 'products').

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 01:42   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Another issue is if there is anything military / industry / governmental in the area they will NOT give any reasonable detail .. ;-((

b.

Someone stole my B52!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_49.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	10177  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:38   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Did someone here suggest that? Who? They must be crackers!
More a case of the general tone to me. But yes, one would be crackers to do that.
Quote:
But sometime in the future our charts will look very much like Google Earthg but with the markers and nav info superimposed. And maybe for free too....
In terms of liability I don't see this working. But, I could see providing a mix of image, chart and cloud based updates of charts from various folks with fish finders and charting software uploaded automatically.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 11:02   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
But yes, one would be crackers to do that.

Ooops.
Went up the Rio Guadiana between Spain/Portugal using google earth and GPS, charts don´t exist though I believe there is a hand drawn one in circulation now. Worked really well though obviously very different to coastal nav. That would be crackers just with GE.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth