Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49   #316

Boat: Coronet Elvstrom 38
Re: Free Routing Software. qtVlm

Thank you Oxygen77. It launches from the terminal but not from the icon and I get a window saying I am using an old version. But great, I can start playing. Thank you again.
Idiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22   #317

where is the icon ? you should try right-click and edit the shortcut, you need to change the path to qtVlm binary

when in qtVlm what is the version you find in Help/About Qtvlm ?

if you are on 32bit machine, I can try to prepare a zip file that could work on your computer
oxygen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen77 View Post
where is the icon ? you should try right-click and edit the shortcut, you need to change the path to qtVlm binary
The icon is in the Ubuntu programs window. Right click does the same as left click and starts the program which then fails on the write permissions.

Quote:
when in qtVlm what is the version you find in Help/About Qtvlm ?
3.3-5 Dec 2012 it suggests 3.4-0 is available.

Quote:
if you are on 32bit machine, I can try to prepare a zip file that could work on your computer
Thanks, mine is 32 bit.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05   #319

try to download: http://www.virtual-winds.org/oxygen/linux/qtZip.zip

unzip the content in ~/qtVlm in order to replace folders img, icon, tr and also the qtVlm binary

You should be in 3.4
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32   #320

Quote:
You should be in 3.4
And it works! Version 3.4 thank you. Now about removing the version inside /opt/qtVlm and recovering the launching icon? - Which still launches the crashing version. Can I remove it with the Ubuntu Software Center?
It appears not, the USC shows the program as installed but refuses to remove it. Click on Remove - nothing.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03   #321

I have no idea how to remove cleanly the package, the ugly way would be to do something like: sudo rm -Rf /opt/qtVlm

For the link the easy way could be to create a new link on the desktop ? Otherwise you should look on how to edit the launch menu
Old 26-07-2013, 17:59   #322

Firstly, a big thanks to matai and the other developers of this great software. I have a request but perhaps the functionality is already available and I simply have not found it.

I would like a tool in QtVlm which lets me quickly specify two or more points (that is I can keep adding extra points to make a path) and notate the distance and bearing between each of them.

Does it exist and/or is it possible?
cheers
John
JohnHockings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:02   #323

You can right-click and choose "draw a heading" (or something like that) and you will be able to measure distances and angles (loxo and ortho). If the boat compass and/or boat polar are drawn on the map the measuring will start from the center of it with other kind of data displayed, so it's better to hide them before (key "C" for compass and key "L" for polar)
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 00:51   #324

matai, many thanks. That is great. I assume for the moment that only once such measurement is possible, and not a string of measurements?
Old 28-07-2013, 09:34   #325

You could use a route in ortho-mode to measure a multiple-leg distance, but that's not very convenient. We took note of your request
Old 28-07-2013, 16:37   #326

maitai, while I am getting such helpful answers, I should ask your advice on another one. I do not have a good grasp of computer programming so please forgive me in advance if the question sounds a bit naive.

I have been using QtVlm in the Sailonline client. Sometimes the grib data (just wind speed and direction is all I am looking at) I see displayed in QtVlm is very closely matched to SOL, but at other times it is quite different. When importing grib data, does QtVlm 'interpret' this data in some way, or does it display it just as it comes from the source?

I know that the SOL client interprets the grib data it uses and 'smoothes' the wind speeds between the grib grids. I'm particularly wondering if you have any ideas on how to get them better synchronised?
cheers and thanks again.
John
Old 29-07-2013, 04:55   #327

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

maitai...

You will be pleased to learn I have just spoken with the developers of the European grib2 stream data service who promised to develop a conversion feature to the standard grib format,enabling most Windows based programs to access the data.

As one of the team,privately has engaged himself in this task,it will take a little longer,but the main thing is,we will soon again be able to access the data.

I have created a facility to use this stream data on any Android device.

Download it here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3t9...it?usp=sharing

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-07-29-08-30-04.png
Views:	176
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	64791  
Old 31-07-2013, 10:43   #328

hallo everybody

i am new to the forum and new to software.
i 'd like to post some easy questions:
when the speed values (boat, wind and vmg) are red, what do they mean?
what does "reckoning" value stand for?

thank you very much
Bowman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHockings View Post
maitai, while I am getting such helpful answers, I should ask your advice on another one. I do not have a good grasp of computer programming so please forgive me in advance if the question sounds a bit naive.

I have been using QtVlm in the Sailonline client. Sometimes the grib data (just wind speed and direction is all I am looking at) I see displayed in QtVlm is very closely matched to SOL, but at other times it is quite different. When importing grib data, does QtVlm 'interpret' this data in some way, or does it display it just as it comes from the source?

I know that the SOL client interprets the grib data it uses and 'smoothes' the wind speeds between the grib grids. I'm particularly wondering if you have any ideas on how to get them better synchronised?
cheers and thanks again.
John
SailOnline and VLM are using different models to interpolate between grib's points. We have been asked many time to adapt qtVlm to other sail simulators but it takes time and we have other priorities. Especially when the interpolation model is completely irrelevant to reality (like Virtual-Regatta for instance...). FYI a description of the interpolation model used by qtVlm can be find here (in French): Interpolation - VlmWiki
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman62 View Post
hallo everybody

i am new to the forum and new to software.
i 'd like to post some easy questions:
when the speed values (boat, wind and vmg) are red, what do they mean?
what does "reckoning" value stand for?

thank you very much
It means that you are sailing too much upwind or downwind, i.e. not in the range of the best VMG-wind.

Tags
qtVlm, software