If you want electronic charts and have a laptop
, then you can go with OpenCPN. Here is the procedure to get it up and running on a Windows machine.
1. Download OpenCPN from this link
Download OpenCPN from SourceForge.net
2. Download my NOAA chart downloading tool from this link (It may ask if you trust it, I promise you can).
3. Install OpenCPN with, accepting all the defaults (basically keep clicking "Next").
4. Ensure OpenCPN is not running, then run the ChartDownload.exe. Follow the instructions to download the charts for the regions you want (Florida). Personally I prefer Vector charts, but you can download both and try them out.
5. Once Chartdownload.exe is done, launch OpenCPN and go to settings (wrench icon), charts tab and click the "Force Full Database Rebuild" checkbox and click "Ok"
Done.. Enjoy the digital charts. In the future you can add a USB GPS puck
to make you laptop
a full chartplotter
. I recommend the puck
in this link as it connects to both American (GPS) and Russian (GLONASS) satellites.
Amazon.com: Holux M-215+ USB Mouse GPS Receiver: GPS & Navigation
If you get stuck.. PM me and I can help..