Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 17:34   #1

Best Navigation Software

What is best navigation software for cruising the Keys and Bahamas?
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:52   #2

Re: Best Navigation Software

What is "best" will depend entirely on what criteria are important to you. There is no one, single software package that is universally-recognized as being "best." There are just varying opinions (of which I'm sure you will be getting several very soon).

How you are going to use it, your budget, and what you expect it to be able to do for you, will all play into what is "best" for you.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:09   #3

I understand what you're saying but the last time I did any serious navigation was crossing the Pacific in 1979 with a compass and a sextant.
The guidance I need is to start a search for all the ordinary properties: cost, accuracy and coverage.
What system do you use?
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:14   #4

Boat: PT-11

I really, really like Coastal Explorer.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:24   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

OpenCPN is what I use. I have it on all my laptops (Ubuntu, but it runs on WinDOHs, too.) and on my four Samsung Note 3's. My Notes are rooted and running a custom ROM but it runs fine on most large Android phones and tablets, stock. The nice thing about the Android platform is the built in GPS in most units.

OCPN can interface with AIS, Radar, etc and there is even a GRIB plugin. Displays all unencrypted charts AFAIK, and I believe the more popular standards of encrypted charts, unless I am mistaken. Much of the caribbean is covered by free NOAA charts. CM93 charts are commonly used but large scale harbor charts will be unreliable due to age. There are tools for Linux (and I think Windows, too) for creating charts from Google Earth images, though of course depth and nav aids info would not be included unless you annotate yourself. Water depths can often be approximated to "can't run aground" or "might/probably/will run aground" from water color.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but OCPN is free. Except for the official build for Android, which costs a couple of bucks, I think.

The wide user base and peer suppport IMHO makes OCPN a hands down winner. Sometimes you get more than you pay for, I guess. You can pay a lot more, and get a little more. Or you can go with free OCPN. OCPN is no replacement for a full blown commercial ECDIS but most of us non commercial guys don't need all that.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:55   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
There are tools for Linux (and I think Windows, too) for creating charts from Google Earth images,
You can do that straight off the web...

https://www.venturefarther.com/

And as far as software goes - another vote for OpenCPN, easily stands up against the paid options.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
You can do that straight off the web...

https://www.venturefarther.com/

And as far as software goes - another vote for OpenCPN, easily stands up against the paid options.
That's a very handy and convenient site. Definitely has possibilityes.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:23   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
That's a very handy and convenient site. Definitely has possibilityes.
And google earth images can be so useful off the beaten track at all (or not..) IMHO, I wouldn't bother with any software which couldn't display them
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:09   #9

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have TZ Navigator and think OpenCPN is comparable for a free program. I use OpenCPN as backup, but think it would be fine for many people. Donate if you use it.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:49   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

+1 for OpenCPN

Other advantages include:

1. The ability to do charting on a notebook and/or home computer and easily export the resulting route(s) and/or waypoint(s) to any device.
  2. Install it for (essentially) free on multiple devices for redundancy. I have it on our nav computer, my notebook, my phone and my crew's phones. Redundancy is good...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 15:54   #11

If you don't mind spending a couple of quid/bucks/squids navionics has the lot. Used it to row across the Atlantic. Left la Gomera and arrived in Barbados 7 weeks later. Port info for departure and destination was completely spot on.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 16:17   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
If you don't mind spending a couple of quid/bucks/squids navionics has the lot. Used it to row across the Atlantic. Left la Gomera and arrived in Barbados 7 weeks later. Port info for departure and destination was completely spot on.
The op was regarding the Keys and Bahamas. Navionics sucks in the Bahamas. Just search a few of my posts re navionics and the Bahamas.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2017, 16:39   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If you are cruising the Bahamas the software HAS to use Explorer Charts. They are the ONLY charts that are both accurate and well edited. Monte and Sara do an amazing job. Check them out at Welcome to Explorer Chartbooks

This thread covers it pretty well... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mas-77485.html
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:20   #14

I down loaded OpenCPN on my windows 7 laptop. How do I get charts to display on the program. I assume I need to purchase charts I will be taking postion on a 1997 Block Island 40 May 2 on the Chesapeake Bay. No Chart plotter Should have a chartplotter insatall at the helm with a new generation radar that can be displayed on the chart plotter or is the new not book laptop Iphones soft ware good for the Bay and cusizing the New England Coast. Last time I took a look sail it was to South America from California and back with Sextant and radar.
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
I down loaded OpenCPN on my windows 7 laptop. How do I get charts to display on the program. I assume I need to purchase charts I will be taking postion on a 1997 Block Island 40 May 2 on the Chesapeake Bay. No Chart plotter Should have a chartplotter insatall at the helm with a new generation radar that can be displayed on the chart plotter or is the new not book laptop Iphones soft ware good for the Bay and cusizing the New England Coast. Last time I took a look sail it was to South America from California and back with Sextant and radar.
For U.S. waters, you don't need to buy charts. Nautical Charts & Pubs. Download them for free.

Tags
navigation, software