Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Simpson-Lawrance windlass question

We got a loose electric windlass with the boat. Not sure where it originally came from, as the boat has a manual Simpson Lawrence on it, too, and there's no indication the electric one was ever installed. I don't have a manuall for this thing but I just got it apart and I freed up a few things and it's now working for the most part. Apply power and the motor runs, and the gears are all in good shape and the pawl thing works, and the chain counter. But the gipsey doesn't turn. Before I go looking for parts, thought I would ask how it's supposed to work. Does clutch pressure bind the gipsy to the main shaft? Is is just friction?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:21   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Simpson-Lawrance windlass question

You don't say what windlass it is - SL? Many of them have a cone friction clutch on their gypsy that needs to be tightened for the gypsy to turn. Some tighten by an allen key, some by a handle that either fits in a slot or has a wrench key for a bolt head, some have a little wheel thing - there are many ways of implementing it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:09   #3
One of Those

. I've since found out that it's a Simpson Lawrence SeaWolf 520. I've found a manual online, and have just now printed out an exploded view. My immediate future involves disassembling the little darling and making sure all the tightening parts are there from end to end. And eliminating the unfortunate results of the marriage of iron and oxygen. An old story, oft told.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:55   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I just googled a quick image of that - it looks like on the end of the drum is a wheel piece with slots cut into it. I bet if you tighten that, it tightens the clutch. Usually there is a handle of flat bar that you stick in that and loosen to let the chain free wheel down, then tighten to raise the chain with the motor.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:46   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
. I've since found out that it's a Simpson Lawrence SeaWolf 520. I've found a manual online, and have just now printed out an exploded view. My immediate future involves disassembling the little darling and making sure all the tightening parts are there from end to end. And eliminating the unfortunate results of the marriage of iron and oxygen. An old story, oft told.
As my old friend, Jon O, always says, "Rust never sleeps."
Old 11-07-2014, 20:12   #6

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
As my old friend, Jon O, always says, "Rust never sleeps."
I guess he's a Neil Young fan.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40   #7
One of Those

I am definitely NOT a Neil Young fan. But I did find the problem. Both main shaft bearings useless. Found them online, though, and they're already ordered. Now I need to buy 6 AWG cable and a foot switch. I'm thinking a heavy duty switch that can handle 150 amps continuous should work, don't see any need to get complicated with up and down and solenoids etc. Keeping it simple. The fun just never ends, does it.

Tags
wind, windlass